Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   Installing Rear OEM Springs.. (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/installing-rear-oem-springs-239599/)

SWells679 06-02-2021 12:34 AM

Installing Rear OEM Springs..

Hey y'all. I've "de-lowered" my '05 xB and reinstalled the Factory Springs. But, now, I'm wondering how the Rear Springs get installed.
There are little, red dots strategically painted on them...but, what does that mean? Are they s'posed to face Inboard, Outboard, Fwd, Rear?

Anyone know? Thanx.

V/r
Scott

MileHightC 06-02-2021 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Based upon what I found in the Service Manual (attached) the paint marks only indicate what side is the 'bottom' of the coil spring...no indication that they have to be oriented a certain way.

SWells679 06-02-2021 03:09 PM

Thanks for the Reply and pdf. What's weird is each spring has TWO paint splotches on them (one over the next) and while they are "near" the bottom, they are actually closer to the center coils on the spring. I'm pretty sure I have them oriented as far as top & bottom goes.

Also, the wording on that note: "Be sure to install the coil spring so that the paint mark comes to under the vehicle." WTH does that mean? I could interpret to mean, facing inward.

I've look at the wear marks of the upper & lower spring insulator rubber, but they're inconclusive. Messing with it, I can talk myself into rotating several different scenarios.

Would you happen to have the Manual section for the Front Coil Springs? They have paint spots on them as well and it's probably the same marking convention (I can check later today, too).

Thanks for the help, @MileHightC.

drizzoh 06-02-2021 03:18 PM

The orientation of the OEM springs is usually not too big of a deal as they're linear in most cases. If one side is wider than the other, see which way it makes best contact in the suspension setup. Also make sure the ends of the coils butt up against the perches so everything is tightly secured and has a minimum chance of making noise. If there is any text printed on the spring, that generally signifies the orientation of the spring (should be right side up). You will need spring compressors to install the fronts.

MileHightC 06-02-2021 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SWells679 (Post 4307402)
Would you happen to have the Manual section for the Front Coil Springs? They have paint spots on them as well and it's probably the same marking convention (I can check later today, too).

No paint on the front springs but they do show you how to orient them...I'd take "comes to under the car" as pointing toward the center of the car but I don't think the rear spring orientation is hugely important as long as they're seated correctly.

SWells679 06-02-2021 03:26 PM

Thanks. Fronts are 'in'. The top of the strut mount makes make it easy to figure out spring orientation. The rears are installed and I've ordered new lower insulators (present ones are torn) and I'll work on this again.

SWells679 06-02-2021 03:29 PM

Thanks. I'll take a closer look when I install the new insulators and report back.

armygreenxb 09-23-2021 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by SWells679 (Post 4307394)
Hey y'all. I've "de-lowered" my '05 xB and reinstalled the Factory Springs. But, now, I'm wondering how the Rear Springs get installed.
There are little, red dots strategically painted on them...but, what does that mean? Are they s'posed to face Inboard, Outboard, Fwd, Rear?

Anyone know? Thanx.

V/r
Scott

The Red Dots should be on the bottom, facing out towards the rear. Here's a look before I replaced the shocks and springs.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sci...34781ec75a.jpg

typhoonorchid 10-01-2022 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by MileHightC (Post 4307401)
Based upon what I found in the Service Manual (attached) the paint marks only indicate what side is the 'bottom' of the coil spring...no indication that they have to be oriented a certain way.

Good download. I like!

skye911 01-26-2023 08:42 PM

wow, that bolt looks like it will be a tough one to loosen!

armygreenxb 02-01-2023 04:24 PM

It's actually a nut haha, but you can't tell from that pic. It was actually easy and in pretty good shape. I have new KYB shocks and mounts installed as well as original insulators and coil springs from Toyota.