Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Koni yellow adjustable shock DIY for a smoother ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Koni yellow adjustable shock DIY for a smoother ride

thank you for the very easy to understand info. hope you have the instruction like this for installing the spring.

Originally Posted by Malibu_Rapper
I hated the way my xB rode on the freeway with the sectional pavement and going over speed bumps the lunchbox seemed to hop. I did a search on SL and found that going with the Koni yellow shocks seems to fix the problem.

sohiperformance on eBay sells the shocks for just under $200 delivered. They provided me with excellent service and I highly recommend them. The installation was easy although the instructions were horrible. Total installation time should take maybe 15-20 minutes.

The one thing that was confusing for me was how to adjust the shocks. Turns out you just push the piston all the way in, then take an allen wrench and turn it counter clockwise for softer, clockwise for stiffer. I wanted as smooth a ride as possible so I went all the way counter clockwise. With the maximum stiffness setting, the piston will be very hard to pull back out as well as depress. By comparison, with the stock xB shock, you can easily tell that it's stiffer by the amount of force it takes to depress the shock.

I took my car out for a spin on the freeway and it was a LOT smoother. I think the fronts are still a bit on the stiff side but the difference is night and day.

Thanks to this jomo and thread below for the idea and advice.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...highlight=koni

Now here's the DIY

Tools needed:
1 - 14mm socket with wrench (deep socket preferably)
1 - 14mm wrench
1 - 17mm wrench
1 - 17mm socket
1 - Flathead screwdriver

It doesn't come with much. Just 2 shocks, 4 nuts, 2 plastic washers, and 2 Chinese menus. You can pretty much throw those menus away. Do one side at a time.

Step 1 - Take the screwdriver and remove the plastic cover from the rear shock tower. Exposed will be 2 nuts.

Step 2 - Take the 14mm wrench and 14mm socket wrench and while holding the bottom nut with the open ended wrench, loosen and remove the top nut with the socket wrench. Now if you have a deep 14mm socket, you can use it to remove the last nut.

Step 3 - Remove the washer and rubber bushing and this should be what you have left.

Step 4 - Go underneath the car. No need to jack the car up unless you are really big and cannot fit underneath. Find your shock, it should look like this.

Step 5 - Grab your 17mm socket wrench and remove the washer and the bolt.

Step 6 - Extract the shock by pulling the bottom of the shock off of the bolt that you just removed the nut from. Then drop the shock and remove it.

Step 7 - Remove the plastic cover off of the top of the shock by pulling it off. It should come off really easy and you might want to clean it up.

Step 8 - At this point, make sure your shock is adjusted. Pull the shock piston all the way out and take the plastic washer that came with the shocks and slip it onto the piston.

Step 9 - Put the plastic cover onto the Koni shock (sorry, no picture). Then stick the shock back into place. Installation is reverse of removal. IMPORTANT: When mounting the shock to the shock axle, the eye on the shock has a large side and a small side. You can feel which side is larger if you stick your finger in it. The large side of the eye slips over the shock axle first. If you have the eye reversed, just spin the shock around and it should slide right back in. When it is reversed, it's difficult to slip the shock onto the shock axle and push it in. When it's on correctly, it's slips on with no resistance. Take the original rubber bushing and stick it back into place as shown below. You will center the shock via the bushing.

Step 10 - Take the washer and the new Koni 17mm nut and tighten the nut until the piston begins to spin. Start the nut off with 17mm socket. Then you'll bring it all the way down with the 17mm openmouth wrench.

Step 11 - Take the other nut and tighten it. Use the openmouth wrench and socket combo, tighten the bolts up.

Step 12 - Go back under the car and tighten the 17mm nut.

Repeat the 12 step program for the other side.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have koni yellows all the way around and they work awsome! I was going to go coil-overs but i live in Puerto Rico and the pot holes are IMENSE, so i went with the next best thing, Koni yellows. I circuit race and when you put those shocks on stiff (koni wasnt freakin around) they get STIFF! I had tockicko blues on a civic once before it was stolen and no way did those shocks compare to these koni's. I recommened them greatly to ANYONE, if you want a good shock setup go with koni and your choice of springs. I chose hotchkis (got them cheap on ebay).
Old 12-12-2005, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is an old post but i gotta get some questions answered.
are the koni yellow shortened stroke?
does it come with bumpstops/dust covers?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hahajoey
are the koni yellow shortened stroke?
does it come with bumpstops/dust covers?
Standard stroke and you reuse the stock dust covers/bump stops.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dang, i thought they were shortened stroke....i guess i need something else.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To bring back an old thread... I just put mine on (very easy) and it made a huge difference... I know I'll thanking them when I do my road trip to Memphis in a few days...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah i just got a set..
the things make a BIG difference..
btw i was having trouble finding people who had it..
cuz koni is backordered till past jan..
tirerack has them IN STOCK and cheap!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these are usable with coilovers??
Old 07-11-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice write up, thanks it helped a lot
Old 06-17-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can u get them? havent been able to find any ....., lots of others but i want KONI YELLOWS!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

picture dont work
Old 01-26-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

nope...love the Koni's though
Old 01-28-2008, 04:03 PM

Talk about bringing this back from the dead, wow. :D It still is a great write up.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 PM
rvh
5 Year Member

Default Can't See the pictures

anybody know what you have to do to see the photo's? All it shows are X's instead of the photos
RVH
Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I too cannot see the pics...I have my shocks ready to be installed by me, and I have a question...

the (2) plastic washers that are included with the (4) nuts for the two rear shocks...how is it installed (since I cannot see the pics)?

1. nut/washer/nut ?
2. nut/nut/washer ? (looking down onto the piston)

thanks for the help...let me know as I want to install it hopefully by the end of this afternoon.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

#! as I recall..LOL it has been 2 yrs,,,,,,
Old 03-11-2008, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump...can someone who has had it installed give me the low down on the washer and two nuts as to how it is to be installed, as I too cannot see the photos.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks to JSosa who came to the rescue and provided me with a detailed explanation!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which was???
share the info!!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed my rear shocks (one complete turn from full soft///according to the instructions, this is 'plus 2?')..., OMG !!! I felt the improvements in both ride comfort difference and faster cornering speeds.

P-l-a-n-t-e-d!!!

Quick Reply: Koni yellow adjustable shock DIY for a smoother ride