Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Lowering springs with a softer ride? Such a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I feel for your wife, but I can't believe how particular some of you are about your ride. Don't get me wrong, I understand, but you must not have been around in the good old days of hacked or heated springs.

My wife absolutely loves the ride and look of her xB with 215/35/18s, Tanabe DF210s and stock shocks and struts. I even offered to swap the rear shocks for a set of Monroes to soften it up and she said she didn't want me too. She likes being able to fill the road.

And to be quite honest, I can hardly tell the difference from stock. But that could very well be the progression of changes. He had the car stock for 6 months then we added the wheels and tires. She road on those with stock suspension for 4 months and we just added the DF210s. To both of us there is hardly any difference between the three different set ups we have had.

I know that my wife was expecting a much stiffer ride from drop springs. She couldn't believe how smooth the DF210s turned out to be. She liked it so much that she has been trying to discourage me from pursuing the custom air suspension that I want to build for it.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have kids or drive 50 miles to and from work? I have a 7 year old and my wife has a long drive to work. At the end of the day its me who hears all the complaining. Just to make that stop is worth the new shock install. Lol
Old 05-01-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RTon20s
I feel for your wife, but I can't believe how particular some of you are about your ride. Don't get me wrong, I understand, but you must not have been around in the good old days of hacked or heated springs.

My wife absolutely loves the ride and look of her xB with 215/35/18s, Tanabe DF210s and stock shocks and struts. I even offered to swap the rear shocks for a set of Monroes to soften it up and she said she didn't want me too. She likes being able to fill the road.

And to be quite honest, I can hardly tell the difference from stock. But that could very well be the progression of changes. He had the car stock for 6 months then we added the wheels and tires. She road on those with stock suspension for 4 months and we just added the DF210s. To both of us there is hardly any difference between the three different set ups we have had.

I know that my wife was expecting a much stiffer ride from drop springs. She couldn't believe how smooth the DF210s turned out to be. She liked it so much that she has been trying to discourage me from pursuing the custom air suspension that I want to build for it.
We all know what to expect when you drop a car. If I could I would have put coilovers. But I think all we are doing (they guys with drop springs) is trying to better the ride quality with different shocks. Most guys that had put on the monroes on the back agree that the ride got much better (with an additional 1/2 drop too). it has all to do with the dampening of the monroes and that they are a little shorter too.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its definately the different dampening that makes a difference. Also I figured where some of the difference comes from is how light the vehicle is. Without the extra weight to compensate for a better ride toyota probably went with some of the lightest shocks they used. The echo is lighter than the xB. I can just imagine what the ride is like in 1 of those. Anyone tried stock echo shocks yet? Maybe a possibility of a better dampening rate at even better cost.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RaginCajun
Its definately the different dampening that makes a difference. Also I figured where some of the difference comes from is how light the vehicle is. Without the extra weight to compensate for a better ride toyota probably went with some of the lightest shocks they used. The echo is lighter than the xB. I can just imagine what the ride is like in 1 of those. Anyone tried stock echo shocks yet? Maybe a possibility of a better dampening rate at even better cost.
that might be one to try. but i dont know about going for oem shocks. might be kind of expensive from the dealers part dept.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I just put on the monroe shocks on the back tonight. Didnt have time to fully test drive them. I did take them over some rough roads and did notice that the ride does feel better. its kind of hard to explain. the stocks would kind of kick up in the back, now with the monroes it tracks better.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's because the shocks dampen better to actually absorb the bump. It all amkes more sence the more I think about it. I'm picking mine up today and will have them on later tonight. I will get some pics of stock versun monroe. Still haven't decided on springs yet. I'm thinking tein htech though. I still want all the usability with the lowered look.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

you should get a nice ride with the Htechs. My friend has a set and he likes it.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Really? Ask him if the drop is a true 1in or if its a little more? I don't want to slam the box just take some fender gap out.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

RaginCajun...

Actually I do have a wife and a 50 mile commute. 100+ miles a day is lots of fun isn't it? No kids yet though. Just got married in October, and we'd like to have some time for ourselves first.

And like I said, the wife loves the ride with the 2" drop of the DF210s. If she wasn't happy with the ride the only change I would make to start would be the Monroe shocks in the rear.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ahhhhh, newlyweds. Can't say anything there. Time for yourselves is nice. Haha. Well from experience, the first time your wife looks into the back seat and sees the baby being jarred up and down about to fly out of its carrier your wife will want a softer ride. Meanwhile, enjoy the peacefullness and full night sleep. What size rims and tires are you running with your drop?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put Tein S Techs on my xA...the drop is perfect, but the ride was rougher than I liked, so I decided to try the Monroes that everyone talked about...it was night and day! Awesome ride now, can still feel the road, but not every bump. I haven't changed the struts, and probably won't, the rears were all I needed.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by RaginCajun
Really? Ask him if the drop is a true 1in or if its a little more? I don't want to slam the box just take some fender gap out.

this is his car with 18" wheels. The drop is just a tad over 1" it all depends what you hauling.

this is the same car, he just put 15" on. Now he wants to go lower.

this is my car with megans, it dropped it 2" front and 1.9" back. with 17" wheels
Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would look into the Eibach Sportline springs. It is a 2" all around. I have the Eibach Sportlines on mine and the ride is a little softer yet responsive. I still need to replace my rear shocks because I used to have bags. The ride is not bouncy at all. They handle great around corners as well.

I believe the sportlines are in around the 250-270 range.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ohhhh! I like that htech stance. I think I'm going with those. I have seen them on ebay but have heard of some knockof teins. Any reputable sellers that you guys know of? I'm at the dealership now getting my tires balanced and trying to get some inside info. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The wife's car is currently on 215/35/18s. We may switch over to 225/35/18s once these wear out. Just to eliminate some of the stretch on the tire, not to improve ride.

And by the time we have a baby bouncing around in the back seat I plan to have the full custom air suspension fabricated and installed. Smooth cruisin' for the li'l guy (or gal if that is the case.)
Old 05-03-2006, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its gonna get fun then. I installed my shocks earlier and will have a few pics later tonight. Easy install. Took about 20 min.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pics as promised of the monroes.

This is the box they came in.

This the monroes on side of a stock shock. Its actually anout 1/2in longer.

Last pic is of the top bushing. I didnt realize it was there until it fell from the fenderwell. I used the other side as a reference as to how it went back together. Hope this pic helps someone.

I will post some thoughts about the ride tomorrow after a few miles. From a short ride tonight, I fely like the monroes were a worthwhile investment.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that what i forgot to say, that the length of the shaft is the same. but the body is shorter.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member

Has anyone tried KYB GR-2s? They make shocks/struts to fit Toyota Echos, and these shocks worked pretty well back when I was into VWs. I just got a new xb about a month ago, have Eibach Pro-Kit springs on order, and after reading this thread am now thinking about putting some new rear shocks on with the springs. Will any Echo struts/shocks fit the xb?

Quick Reply: Lowering springs with a softer ride? Such a thing?