Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

My brakes make squeaking sound (mostly when released)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 05:46 PM

Default My brakes make squeaking sound (mostly when released)

UPDATE:

I think it might be a wheel issue (and not a brake issue) after all. I posted an updated thread in the section "Wheels & Tires":

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214905

The sound happens mostly when I release the brakes and the car starts rolling forward again; the sounds follows the rotation of the wheels (a slow rotation at that point), and it sounds a little bit like a door that needs to be oiled (a squeaky/squealing sound).

Any idea what the problem might be, and what I could do about it?

Patrick

Hi all,

I just got my 2006 Scion xB on May 14 (12 days ago) from a dealership.

Two days ago, I noticed for the first time (and I think it was the first time it happened) that there was a squeaky sound coming from the passenger side (I wanna say front) when I was braking, and recently it's been doing it more after I release the brakes (as the car starts rolling forward, or as I press on the gas again, it sounds like the squealing sounds follows the rotation of the wheels for the first 1-2 seconds).

In fact, the very first time it happened, it was more than just a squealing sound--two stops in a row, as I was coming to a stop, there was some weird, louder sound and weird movements coming from what I would think is the front passenger's wheel area. It sounded and felt like a bottle of liquid was being shaken (I'm pretty sure I could hear liquid moving). I had actually also experienced that in a different xB less than a month ago (my colleague's xB, not mine).

What's the deal with that? I have been told when I bought the car from the dealer that there had been a safety inspection, and that they had changed the rear brake pads (I think). I'm fairly certain they also checked brake fluid, so I don't think that's the issue.

Can someone help me figure out what the problem is? And how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Patrick

Last edited by Patrizsche; 05-27-2012 at 01:07 AM. Reason: updated post (here: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214905)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-26-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:06 AM

UPDATE:

I think it might be a wheel issue (and not a brake issue) after all. I posted an updated thread in the section "Wheels & Tires":

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214905

The sound happens mostly when I release the brakes and the car starts rolling forward again; the sounds follows the rotation of the wheels (a slow rotation at that point), and it sounds a little bit like a door that needs to be oiled (a squeaky/squealing sound).

Any idea what the problem might be, and what I could do about it?

Patrick
Old 06-28-2012, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it sound like a metal squeeking sound? like a high pitch squeal?
If so I had something similar on my car, it turns out that there was a piece of rusted metal stuck between the rotor and the metal plate on the back of it. so that may be something to check out.