Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Planned suspension upgrade xB1, any forseeable issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Planned suspension upgrade xB1, any forseeable issues?

Stock '05 xB... I would love to be able to corner better, and reduce the horrid body roll.

I would also like to smooth out the ride so I don't feel like the box is going to fly off the ground at every pothole/bump in the road.

I don't want to lower the box, I also would really not want to replace the wheels/tires yet, maybe later but for now... no.

I've read a great deal about this, and it just seems like... I'm starting with the wrong platform (xB) and it has so many stock limitations.

Thus, I wonder if I should even bother modifying the suspension, I don't want to burn money on sway bars etc etc and find out the ride has gotten harsher etc...

Looking for thoughts/advice from any folks out there who have modified their setup on their box...

Last edited by Scratch; 04-01-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
Scikotics
SL Member

i would say you are correct in saying that you might be starting with the wrong platform if superior cornering is what you want.

now that is not to say that the box is incapable of such a thing, but i think you are on the right path again by saying that you will have to dump a good chunk of $$$ in upgrading suspension, as well as new tires.

IF i were you, I would start with a nice set of "grippy" tires.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wanting better cornering and wanting a smoother ride are (largely) mutually exclusive desires. To reduced body roll & improve grip the suspension needs to be lower & tighter. To smooth out the ride it needs to be softer & more lightly sprung.

Two things you can do that will improve grip & cornering and won't make the ride worse are to install a rear anti-sway bar & to upgrade to high-performance summer tires in the same size as stock. The anti-sway bar will only come into play in hard cornering, so it won't stiffen the ride normally and since the tires will have the same sidewall you will get more grip without the harsher ride of lower-profile tires.

Last edited by Improbcat; 03-10-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking at the TRD rear anti-sway bar, and there are of course other makers with thicker bars = stiffer, but one thing that keeps popping up "TRD recommends using this sway bar in conjunction with the TRD 18" wheel and/or lowering springs."

With stock springs, would that rear anti-sway cause issues?

I'm going to keep reading about the TRD parts, if they are worth it or not, but yeah it seems the bar + better tires may be the first best step as you mentioned...
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It won't cause issues, they just want you to buy the whole package. Having a rear anti-sway bar reduces understeer (the tendency to plow straight ahead in a corner) and makes the car more neutral. This can result in a higher chance of oversteer (ther rear end coming around in a corner) which is why they want you to upgrade to lowered springs or bigger tires to increase your grip. But when I was autocrossing my xB with stock tires & suspension and just a rear anti-sway bar I couldn't get the back end to come around no matter how I took a corner. So it isn't something you shoudl realisticlly worry about.

There are other companies with thicker bars for less money than the TRD one. I went with a Progess bar as it was the thickest at that time (not sure if it has since been surpassed).

In case you don't know it, tirerack.com is one of the best places to research tires. They'll show you every tire that fits your car and give you both professional reviews & reviews from customers who've used them on a variety of cars.

EDIT: Oh, just remembered, upgrading to monroe rear shocks should improve the ride somewhat and won't sacrifice handling much as they are designed to be soft normally and get stiffer the more they compress (as they would in a corner)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Grab some stechs, hotchkis sways, some sticky tires, and youll be set... If you dont want to modify the suspension or get new tires/lighter wheels, you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle... and frankly without changing these parts you wont get anywhere with the handling of the car...

This series of pics was taken through one corner on the dragon and you can see how flat my old car used to corner

Name:  us129photos21.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  54.7 KB
Name:  us129photos22.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  54.2 KB
Name:  us129photos23.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  55.9 KB
Name:  us129photos24.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  53.4 KB
Name:  us129photos25.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  54.6 KB
Name:  us129photos26.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  54.3 KB
Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RedneckwithanxB
If you dont want to modify the suspension or get new tires/lighter wheels, you are pretty much up the creek without a paddle... and frankly without changing these parts you wont get anywhere with the handling of the car...
Few months back I spent a good day reading your entire thread, including the Dragon run, it kinda got the itch going again to 'fix' my xB. Managed to leave it alone for 5+ years now.

I'm just trying to rationalize spending the $$ and what effect it will have. I'd love to just get new wheels/tires, and upgrade the suspension but it just seems like money at something not designed to do what I want.

So for now, trying to see...how far can I go with minimal throwing parts at it, and what kind of result I may get.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

150 bucks and four bolts to install a rear sway bar will improve your handling in a VERY noticeable way. It was the first thing I put on mine while I was still on stock suspension. It really levels out the body roll. Totally worth the money.

I have the Progress bar, but the TRD bar is identical. Hotchkis sells one that's even thicker, and the Whiteline bar is a little different in that it uses bushings and ties to the bottom of the shock.

They're all gravy.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Find a set of used springs for around $120, get the trd rear sway (to start with) from TRD sparks for $100, and when the time fits get some lighter wheels with nice tires... with spending the first $220 you will be surprised what happens
Old 03-11-2011, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pardon the 'huh?' but what is a TRD sparks?

I've been able to find both the TRD sway & the 1/1.5" white TRD springs for around $100 each with free shipping from a legit looking site. So this might not be a bad option.

ofc my wife saw this and asked me why I'm taking advice from people who have "Fail, INC" in their tags... she worries about needing to buy something for the rear passengers.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Trdsparks.com
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

If you do the lowering and stay on stock tires, it's really not bad. I use TRD springs in the winter.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 on the rear sway bar!

Cheap, easy and effective!

Robert
Old 03-12-2011, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

got a partial go-ahead for springs & the rear bar, one other item I was looking at...wondering if it would also help, half-inch spacers on the rear wheels to match the stock fronts? or would that have minimal impact at all?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

It would look nicer, that's for sure.

However, hub spacers are way better than wheel spacers, they won't stress the wheel bearings the way wheel spacers have the tendency to do.

A slightly wider track will theoretically improve things, but it's largely a cosmetic thing.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

On the xB you wont notice anything
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it is more looks than anything else, and I've read on here that 'wheel' spacers can wear out the bearings earlier, so go with the hub spacers.

So thus far, got a planned go-ahead for TRD Springs, TRD Rear Bar, 1/2" Hub Spacers, new tires this summer...

...and from that revived thread below, might have to look at some Koni Yellows set to the softest possible (maybe +1).

It seems, overall...like a functional plan that may decrease corner roll, allow better overall cornering, and soften the factory default 'stiff' ride. ...or am I missing anything?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So last shot here, looking for any "Hey don't do this, you'll cause XYZ" or "Try this etc etc" before I commit and start buying up all this gear....

Plan:
15mm Rear Hub Spacers
TRD Rear Anti Sway Bar
TRD White Springs (1" - 1.5" Drop)
Koni Yellows, Front & Rear (possibly softest setting all around)

Tire Replacement on Steelies, looking at Touring or High Performance All Season, seems the higher rated tires on Tirerack are this "General" brand...

OR looking at upgrading to a 15x7 such as a set of Kosei K1 TS @ 12.6lbs with 195/55-15

So, thoughts, suggestions, general ideas of what will happen going from bone stock 90k old xB to this?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

General tires aren't bad, especially their higher grade tires. They are decent for the price. Kosei wheels are pretty good, obviously lightweight, and are quite strong considering.

I think with the planned upgrades you will notice a night and day difference compared to the stock setup. Also noticed it wasn't mentioned yet, but while you're at it why not spend another $17~ and upgrade your front end link bushings as seen here https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...y+bar+bushings.

Keep us updated.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:22 AM

Default trd susp

hey man i dont know if u are interested but i have a brand new set of trd struts and shocks for 1st gen xb and also for xa if u know any one with one. i'm looking to get 125.00 for a set.brand new in box, dean.