Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   Power Steering Issue (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/power-steering-issue-236257/)

GreggVA 07-02-2018 01:31 AM

Power Steering Issue

2 Attachment(s)
2005 xB

Think the PS pump is bad but have an odd leak.

So just picked this car up about a week ago replacing the previous wrecked 05 xB. Steering pump is making whirring roar sound especially at lower RPMs and steering is stiff until the RPMs are higher and it gets a little better once the car is warmed up a bit.
I noticed a leak (small drip) coming from the underside of the car and traced it to the return power steering hose.

Just curious if anyone knows why the return hose would leak. Seems like there might be a return flow issue that might be starving the pump for fluid. Is there a filter or something that could be clogged and keeping the flow from returning?

I see no signs of a kinked/bent/damaged hose on either pressure or return.

I appreciate any thoughts of why this would be and any links to good power steering pump replacement threads.

MileHightC 07-02-2018 03:06 PM

I'd clean up the hose to make sure you've actually got a leak coming from it...looks like a fair build-up of grease and grime on the hose and most of it being on top from your picture.

Typically power steering pumps are going to 'groan' when they're either low on fluid or there's air trapped in the system. When you checked the fluid level how did it look?

GreggVA 07-02-2018 04:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MileHightC (Post 4287496)
I'd clean up the hose to make sure you've actually got a leak coming from it...looks like a fair build-up of grease and grime on the hose and most of it being on top from your picture.

Typically power steering pumps are going to 'groan' when they're either low on fluid or there's air trapped in the system. When you checked the fluid level how did it look?

I checked the fluid level and it was good. I am used to seeing red ATF fluid but this fluid is clear - guessing actual power steering fluid.

I actually wiped off the hoses on the bottom which is why the top of them look dirtier. I watched a drip form right where the clamp is on the return line when I started the car and let it run. I put arrows on the pictures where you can see the drip forming.

GreggVA 07-09-2018 04:18 PM

There definitely was a leak. Drips on the driveway and they would form on the connection under the car when it was running and up on jack stands.

So double checked the level and it turned out to be low. The return hose had some hairline cracks in it where the near the clamped end fittings. I ended up getting a foot of 3/8-inch power steering hose and replacing that section and all seems to be okay so far. Will run it for a few days and keep looking for a leak. The 3/8-inch hose was a real pain to get on as the metal fittings have an enlarged ring near the end so the hose will not slip off when clamped. I pre-stretched it a pit by putting some ATF fluid in the hose and twisting a 3/8-inch ratchet extension down it. So far the $2 hose is working!!!

MileHightC 07-09-2018 08:13 PM

Nicely done and you have got to love a $2 fix, fingers crossed it holds out for you...

jimmyess333 09-18-2018 08:16 PM

The same thing happened on my 2005 xA.
The hose hardened from age and leaked.
While I was under there I did the trans cooling hoses too.

GreggVA 09-18-2018 08:19 PM

Couple months later now and still no leaks (crossing fingers no spots on the driveway today).