Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Ran into some issues and I need some oppinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Ran into some issues and I need some oppinions

So I have been wanting to Put coilovers on my car and space my wheels (out to my fenders) and I was planning on getting my fenders rolled, I talked with someone today and they said that one of my fenders (since it was in an accident before I bought it) has bondo on it, and if they try to roll the fender, the bondo will pop out and crack and give me issues.
They guy I was talking to said I have really onle two options. I can put the coilovers on and then be less aggressive with the wheel spacing (so bring the rear out to the inside of the huge lip on the rear fenders) and not out to the edge of the fenders, it will not the my idea of a perfect stance, but who knows, I may love it, its hard to say without seeing it.
My other option is that I do not even do anything, just leave my car as it is (but lets be honest, thats hard not to do since I have done a lot of other things to my car)

Im having trouble deciding what to do. Keep in mind, I have the money to do it, but Im in college and about to go to Madrid this coming week, so it is going to be an expensive summer. Also, my car is not perfect, there are a few things cosmetically wrong with my car that I would like fixed (new hood , maybe front bumper ect.) So i dont know what to spend my money on.
Im just looking for thoughts or if anyone has their car on coilovers with out spaced wheels (preferable with around a 7 in wide wheel with a 45 offset)
Any opinions will help my decision making

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

option 3: replace the fender and then do what you want
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought about that, But Im having trouble finding the rear passenger fender, plus now ill be spending more money

As far as the two options I have listed, Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its the quarter panel then?
thug life it, roll em and if the bondo cracks have it rebondo'ed and painted in the small area
Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, I called the body shop that would need to be doing the work on it, and they said im looking at $1500 to replace the rear quarter panel, apparently its welded on (which is news to me) and they also said they cant just repaint the small area, the spray gun has about a 6 inch spray line and it would be tough to blend and match it properly.
So basically Im S.O.L and I need to go with one of my original 2 options.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hard to match white? I call bs. Looks like youre gonna be less aggressive or put your car stock and sell it to buy another and try to keep the difference below 1500 to make it cost efficient. Other wise look at it as your car roll the the fenders and have it repainted if a shop says they cant feather into white paint to blend it theyre lazy or crazy.its white,it doesnt fade. Or let it crack out and do a body wrap on the bottom half of the car and two tone it
Old 06-02-2012, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I understand where you are coming from, and I agree, unfortunately I don't have that much extra money laying around to risk it, If I was working full time and not in college I would totally do what you said.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have you considered cutting out the inner lip instead of rolling to avoid bosy damage?
Old 06-03-2012, 03:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did, I was thinking of using an angle grinder, but I think Im just going to just say screw it, and work with what I am given, I know that what Im going to do, its going to look alot better then what I have now.