Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Replaced rear bearings. Noise still there

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Replaced rear bearings. Noise still there

So, On my xB gen1 I noticed the classic rear wheel bearing noise and, just as described on threads here, it got worse and worse until it had that 4x4 mud tire sound. The only odd thing was that turning didn't make it worse on one side or the other, though the sound is clearly coming from the rear.

I bought new bearings and noticed, when I jacked up the car, that both sides seemed very tight and smooth. I even applied a stethoscope and they were quiet. But I replaced them anyway and, sure enough, the sound did not change.

Does anyone know of anything else that could cause this sound from the rear? It sounds just like big mud tires growling on pavement and changes volume at various speeds.

Is it possible the fronts are transmitting sound through the body to the back and giving the impression it is coming from the rear. I might point out that the car has 125k on it and when we made the 3k mile trek from Seattle to KY it was so weighted down that there was almost no rear suspension travel. Almost... So I figured I may have over-stressed the rear bearings.

Anyone else had experience with this and found out what the "real" problem was?
Old 09-26-2013, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recently replaced my rear wheel bearings, only to find that they had been masking the condition of the Front Wheel Bearings.
Fun times!
PS: Mileage now at 125k.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member

I had the same issue with my right rear wheel hub bearings.

I figured it out by lifting xa off the ground, took off all the wheels, and tested the hubs by rotating them. Bought one off Amazon, replaced, now runs smooth.
Also check by looking at the tires: If the rubber is being eaten anywhere, that's where the problem is.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:52 AM

I just bought my xb and i hear this sound badly...Dunno if its front or back, but I want it gone
Old 12-02-2013, 01:32 AM

At 80K miles, my 05 had the "noise" Wound up replacing both front bearings. Quiet now. $360 to replace both.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by profipix
I had the same issue with my right rear wheel hub bearings.

I figured it out by lifting xa off the ground, took off all the wheels, and tested the hubs by rotating them. Bought one off Amazon, replaced, now runs smooth.
Also check by looking at the tires: If the rubber is being eaten anywhere, that's where the problem is.
I actually noticed a little bit of uneven wear in the rear tires, but that is with 5,000 miles on the NEW bearings.

Just got back from Chicago (round trip from central KY), and the sound seems to be not as bad as it was. I'm wondering if it was the tires making all the noise. We're almost at 130k miles, I'll probably need to change the front anyway, so I may want to do that and see what happens.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So, I found out the problem with mine: Bent wheel - at least that is what the guys claimed who sold me the tires.

I discovered that one of my rear tires was wearing in a really odd way. Huge 5" diameter cups were being worn in the tread. They felt like they were half an inch deeper than the wear on most of the tire. I replaced the tires and the noise vanished.

The people who balanced the tires told me that the wheel was bent, but I've driven every mile on those wheels and there had been no obstacles hit, and this was the second set of tires on them. It's still on the car and, yes, it's an after market alloy rim.

Anyway, I doubt that this was it but that particular set of tires was one size larger than US standard. I did go back to the normal size, but only because they were out of the others and I don't really care that much.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Bad wheel bearing on my xA chewed up one of the rear tires like that, thought the tire was making the noise. New set of tires and still had loud noise. Decided to replace wheel bearings and noise is gone. Bad bearing will eat up tire with very large cupping that almost look like flat spots, dude at tire shop asked how much drifting I did with e-brake!!! Will also destroy rear shocks too.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take it to the shop. Sounds like a job for the professional
Old 09-30-2023, 08:38 PM

Default Front hub Assembly

So after struts replaced, new tires, wheel alignment, and front hub assembly replaced, another wheel alignment and tire balance and rotation the noise is not as bad and ride is smooth but I can still hear a light thumping on the road and it’s driving me crazy and emptying my pocketbook. I’m done with mechanics not figuring it out. Any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2023, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

We aren't there, so you'll have to gather data for us.

1. Jack car up and spin each wheel to feel how smooth each bearing is. Grab each wheel at top & bottom and wiggle in & out to feel for play. Repeat and grab sides.

2. Spin each wheel and look across tyre tread for tyre roundness. Look at rim-edge. You may very well have bent wobbling wheel.

3. transmission oil replaced recently?

4. check and make sure all suspension pivot bolts are tight. Also crossmember bolts and engine & transmission mount bolts.

5. Check motor & trans mounts. Jack up engine & trans and measure amount of play in mounts.

6. check and make sure all suspension bushings are Ok, not cracked and falling out

7. some tread patterns are just noisy. Swap wheels from other cars to try different tyres

Old 10-03-2023, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumping from front/rear left/right??