Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Smoother ride for 2006 xB - Monroe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM

Default Smoother ride for 2006 xB - Monroe?

Hi. I just recently bought a 2006 Scion xB (with only 13,000 miles) and I like it except for the ride. It seems very harsh -- I can feel every bump.

I've done some reading in here and see that some (but not all) folks recommend the Monroe shocks and struts.

I got a few local quotes for replacing them and the cheapest I got was from Sears -- $524 for installation of both front and rear.

A few questions for anyone that has done something similar:

1. Is this the most cost-effective way to smooth out the ride? Is $524 a decent price?
2. Would it be a good idea to start with just the rear shocks? Then, if that isn't enough, do the front ones also?
3. Is 5601 the correct monroe model number?
4. How much of a difference should I expect to feel?
5. Would I get a better ride from a newer model xB (2nd gen) than changing the suspension of my 2006?

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. Is this the most cost-effective way to smooth out the ride? Is $524 a decent price?

No. Buy the shocks/struts online or from Napa. Rear shocks are easy enough to do yourself. Use the search feature here there is a good how to thread.

2. Would it be a good idea to start with just the rear shocks? Then, if that isn't enough, do the front ones also?

Yes start with the rears first. The ride should improve.

3. Is 5601 the correct monroe model number?

Yes

4. How much of a difference should I expect to feel?

I've never run the monroe's but some people swear by them. I've ran both KYB GRB's and Koni's which were improvements over stock. Koni's are adjustable while KYB's are not.

5. Would I get a better ride from a newer model xB (2nd gen) than changing the suspension of my 2006?

2nd gen is a little smoother, but not by much.

Last edited by TheTransporter; 04-28-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks for your help. I was able to order just the rear shocks and get them installed at Sears for $128 (next week). Hopefully, that'll make a noticeable difference.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 PM

did it make a big difference??? We just bought a 2010 and same deal love the vehicle but christ it rides hard
Old 06-24-2011, 04:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

when i first test drove the xb i thought it was gonna be problems with the front end. the one buddy i know who has one told me to be aware of that, and it's just the car. all of them with stock suspension, and not a front end problem. he also told me to let him know if the one i got when i was test driving it felt like that. it has a real stiff suspension, because it's low to the ground. now what i've realized all along is that with me it's not the suspension. i don't know about your xb, but mine, and my buddies both have an air box that shakes a lot. it also seems the hotter it is the more it shakes. supposedly it's an engineering flaw. the car also shakes when stopped, and you put on the ac. it gets real bad then. i think all along that's the air box, because in the warmer weather it's pretty bad. when it's cooler it shakes too, but you don't feel it as bad in the ride. like on days when it's 65 or cooler i don't feel it as much. the warmer it is the more i feel it. when it's the middle of the afternoon it feels a lot more rougher than later in the day or at night when it's cooled down.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:17 PM

I havent really noticed that but id like to know if replacing the rear shocks give it a little softer ride? I can deal with about anything it throws me. I just got rid of a piece of ____ Trailblazer that was 30k dollars that i had nothing but problems with from 37k miles on
Old 06-30-2011, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are the 1st Gen Xb and Xa shocks interchangeable by any chance??
thanks!
Old 07-03-2011, 04:58 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the monroes on the rear with stock fronts for a while. It is ALOT smoother and not so harsh like the stock shocks. I removed the monroes and replaced them with Tokico HP blues at all 4 corners and I love those. I still have the monroes that only have about 10-12K on them. They are in perfect condition and if anyone wants them I will be glad to sell them at a very decent price. They take about 10 minutes to install in your driveway even if you have no mechanical knowledge. It is very very easy and if you are skinny enough you don't need to jack the car up to do it, but it helps a little just so your not crammed under the car.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:16 PM

how much?