Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Spring Installation on Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am having problems posting phots for some reason.
I gripped the part thr goes in as high up as I could and as gently as I could. I have had no problems with it since. Normally you don't have to do this, the passenger side loosened up fine.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are there any special torque settings to be used, or just go as tight as you can without stripping it?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just used the "yeah, it's tight" method. Have not had a problem with them.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well just did this according to the tech on my buddies box and it helped greatly. Some of the pictures werent working though.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the excellent writeup

I got my DF210s yesterday and had them on in just a couple hours with nothing but hand tools. The rear literally took 10 - 15 minutes and the front was a little harder but nothing worth paying a shop to do in my opinion.

I've got to recommend ptuning.com too. I ordered the springs on Thursday and they arrived on Tuesday :D
Old 03-24-2005, 04:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

first off. this is a really good thred.

Now for my Q. i just got my gold line spring and i am raring to install them. But i am perplexd. There is a bump stop trimming instructions. it says that for the scion xa/xb hey highly recomed cuting the front bump stop 1"inch the back just says N/A i take it there is none back the or it is not necesery to cut it.

My Q is. Were is, What dose and Should i do What it says??

pleas pleas pleas help me i want to do this as right as i can.

Thank u in advance for all the help and the great wright up.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Please PLease PLease. Can someone help me out????
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure, I did my Goldline.

As part of the front strut assembly, there is a high density
rubber/foam bump stop that's on the steel shaft of your
strut. On my box they were a (dirty) yellow, and are fairly
light weight since they are dense foam.

They should look just like the ones pictured in the directions!

I simply used a hack saw to shave off 1.5" FROM THE TOP
just like the directions state.

What they do is help stop the shock from bottoming the
shaft out on the bottom of the cartridge body, which could
result in bursting your strut and just overall making a mess.

It's super easy overall.

Good luck with that.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Spring Installation on Scion xB

Originally Posted by scion

the yellow oringe thing in this pic???? dose it come out and is it 1.5" or 1" cuz my thing says Scion xa/xb cut Bumpp Stop 1" ??? thank u so much... may the Car Gods Bless you.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

HELP HELP HELP Please..... ok i instald my springs this weekend and they are oh so nice...... now my thing is i think it is only the right pasengers side that is squeeking like crazy but not shere. is this normal its kind of scary i dont want to be driving down the free way and the bam the srings go flying out or something.... i instald all corect like instructions seid did every thing to a T..... PLease Help.

*note on the instalation i i had the same problem with the nut turning but not loosening. the key is to live the car down with the tiers on and do the 17mm bolt then jack it up and waht not. i notec that cuz i was doing th pasenger side i loosend the 17mm nut first befor jacking it up and loosend easy. The drivers side was jacked up at the same time and i couls not loosten the nut. so put the tier back on and let the car back down to see if this would help and to my amazment it did. so some one might want to fixt this DIY to say this info or something.... anyway please please help...
Old 03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

oh ya i also noteced that doing 80+ the car starts to shack like the stering wheel starts to quiver did not do this with the OEM springs is this normal?? I have checked every thing 2 times and every thing is corect and tight. any help would be apreshiated.

Thanks in advance...

*note i am a DIYer and note a mechanick i can do it with instructions but othere wise i am shipt out of luck. should i get my align ment done or something like that??
Old 03-30-2005, 12:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Alignment needs to be done , incorrect toe seems to be your culprit. get it checked soon , i have ghetto super low springs and have no shaking at all , something along the line got misaligned , take er in and get er fixed so as to make the car safe and to prolong tire life.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow guys this is one heck of a write up. Thanks for your time and effort.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So, I just did my Goldline install. However I forgot to cut the bump stops. Dang, So what's going to happen now that I have forgotten this step? Is it totally needed? Can I get some pros and cons? The drop looks sick though. One more question. How do you know if you put the correct springs in the correct place? I didn't get any directions. I just used yours and I didn't see if the bigger ones went in the back or the front. I kind of just compared and went with it. Please let me know if I have messed up. I also read that it would take a day or so for the front to drop while the rear would drop while the front is being done. But mine seems to have droppped already. I have Goldlines. Please help me. before I get messed up.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

you really dont need to cut the bumpstops. I didnt, and it never bottoms out. Its impossible to confuse the fronts and rears. I'm sure you did it right.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I looked at it again, in perfect Woody Style, after I had spoke and realized I couldn't have put the on any other way. So the ride for you is good w/o cutting the bump stops. Sweet. Thanks for the help and this write up guys.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member

Default Installed TRDs using the instructions.

I just installed TRD lowering springs on my xB using the posted instructions. Those instructions were amazing and helped me out tremendously. Thanks a lot for putting them together.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Since my instructions were in Japanese , this walkthrough was a big help.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just installed a set of goldline springs 3 days ago and used your tech guide. It was a very detailed guide to use. I just have one question about the front though. I had no problem doing the front other than the alignment cup on the top of strut (the one that says out) turning on me while i was torqueing down the driver side. So i had to take it out and do it all over again on the driver side, but then torqued it down while the car was on the ground. One question i have is how do you know you got the strut bolt tight enough in the front? When i re-checked it today, the bolt just kept on turning which means its just turning the whole shaft of the strut while im tightning it. There is a noise in the front while i go slow over large bump in the road, but this might just be the coils coming into contact with each other and rubbing. The back makes the same noise. Is there a way i can take out the strut and tighten the bolt while its out of the car so i know its really tight? Is there a stationary bolt on the shaft that you can hold on too with a open end wrench while tightning the top 17mm bolt? I dont really want to put a vise on the shaft because it could damage the it. Sorry about this being so long.
Old 05-04-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I think the noses u here are just from the new springs seteling and realining them self to the strust and rubbers and what not when i furts put mine in i was freaking out cuz mine was mackingall kinds of nosies and seeing as how i am not a machanic i thoguht for sher i had screwed something up. and now they are fine nice and quiet. hope this helps a little

Quick Reply: Spring Installation on Scion xB