Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

TRD Rear Sway Bar Installed...After 10 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Rear Sway Bar Installed...After 10 years

I finally got around to installing the TRD Rear Sway Bar on my 2006 Scion xA. I purchased it over 11 years ago and it has been sitting in my garage since then still in the box unopened. I saw it in the garage yesterday and decided to look into how to install it. From what I could find online, it looked pretty easy (though some of the old install information available on various websites wasn't actually accurate).

It was a very easy install. I doubt anyone is going to install one on their car at this point, but below is some information if anyone wants to do it:

- The TRD Rear Sway Bar for the Scion xA is discontinued. However, it appears to be EXACTLY the same thing as the Progress Rear Sway Bar for the Scion xA, which looks to still be available. It looks identical except the TRD version is Red (which I like). I think TRD just rebadged the Progress one. It is strange that the Progress install instructions on their website suggest torquing the bolts to 45 lb ft and the TRD instructions say to use 40 lb ft (I used 40 lb ft).

- It is much easier to install if you remove the rear wheels. It can be done w/o removing the rear wheels, but you have much more room to work with them removed. I wouldn't try it without removing them.

- The install is basically just installing 4 bolts into existing holes in the car (using a 2 small plates that comes with the rear sway bar which has 2 nuts built into it).

- Some of the old information on the rear sway bar indicated some people saying their bolts would loosen and needing to be re-tightened. Maybe they were people who just didn't torque the bolts to the appropriate 40 lb ft, but I went ahead and used Blue Loctite on the threads when installing.

The marketing materials for the TRD Rear Sway Bar say it can be installed in 10 minutes. Since I put the rear of the car on jack stands, removed the wheels, cleaned up the part of the suspension where the bar would be installed, and in general was pretty careful, it took me a little over an hour. However, it was extremely easy.

I will find out tomorrow if it actually makes the car more fun to drive. All of the old reviews made it sounds like it was a great upgrade, so I hope it makes a difference.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-03-2018 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 AM
SL Member

So how was the drive? What differences did you notice, if any?
Old 05-04-2018, 07:29 AM

Thumbs up

where can i buy sway bar for front and rear ?

kindly let me know the price and shipment !
Scion xA
TRD suspension
Old 05-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by Tharngel

Scion xA
TRD suspension
Try this... Scion xA Sway Bars
Old 05-05-2018, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tharngel

Scion xA
TRD suspension
The TRD rear sway bar is discontinued for the xA/xB. The MSRP was $171 I believe. Maybe you can find one on eBay. However, I am almost certain the Progress rear sway bar available for our cars is EXACTLY the same except not red. You can go to Progress Suspension's website and find what to order.

I didn't buy or install a front sway bar. However, from researching the install for the rear sway bar, it sounds like the front install is harder. It sounds like most people left the original sway bar and just changed out the bushings and end links suggesting the original front sway bar was fine.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SunValleyThomas
So how was the drive? What differences did you notice, if any?
I intentionally took some corners faster than normal. The car seems to not lean as much around fast turns and seems more planted. It feels noticeably better.

However, I know that people look for things to be better when they make a change like this. I am not sure how much is my mind wanting things to be better . Either way, it seems alot better to me, and I am happy with the results. I wish wouldn't wouldn't have waited 11 years to install it.

Last edited by kdepew; 05-07-2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar error.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had an '05 xA and i didn't like taking curves. It felt like it was going to roll over. I put a sway bar on the rear and it made a huge difference in handling. I was very impressed. If you're still driving an xA, and i know there are still a lot of 'em out there, this is a good investment.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had one, took it off, but that's just me, and i take my corners pretty sprintly and doesn't even feel like it'll topple over
Old 05-08-2018, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What made you decide to take it off? Did it in some way hurt the handling in your eyes? None of the old reviews I had read suggested it ever caused any issues.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the Hotchkiss front and rear bars in my 2006 xB and my son has the TRD rear bar with a Hotchkiss front bar in his 2006 xB. I wouldn't trade either of them for the world. Much flatter cornering and no significant degradation in ride quality. The rear bar makes more of a noticeable difference than the front one BTW.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:54 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't remember why, it's been about 8 years ago since i took it off
Old 05-09-2018, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read somewhere (probably this forum) several years back that the front sway bar really doesn't do anything for handling. It's more for looks.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mdhyre
I read somewhere (probably this forum) several years back that the front sway bar really doesn't do anything for handling. It's more for looks.
That would be very incorrect. Adding a thicker front sway bar does very little to improve handling in an xB. Taking the front bar off will really screw up the handling. It does indeed improve the handling over a car without one.