Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/)
-   -   whats better (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-suspension-handling-1606/whats-better-37421/)

jct 10-20-2005 11:16 PM

whats better

for rain driving besides tires

solid rotors or slotted rotors???

Tomas 10-21-2005 03:37 AM

Johnny, I don't really think that slotted/solid makes all that much diff in wet conditions - both self-dry in next to no time...

The slotted just cool better in extreme conditions.

"Just my opinion..."

Prototype_xB 10-21-2005 03:50 AM

Parachutes

Prototype_xB 10-21-2005 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Tomas
The slotted just cool better in extreme conditions.

Rotor fins do the majority of cooling, drills and slots help pocket gases, etc. created from braking and of course provide added cooling.

*edit*--> depending on machining techniques for drilled and slotted rotors, they have shorter life, ex.-> wear, cut, and warp quicker.

Stick with the stockers

jct 10-21-2005 11:59 AM

well thanks :) that helps alot on save me more money :) major plus keeping my pockets heavier :)

DarkBoxJr 10-21-2005 10:08 PM

Drilled/slotted rotors just look better. They don't do anything for performance because your brake pads aren't made from asbestos anymore.

jct 10-21-2005 10:34 PM

what about ceramic brake pads and shoes???

besides able to take the heat better and producing less brake dust

Tomas 10-21-2005 10:57 PM

Higher tech brake pads such as the newer ceramics can be a plus - and in fact are even used on the stock Scions.

Just don't use 'racing pads' that require high heats to even be effective - they are a very poor choice for a daily driver...They resist fade in heavy use, but need to get close to 'red hot' before they are happy.

deviousXA 10-21-2005 11:10 PM

Im runnin SATISFIED PRO CERAMIC pads.....great grip over OEM pads and they have a split pad design for further heat disipation they are like 60 some odd bucks off of satisfieds site but i was able to pick up a set for $36.00

Prototype_xB 10-22-2005 02:59 AM

Want pads and shoes that'll stop quicker---> look at the composition. The more metals, the higher the performance. Although the catch is quicker rotor wear and scarring.

Emfdiablo 10-22-2005 04:38 AM

i like the parachute idea, i say go with two of them...ohh ohh the ones that open in an X pattern...ha ha ha
seriously, these cars have decent stopping power, specially when they dont go that fast to begin with, but if you want better stopping power, go with stainless steel brake lines (these will help in brake fade and pressure) along with the ceramic pads devious was talikng about

Boxer_Rebellion 10-22-2005 06:16 AM

Get the euro RS rear discs :)

JSosa 10-22-2005 07:52 PM

brakes are not affected by wet or dry because with just one slight press on those brakes they will dry QUICK! But as everyone is saying you changs to more aggresive pads you will have added rotor wear and scaring that may lead to warping. Since i dont care about how fast my Xa goes i just care how it turns and brakes i put the A&Z brakes on my Xa and DAM!!! I got he rear disc conversion, orignially sold for the echo, but work great with the Xa and the front rotors. This kit comes with rotors, calipers, bracktes, pads and lines. Whatelse do you need. You want to stop I HIGHLY recommend this setup. Its scary how well my Xa stops.

gnar-de-gwar 10-22-2005 10:03 PM

rear brakes! egad! where and how much?

elusivedragon 10-27-2005 12:22 AM

i had upgraded brake pads on my old corolla and liked it, did notice a difference...also had a lot less brake dust all over my front wheels....in fact never had ANY so that is why i like em

going to do that for my new xb, thinking about brake lines too but not sure how hard that would be to install/swap