Notices

Is acceleration affected much with aftermarket wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member

Default Is acceleration affected much with aftermarket wheels?

I'm looking to get some wheels/tires soon, and I want to know if acceleration is hurt much by bigger and possibly heavier wheels. For all you owners out there that have upgraded, what wheels did you go to and did acceleration suck after?

And, does anyone know the weight of the stock wheel/tire combo?

I've had aftermarket wheels on both my CRX and Porsche 944 before, and both suffered from reduced acceleration. I can put up with a little loss, but not much. I'm thinking of getting some 15-inch Enkei RPF1s with the stickiest 205s I can afford. The rim is only 9.9 pds, so I'd keep it light but with enhanced handling from the wider rim/tire combo.

However, 17s look "just right" on the XB, so I'd like to get some input first. Perhaps someone in Milpitas with 17s would let me drive their XB? Please?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

might want to post this in "tread and butter" next time pare...

typically the heavier the wheel the lower the acceleration... more energy required to turn more weight...

i remember reading the stock steel wheel weighing in at 17.5 lbs... not sure of the tire weight...

i went with lightweight 15's (10.6lbs) with the stock tires (will go to 205/55's after i wear down the OEMs)... i'm not a wheel/physics professional, but i can feel an improvement in acceleration and handling... i'm also getting better gas milage... getting an average of an extra 1 mile per gallon (woot)...

dunno if you wanna check out my box... but i'm out in fremont and spend lots of time at my GF's filipino restaurant out in milpitas (near great mall)... you'll probably see my bop box out there 2-3 days out of the week...
Old 10-05-2004, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

ok, heres the deal with the wheels and tires once and for all. An increase in rotating mass will effect a lot of stuff. Your highway miles wont be effected much becuase for the most part you are up to speed and stay there, so there isnt much accelerating. The rotating mass effects acceleration. Light wheels will spool up quicker than heavier ones, and with the wheel the previous person mentioned (10.6 lb) you would probably notice a difference if you know your car. We are not talking seconds, but maybe a couple tenths. Gas milage in the city would be effected, but again, only mildly, maybe a few miles per for an agressive driver.

i have the trd 18s and they are awesome, i get about 30mpg and drive a mix of highway and city roads, and drive incredibly aggressive and go very fast on the highway.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by ahurdl01
i have the trd 18s and they are awesome, i get about 30mpg and drive a mix of highway and city roads, and drive incredibly aggressive and go very fast on the highway.
Thanks guys. This is what I wanted to know.

Cheers
Old 10-05-2004, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Gas milage in the city would be effected, but again, only mildly, maybe a few miles per for an agressive driver.

Different Opinion

I'm running the TRD 18's and average 25-26MPG (28MPG on a great day)

On a cold night, a trip back and forth to Reno lots of coasting and miles driven in neutral I did about 328 miles on a full tank (she was on vapors by the time I coasted into a gas station. The light was on for almost 20 miles before I stopped...uh before Sandra started punching my arm and threatening to withhold certain things. )
Old 10-05-2004, 10:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i recently checked my gas mileage log and my mpg varies incredibly. Sometimes 30, and just today like 23, but i have been driving like an _______ recently.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

[quote="bB Local Boy"]
The light was on for almost 20 miles before I stopped...uh before Sandra started punching my arm and threatening to withhold certain things. )
My wife does the same thing right when the goes on