Notices

Ideal rim width & offset for xB

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 05:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Ideal rim width & offset for xB

I've seen multiple threads discuss this topic, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

OBJECTIVE:
Find the widest rim/tire combo that will fit w/out rubbing throughtout suspension travel.
Assume 35-series tires of various widths.
i.e. 18x7.5 +35offset w/ 215/35R18 works, but 18x7.5 +35offset w/ 225/35R18 doesn't.

I'm interested in 18in and 19in rims, but we can include all sizes.

REASON:
Perhaps we can talk to the rim manufacturers about making products with the ideal offset for various sizes,
so wheel spacers become a thing of the past :?:
Old 10-20-2003, 07:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Ideal rim width & offset for xB

Originally Posted by DR xB
I've seen multiple threads discuss this topic, but I haven't seen a definitive answer.

OBJECTIVE:
Find the widest rim/tire combo that will fit w/out rubbing throughtout suspension travel.
Assume 35-series tires of various widths.
i.e. 18x7.5 +35offset w/ 215/35R18 works, but 18x7.5 +35offset w/ 225/35R18 doesn't.

I'm interested in 18in and 19in rims, but we can include all sizes.

REASON:
Perhaps we can talk to the rim manufacturers about making products with the ideal offset for various sizes,
Dr, I dont even have my XB yet (next week hopefully) but i ve already decided what rims im oredering for it teh day it arrives, lol. My biggest concern was the amount of gap there is between the tire and teh fender. Not the gap from the top of teh tire to the finder, but the gap from the side of the tire to the inside of the fender. I knew right away that finding the correct wheel for this car in terms of fitment for appearance is going to be difficult. The car requires a low offset wheel to puch it out towards the fender (obviously) and unfortunately, trying to find a low offset wheel in a 4x100 pattern is not easy. There are a few if you dig hard enough, but most are not very attractive. This happened to me once before when i had my 99 miata and i was forced to order custom wheels from japan which not only cost me a fortune, but took me forever and a half to get too.

I decided to take a simpler solution with this car. Not only is this car going to be my daily, but i m not going to be driving it to hard either. I have my S for that I found that there is such a variety of FWD rims available with anything from a +37mm up to +45mm available, I would find the one i thought best suited the XB then build a custom hub centric spacer for all four wheels to sit them exactly where i wanted.

I was amazed at what I found. With all the new wheel knock offs that are available, you can find any wheel you like and buy its knock for 1/4 of the cost. With a little change for the spacers, I get the exact fitment im looking for. Its really easy to make custom spacers and its not too hard to make it hubcentric. As a matter of fact, if anyone is interested, i can run off more if anyone else wants them as well.

Unfortunately, I cant answer your question though as I have yet to install everything. What i can tell you though is that you dont need anything larger than a 215 tire on a 7.5 inch wheel. The wheels that I plan on using are 18x7.5 with a +45mm offset. Hardly desirable. I figure with a 10mm spacer pushing it out to +35 it will fit perfectly.

Im also going to be trying something else too. Running 40 series tires instead of 35s. I know i am slowing the car down a bit and hurtin the gas mileage, but i think the extra tire will increase the ride comfort, safety of the rims, and look a hell of a lot better. Hopefully i can find the car im looking for and i can let you know
Old 10-20-2003, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Ideal rim width & offset for xB

REASON:
Honestly, what it would take for that to happen is if people made some sacrifices now and spent just a little bit more money to buy quality wheels that are available in the correct offsets for their cars. If people keep buying/settling for wheels that are cheap (and most of those are avl in generic 40mm+ offsets because they are designed for Hondas and the like), then the market will never change.

Doc: The wait for some JDM, low-offset wheels isn't so bad actually. Volks can take anywhere from 3-6 months to arrive. Works, on the other hand, can make it here in 1-2 months. I think the main issue with buying a knock-off, on a tangible level, is that there is always a major lack of quality in the knock-off vs. the real deal wheel. The lines are never straight, the edges never as crisp, the lips never as shiny, the finish never as flawless, etc. Sure, from a distance some knock-off wheels can fool some people, but get close enough and there's no doubt which is which (and the "quality" of the knock-off determines how close you can get to it before noticing the flaws; the cheaper, the farther you can be and still see its lack of quality). Anyway, I think it's worth paying the extra bucks to have something that fits right, looks right, and will always make you proud of it for years to come. High-quality wheels are a lifetime investment, and a good set of wheels will sometimes last longer than your car! Cheap wheels will start looking like doo doo within a few years...

Oh yah, and my gripe with knock-off wheels, on a non-tangible level, is I just abhor any company that bases their sole existence on the emulation of the hard work and design and engineering effort of others.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoops, and to answer Dr's question, I would recommend going with an 18x8, +30mm, high disk in front and an 18x9, +30mm, low disk in back. You will still have to roll your rear whellwell lips, but it's a commonplace procedure.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Van, believe me, you dont need to preach to me about knock offs and their integrity. I have had 5 sets of volks on my S this year totalling over 8000 just for the wheels alone, no tires.

For my particular situation, spending 1500 bux just for wheels when i can buy the knock offs for under 950 with tires is simple. With that price, i could afford to replace wheel or two lol

Without a doubt though, i totally agree with you. You get what you pay for. This car is a toy for me. For my situation, it works
Old 10-20-2003, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

what about the trd 19" do they rub??
Old 10-21-2003, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

ScionVan,
I agree with you in wanting a quality wheel, cuz I plan on keeping them for a long time. :D

Doc,
I see your point on it being a toy, and cheap wheels have their place, also.
I'm leaning more toward the 'clean' look with 'quality' stuff.
I'm planning on keeping my xB for a long time, and I want to fix it up slowly and methodically.
Also, I haven't ruled out 40-series rubber either.
I know it's not gonna be a racer, yet I'll look into engine mods later down the road.

So all three of us agree on 'you get what you pay for'!

Van,
I don't know if I'm wanting to change rim width front vs. back,
so that I keep the ability to rotate;
however, I'm not completely against the staggered look either.
Do you have 18x8s and 18x9s on yours? If so, any pics up close?

p.s. thanx for the input guys. I'm looking forward to some more responses!
Old 10-26-2003, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Anyone else have sizes/offsets they recommend?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default the perfect fit

Anyone else have sizes/offsets they recommend?
The perfect fit will be 18x8 or 19x8 w/a +36 offset in front and a +23 offset in the rear. I work for a rep firm and we have the APC/Bushido Scion at our facility and it has Staggered fit wheels from Japan and they look tight and it doesn't rub at all. BUT! I called and priced the wheels and they were going to cost me $2700.00 for the wheels alone. Plus a down time of 60 to 90 days. You can view the wheels on the car @ http://www.superstar-wheel.com/produ..._pc/rowel.html
Click on gallery and there you go.