Notices

My wheels make squealing sound after I release the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:03 AM

Default My wheels make squealing sound after I release the brakes

Hi all,

I just got my 2006 Scion xB on May 14 (12 days ago) from a dealership.

Two days ago, I noticed for the first time (and I think it was the first time it happened) that there was a squeaky sound coming from the passenger side (I wanna say front) when I was braking, and recently it's been doing it more after I release the brakes (as the car starts rolling forward, or as I press on the gas again, it sounds like the squealing sounds follows the rotation of the wheels for the first 1-2 seconds). I initially thought it might have been the brakes, but brakes don't seem to be involved--instead, the sound comes on when the wheels are turning rather slowly (at first it was also happening when I was slowing down, but now it seems to be happening only when I release the brakes and start rolling forward again).

It sounds a little bit like a door that needs to be oiled. Also, generally the sound only comes on if I've been driving for a bit; there's no such sound when I first hop in the car.

If it's useful to know, here's a bit of history: It turns out that the very first time it happened, it was more than just a squealing sound--two stops in a row, as I was coming to a stop, there was some weird, louder sound and weird movements coming from what I would think is the front passenger's wheel area. It sounded and felt like a bottle of liquid was being shaken (I'm pretty sure I could hear liquid moving). I had actually also experienced that in a different xB less than a month ago (my colleague's 2005 xB, not mine).

Can someone help me figure out what the problem is? And how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Patrick

P.S.: dealership did a safety inspection, and they changed the rear brake pads, I believe.

P.P.S.: when I thought it was a brakes issue, I first posted a very similar post in the "Suspension & Handling" section