Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Wheel & Tire (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-wheel-tire-1608/)
-   -   OTG shims installed (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xa-xb-1st-gen-wheel-tire-1608/otg-shims-installed-96032/)

ryuji16 03-29-2007 06:01 AM

OTG shims installed

a few concerns:

1. the e-brake line needed to be stretched back to the mounting point after installing the shims. has anyone ever had any problems with the e-brake as a result of this stretch? its kind of bugging me... what could possibly go wrong?

2. i bought the kit from someone used, but didnt notice until halfway through the install that i was one washer short. so now, on the passenger side, there is one bolt with a missing washer. is that going to be a problem?

other than that stuff... the car looks great. didnt think it would make such a big difference on steelies. even though i dont have rims yet, i had to buy them because it was a _____in deal. when i got them i figured i might as well use them. so now theyre there for when i do get rims.

anyway... any feedback would be much appreciated :D

kdepew 03-29-2007 06:20 AM

I have bought the OTG Shims, but I haven't installed them yet. I too would be interested if there are any issues with stretching the e-brake cable.

Were there any other issues you ran into installing the OTG Shims? Did you have to stretch the e-brake cable alot?

Any impressions on the quality or fit after installing them?

ryuji16 03-29-2007 06:25 AM

well, it didnt have to strech far, but the thing is, that thing doesnt stretch... its freaking stiff, so its more like forcing it back over the mounting point. so in a sense, yes, it kinda had to go far. thats why im kinda worried

really high quality pieces... and the stance looks way better.

but this whole issue with the e-brake line... i dont understand how someone could possibly fit a double stack (20mm instead of the 10mm) in there and still be able to remount the e-brake line.

TheShortBus 03-29-2007 12:30 PM

any chance that loosening the e-brake adjusters up front first might make the job easier? i have no idea what all's involved in installing OTGs other than the DIY run-through in their website, but surely there must be a way to avoid that s-t-r-e-t-c-h on the cable. just my 2¢ . . .

El_Jorge 03-29-2007 01:26 PM

Considering the amount of people that have these. You would have heard of a problem. So I wouldnt worry.

burstaneurysm 03-29-2007 02:15 PM

Can you post pictures? I'm thinking about picking up a set.

mikochu 03-29-2007 02:35 PM

I believe I cut the "heatshrink" sleeve of the brake wires a little to give it more slack. I'm talking about the black sleeve, not the actual wire insulation. As for the washer, you're better off getting a replacement washer. I can't remember if it's a locking washer..hrmmmm.

ryuji16 03-29-2007 05:08 PM

its a split lock washer i think. would it hurt to forget about it?

i didnt want to cut anything... with my luck i wouldve screwed something up.

TheShortBus: it needed more slack going the other way, so loosening it on that end would be useless.

El_Jorge: my thoughts exactly... but i just want to make sure.

burstaneurysm: i dont have a camera... sorry. other wise i wouldve had pics up in the first post.

06ShadowBoX 03-29-2007 05:09 PM

i installed these last year, no problems with the ebrake or having to "stretch" the brake line. The install was as easy as the DC header i installed on sunday. If you have to stretch to an extreme, your probably doing something wrong.

burstaneurysm 03-29-2007 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ryuji16
burstaneurysm: i dont have a camera... sorry. other wise i wouldve had pics up in the first post.

Man... next time I'll have to sell you a camera. :P

LeroyJMC 03-29-2007 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by kdepew
I have bought the OTG Shims, but I haven't installed them yet. I too would be interested if there are any issues with stretching the e-brake cable.

Were there any other issues you ran into installing the OTG Shims? Did you have to stretch the e-brake cable alot?

Any impressions on the quality or fit after installing them?

No worries, kdepew. I'm going on 25k miles since I put them on my xA. I didn't have this e-brake cable stretching either. Throw 'em on there, you will not have any regrets.

cvrefugee 03-30-2007 10:14 PM

The stacked shims create too much stretching with the E-brake. Yes, you'll need to adjust it.

Digidizzle 03-30-2007 10:27 PM

When I installed the shims, it was tight, but nothing too extreme. I would pick up another lock washer for the missing one to be on the safe side.

LeroyJMC 03-30-2007 11:21 PM

I think we should post up what we've got. For me I had no e-brake stretching using the single ~9.5mm OTG spacer shims.

From cvregugree's post, it sounds like the stacked OTG shims...~19mm do give a bit of a stretch.

xb_toast 03-31-2007 12:22 AM

I installed the shims last week and I didn't do any stretching. I dont know but ya I didnt notice a difference with the steelies but when I put my rims on it was a huge difference. Ya no problems with anything so far.

ryuji16 03-31-2007 01:02 AM

mine stretched... i guess all xB's were built slightly differently

cvrefugee 03-31-2007 07:00 AM

http://www.onetongarage.com/manuals/...mbo/index.html

Addendum 2: Parking brake cable tension
With some Scions, stacking the camber and spacer shims may put the parking brake cable under excess tension, to the point where it will not work correctly anymore. Before finishing the installation, make sure that the parking brake is still working normally. If there is any problem, or if the cable is under excess tension, undo the 10mm nut (Figure 3A in accompanying installation instructions) and let the bracket hang free from the stud. In a very few cases, the cable may still need additional slack. This can be achieved by flipping it to the other side of the ABS sensor cable bracket (bracket seen above Figure 3A). Make sure the parking brake is working correctly and can prevent the rear wheels from moving before completing installation.
When they sent out my stacked shims they gave my this extra installation paper. I'm guessing a stacked shim set has the same effect on the E-brake as the spacer/camber combo does.

ryuji16 03-31-2007 10:41 AM

cool, thanks for that bit of info :)

DFWDJ 04-01-2007 01:32 AM

I just installed mine today(stacked). I had to flip it to the other side of the ABS sensor bracket and let the parking brake cable hang loose (not loose at all actually, that cable is tight as f**k)

cvrefugee 04-01-2007 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by DFWDJ
I just installed mine today(stacked). I had to flip it to the other side of the ABS sensor bracket and let the parking brake cable hang loose (not loose at all actually, that cable is tight as f**k)

You can adjust the bracket and move it up the parking brake line, that's what I did. It was a PITA installation because of that, but at least it isn't hanging loose.