Notices

Tire Size & Tread?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 PM

Default Tire Size & Tread?

Hi,

I'm curious about tire sizes and treads, more specifically, I am trying to figure out what size vs tread depth I can get to fit my 06 xB.

Every tire I can find that fits (within the 195/60 R15) are what I'd classify as a slick or sport tire which I really don't want. I don't care about style, I am wanting functionality and traction in wet conditions and snow. If I could find a light truck style tire with a decent tread I'd be putting those on.

I know I've read guys have fit 205s on an xB. Not horrible concerned with width or the speedo being off as I don't generally drive fast enough to have to worry about it and as far as gas mileage goes the .50 to mile or so difference, I'm not overly concerned with either.

So I was wondering if anyone had tried a 195/70R15 (that doesn't rub or tear up anything), even other sized truck or deeper type traded tire without going to a total winter tire?

Thanks.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-23-2017 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's no reason you can't find a proper tire for your xB. One of the best resources I've found and used is the Tire Rack web site. You can start with the size that came on your car and either go with that, or dig a little deeper using the tools and charts available with a little more digging. (I used them to come up with the 205/50 R16's that I run in the summer on mine.) If you're not comfortable with that, you can call their 800 number and their people are top notch. Just tell them what you're looking for and let them give you options. Remember, you don't have to buy from them. There are many, many passenger car tires available to fit your toaster though.

The main thing you're going to want to look at is the overall diameter of the stock tire. And trust me, the exact same size tire from 10 different suppliers is going to be just slightly different, so don't get all hung up on a .250" difference in diameter.

Tom
Old 09-26-2017, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Just because it's a truck tire doesn't mean it's going to be any good in the snow...and finding a truck tire that small is going to be an issue, which is why all you've found thus far are "slick or sport tires."

If you want traction in the snow I would highly recommend a set of snow tires on some steel wheels...I bought a set of 17-inch steelies and Blizzak snow tires (had to have 17's to clear the Wilwood brakes in front) and I think I was into them for less than $800 total.

Discount Tire has a Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 in 185/60R15 for $96 each with an 'Instant Savings' of $25 on an set of 4. If you go with that same size winter tire in a Michelin X-Ice Xi3 they're $90 each with an 'Instant Savings' of $70 on a set of 4.

Either way...less than $400 for dedicated snow tires.