Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/)
-   -   '06 xB 'Retired' and Getting Exterior 'Restoration' (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/06-xb-retired-getting-exterior-restoration-236533/)

MileHightC 09-16-2018 04:16 PM

'06 xB 'Retired' and Getting Exterior 'Restoration'

So I've gotten to the point that I'm going to 'retire' my '06 xB as a "daily driver" and I use that term loosely as I work from home and travel for work and put, on average, less than 6,000 miles a year on it. I recently picked-up an almost 200,000 mile '99 Jeep Cherokee XJ and that will become the new 'daily' beater...as beater as it can be as it gets completely modded also.

The xB is in line for a full exterior 'restoration' and I have gathered the following parts for it:

New OEM bumpers front and rear
Winjet smoked foglights
Grillcraft 3-piece mesh gills
Seibon carbon fiber hood and rear OEM-style rear spoiler
NRG carbon fiber hood dampeners
ABS Dynamics carbon fiber front fenders
VIS Racing carbon fiber rear hatch
eBay Kenstyle knock-off body kit with front and rear lips and side skirts (I tried to hunt down both a REAL Kenstyle kit or a Red Genie front and rear lip and couldn't find either of them, which forced me to go the knock-off route)
eBay carbon fiber mirror covers with signals
Spyder black halo projector headlamps with HID kits

The entire car, less the new carbon fiber pieces, is going to be resprayed in Black Sand Pearl using Sikkens paint (same paint McClaren uses on their cars) and everything will be cleared including the carbon fiber pieces. I'll be painting the car, which will be my first shot at painting an entire car but I've got some good resources walking me through the process (I've already learned all about the 80% and 'drop coat' with metallics) and wasn't going to pay the local body shop, "about $10,000 to repaint it." None of the body shops I spoke to wanted to do non-insurance work, so they quoted me stupid prices and I wasn't going to go the Earl Scheib route. I figure spending $500 on a good gun and then $1,500 on supplies plus renting a booth from friends of mine for $100 will give me as good a paint job as I am willing to work for.

Rearview mirror mounts (where they bolt to the door) and the wiper cowl will get smoothed and painted BSP to match the rest of the car. Side marker lights and rear tailights will be tinted and the Grillcraft grills are going to be powdercoated to match the BSP paint (a box of custom mixed powder from Prismatic Powders was $650 and was a dead match to the paint based upon the wheels I've already used it on).

I'll post pics of progress as I go but it certainly won't be fast...makes for a good winter project that is rapidly approaching.

midtowndesi 10-17-2023 01:33 PM

i know im reviving a dead thread but would love to see pictures of it!!

MileHightC 10-17-2023 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by midtowndesi (Post 4337583)
i know im reviving a dead thread but would love to see pictures of it!!

Project, like most of them, unfortunately, is going slower than I expected but I will be posting some pictures here in the future.