Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/)
-   -   80/100 Halogens in stock housings (xB Gen.1) (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/80-100-halogens-stock-housings-xb-gen-1-a-190332/)

rjsalvi 07-21-2010 02:37 AM

80/100 Halogens in stock housings (xB Gen.1)

Anyone change out the stock 55W bulbs for 80W/100W ones in the stock housings? If so, are you getting flashed by oncoming traffic?

I too made the mistake of trying HID (Hi/Lo) capsules in the stock housing...bad move. :eek: So instead of going through the hassle of R&R'ing the stock lenses for Sonars -- or the like -- I'd simply like to pump up the wattage and install a wiring harness with relays. TIA

Robert

spr0k3t 07-21-2010 08:57 PM

Two things if I remember... you need to replace the stock wiring with a high-temp harness. The power and ground will need to be about 12-10AWG. I couldn't find the thread about this from searching, but I remember the guy used luminics bulbs and eventually fried a few lines before upgrading to the high-temp harness and bigger leads. The actual time/research for cost/finished might be better off going with HIDs in a projector type housing.

rjsalvi 07-22-2010 02:17 AM

Thanks for the quick reply...I'll be using harnesses. As far as cost, it's significantly less expensive to stay with halogen bulbs (and harness), though I'll freely admit that HID is a better light source...in the right housings.

Clover_Darks 08-02-2010 12:08 PM

RJ-What might you do with your stock houseing?
I NEED either the entire housing or just lenses!
wanna help?:)

rjsalvi 08-05-2010 04:28 AM

I'll be using the stock housings, just not with HID capsules. Sorry, Clover. :icon_frown:

Clover_Darks 08-05-2010 04:32 AM

Thanks anyway....hey-*new to the site) wheres the parts wanted section...need me a cargo cover or a DIY on making one

TerrorCrew 08-07-2010 10:54 PM

i used to run 90/100 with a wire harness and i was fine. i didnt start getting flashed till i switched to HIDS.

rjsalvi 08-30-2010 03:27 AM

Okay, have my 80/100s installed and while they're brighter and whiter than stock, they're *not* HIDs.

I've done some searching in this forum and it seems that some feel bi-xenons are the answer to HIDs in stock heads. Is it as simple as that? Is there a well-defined cutoff in the beam pattern? And someone help me on this...as I understand it, the bi-xenon unit is actuated via a magnet (capsule/bulb moving in and out for low or high beam). Is the design of the shield around the capsule purposely architected to give a defined beam cutoff for lows and highs, or is it just dumb luck? And for those of you with bi-xenon units, are you getting flashed by oncoming traffic with your low beams on, and do your high beams do an adequate job on dark roads? TIA.

RJ