Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/)
-   -   Debadged Rear (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/debadged-rear-3281/)

NemoBronsky 03-21-2004 08:45 PM

Debadged Rear

I just got finished debadging my xB... I used a hair dryer and some dental floss to get the emblems off, then I spent about 2-3 hours using my fingers and blow dryer then a rag and tar remover to get off the tape residue(there was alot of residue left on the car- almost none on the badges)

Anyone noticed an outline where the SCION logo used to be?... Only in the right lighting can I notice it, but It is noticeable. I waxed the area when I was finished and made it alot harder to see but I was wondering if it will go away in time?
Thanks ahead of time.

TheScionicMan 03-21-2004 08:55 PM

It probably depends on the color and how long it has been on there with sun, etc. If your xB is black like your avatar, the sun probably faded the paint around it, black is one of the worst paints for oxidation. It might fade after the sun shines on the covered part some more...

I took mine off. Camo, no hair dryer, just floss. I had only had it for about a month. I had minimal residue and only used my thumb to clean off goo. (used to be a detailer) I don't see any sign of the badge being there...

jonbee 03-21-2004 08:57 PM

wow i never understood people with all that residue left over. my badges peeled off with floss and no dryer and all the tape was still on the back of the badges. odd.

TheScionicMan 03-21-2004 08:59 PM

Maybe its the hair dryer that goos it up...

NemoBronsky 03-21-2004 09:01 PM

when I used the floss- I got between the emblem and the tape, instead of the tape and the body- thats why I had so much residue. I just got the car this week, so I doubt its the sun- but its definately possible. (actually most likely scenario)

Im thinkin its just a minute bit of residue- Im really not worried cuz it looks goooood- you have to search to get the right light where you can see the ring (and mind you this didn't happen on the xB emblem even though that left alot of residue behind initially also).

Without the hair dryer nothing would have come off( its 35 degrees here)---- the hair dryer and thumb worked better than tar remover and rags.

DJ_X_Trodinaire 03-21-2004 09:22 PM

i just used a hair dryer

everything came of with the badges

Minsk99 03-23-2004 12:02 AM

I have the same color xB (black sand pearl) and have the same very slight color difference. You have to get really, really close and in a certain light to notice it at all. Anyway, I think it should blend in by the end of the summer.

chillenn310 03-23-2004 12:25 AM

all i used was dental floss.. took like half an hour, and I simply peeled off the left over glue.

Munch 03-23-2004 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by DJ_X_Trodinaire
i just used a hair dryer

Same here, no goo was left.

George 03-23-2004 12:33 AM

i just used a hair dryer

OK, how hot? warm? hot? too hot to touch?

And, what did you use to get hold of the emblems?

I was going to go the floss route, but it sounds like that just ensures that you have residue to clean.

George

DJ_X_Trodinaire 03-23-2004 12:51 AM

i was doing it in a windy cold outdoors

I had the dryer on high

move the dryer all round the emblem about 3 inch away (depends on how hot your dryer can get) you just want the emblem to be warm/hot not HOT :shock:

used my fingernail to lift up the emblem

you can tell if the double sided tape is hot enough to peel off

if not... keep using the hair dryer

if you see the tape peeling off keep pulling up slowly on the emblem while pointing the dryer on the emblem

Originally Posted by George

i just used a hair dryer

OK, how hot? warm? hot? too hot to touch?

And, what did you use to get hold of the emblems?

I was going to go the floss route, but it sounds like that just ensures that you have residue to clean.

George

03-23-2004 12:59 AM

i used a hair dryer and made the emblem hot the used a flat screw driver with a rag so i wouldn't scracth the surface, then i reused it in the front by the radio and no residue on the back

Max2k 03-23-2004 01:22 AM

I noticed the same thing, i chalked it up to the wax around the emblem and the goof off. I just waxed that area and now it's fine.

http://unixpunx.org/albums/album05/D...inyl.sized.jpg

Cheif_Thundercloud 03-23-2004 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Max2k
I noticed the same thing, i chalked it up to the wax around the emblem and the goof off. I just waxed that area and now it's fine.

http://unixpunx.org/albums/album05/D...inyl.sized.jpg

A good car polish/wax should pull the rest of it out. I had the same thing happen.

BlackBox66 03-24-2004 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Minsk99
I have the same color xB (black sand pearl) and have the same very slight color difference. You have to get really, really close and in a certain light to notice it at all. Anyway, I think it should blend in by the end of the summer.

same here

Skylab™ 06-21-2004 07:04 PM

OK, so what if you decide to put the badges back on, like for selling purposes, would you have to use a certain type of adhesive?