Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Defective Hatchback Handle

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Defective Hatchback Handle

Anyone else had this problem yet?

I have had our hatchback handle assembly unit completely shear off on one side in early Fall, and it came out of its mounts again in December.

I am not using the car for anything other than normal, everyday use. I maybe use the hatchback a dozen times/week, if that. Not overloading, not slamming, just normal opening/closing.

Anyway, I've had it replaced by the dealer twice already, under warranty of course, but now it's coming out/apart again, so I'm going to try and get it fixed before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires in another 1500 miles.

Is this a potential recall issue or am I just unlucky enough to have an isolated problem?

The dealer admits it isn't the stoutest, smartest design for a hatchback (how about just an integrated one-piece door unit with no external mount that can break off??).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

That's wild. Sounds like you're the "lucky "one I can't say I've heard of that problem before. Is it the entire plastic piece that comes off that the handle hides under? I know bBist.com makes a CF replacement so it doesn't seem like the OEM would need to be superduper solid to do the job. I've never looked real close to see how those are fastened, but it can't be too complicated. Are they replacing it or just fixing the faulty one?
Old 03-16-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Defective Hatchback Handle

Originally Posted by teamkasnomas

I have had our hatchback handle assembly unit completely shear off on one side in early Fall, and it came out of its mounts again in December.

I am not using the car for anything other than normal, everyday use. I maybe use the hatchback a dozen times/week, if that. Not overloading, not slamming, just normal opening/closing.

Anyway, I've had it replaced by the dealer twice already, under warranty of course, but now it's coming out/apart again, so I'm going to try and get it fixed before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires in another 1500 miles.

Is this a potential recall issue or am I just unlucky enough to have an isolated problem?

The dealer admits it isn't the stoutest, smartest design for a hatchback (how about just an integrated one-piece door unit with no external mount that can break off??).
I've had the same problem. Mine busted off within the first week, that was the day before Thanksgiving. My dealer has been dicking me around on this. So, I burned them on the last survey and I can't wait to get this one. The first time they replaced the main piece only, because they didn't order all the parts for the lift. Maybe that is what they did on yours.

I'm taking mine in tomorrow got get the rest of the parts put on. They are some kind of pins or something. Or so that is what the Service Writer tells me. These parts were supposed to be in stock within three days and that was three weeks ago. The parts dept. and writers suck at my dealership.

Anyway, I think that I"m going to ask to watch them put these parts in tomorrow. Maybe I can update you some more on this tomorrow............Don
Old 03-16-2005, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's right, it's the entire plastic shroud/piece that the handle is underneath. It is bolted into the hatchback door on both sides using plastic posts. They wanted to just fix it at first, but couldn't. Had to do an entire replace both times.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Both times it took 3-4 weeks for the dealer to get all the parts in on special order, which was definitely a pain, especially since I had the handle shroud lashed to the rear wiper with a piece of cord so I could still open the hatchback! (It worked, even tho it had fallen off the door.) Yeah, I was feeling pretty smooth for those coupla weeks, let me tell you...

Good idea on watching them install, Don. Let me know how it goes and I'll do the same if I can get them to fix mine for the THIRD time, too.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine just broke the other day. Has any one had this problem recently or is this just a few isolated incidents.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never felt all that sturdy to me but i haven't had a failure yet and mine is3 years old with 64k on it but it seems like i don't use mine as often as the op maybe 3-6 times per week(max)
Old 09-12-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yo

I was at a local (Winter Park Fl.) garage the other day on business and the owner commented on my xB.
He said he had a spare hatch handle for when I needed it. I looked surprised
He services a local pharmacy that has a fleet of xB's and told me they have to replace them all the time.
News to me - but, there you have it.
I'm being extra careful with mine, now that I know it's a weak link.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmm , more than 60 k never had a problem , I HAVE to think that the pieces are failing because of quickly pulling up on the handle to open or by slamming the rear hatch.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Defective Hatchback Handle

Originally Posted by teamkasnomas
Apparently so: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153945
Old 09-13-2007, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it was only made for light duty. being that the hatch release is a button, u dont have to pull on it much. i usually grab the bottom of the hatch after popping the door. this part should have been made stronger considering it will get alot of use
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine came off recently, but only after an issue from being rear ended. I went to open the hatch and even though I was still holding the handle, the latch did not relese from the lock. Being myself I yanked the handle almose clean off.
When I took it back to the body shop it did the same thing a few times. you could hear the mechanism release, but the last part or something wouldnt.(really hard to describe)
Then suddenly it just started working again and the problem couldn't be duplicated. They fixed the handle back into position and all was good. Until recently.

It happened when my wife went to open the hatch, then it ripped off one side again. After looking at how it attaches, there are two posts, one on each end, and two clips. One clip was sheared and the other not holding the cover.
I ended up mixing some expoxy, applied to the clip and broken clip and post. Now it's solid as a rock.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
hmm , more than 60 k never had a problem , I HAVE to think that the pieces are failing because of quickly pulling up on the handle to open or by slamming the rear hatch.
No, that is incorrect. It is poorly designed. Plastic posts/screws for a hatchback handle that has to swing down from 6-7' up in the air? C'mon, Toyota. Just count your blessings that your plastic posts are stronger than mine (and apparently those of many others).

Mine broke again recently but at 74K I am all the way out of warranty so that's the way it goes. Very disappointing, but other than that annoyance (which I am reminded of several times a week when I use the hatch) the car has been outstanding in every way.

I'm curious to assess the hatch design on the new xB.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm...never had a problem either, but mine only has 9000 miles on it and I don't use the hatch much....Maybe I got one with the sturdier plastic posts.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:43 PM

Mines popped right off! I love this car but rear hatch poorly designed!!!

[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

mine rattled clean off once or twice, but I locktighted the posts, if it breaks I'll just epoxy or panel bond it together, but mine seems pretty sturdy since its been lock tighted
Old 10-01-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

isnt that new chrome one from scionpro a full replacement? the left side of mine is feeling a bit loose and i can see whats coming next
Old 10-01-2007, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

it probably just needs a tightening get some blue lock tight, its made to come back off unlike the red, take both 10 mm nuts off put a little thread locker on there and put the bolts back on, get them hand tight and a quick snug, you'll be good, I think the reason they are snapping is because they are getting loose and no one realizes it
Old 10-05-2007, 02:51 PM

Default I can fix it!

They break all the time ( I work at a Scion Dealership) so I designed a stronger handle 2 mil thicker at the studs and 1mil thicker in the overall body with extra internal ribbing done all in chrome. This is my part produced under my Dare 2B Different Motorwerks label. 99.95 with free shipping for s/l members. You can find it here http://www.scionpro.com/cart/product...roducts_id=575

Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the rear hatch handle isn't defective....its just crappy and cheap.
There's a reason that the 1stgen xB was so inexpensive.

Quick Reply: Defective Hatchback Handle