Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Grill? We dont need no stinkin grill !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Grill? We dont need no stinkin grill !!

Got a wild hair and was wanting to do something 'different' for a grill. Maybe it has been done before, but I thought it turned out well. VERY easy to do to if you have a fiberglass hood with pins like I do, but still doable if not. I removed the old grill and the hood latch assembly and used a 1/2 threaded rod to run from one side of the grill opening to the other using the pre-existiing holes in the metal side supports. Got two pair of Hella 550 lights and instead of using the standard swivel light mounts that come with most lights, drilled the swivel hole out to 1/2 inch and ran the rod through the housings horizontally, so they are hanging from the rod instead of the traditional way of mounting them. Going this way there are no chances of mistakes with drill holes, trying to get them spaced right, getting around the supports with the drill, etc, just used nuts on either side of each light on the rod to hold their spacing and this way you can easily adjust/move/change layout anytime you want to too.You could not have asked for a better fit. The four of them with their covers on, fit exactly to the space between the uprights and equal horizontal spacing as well. Please dont flame me for the pic quality, just trying to share my mod. I do not have them wired yet (so no in action shots yet), but wanted to show you what I was up to. Was thinking about getting a piece of plexi and mount it in such a way that it would mold to the curved line in front of the grill area to clean up the airflow. I think that would really unite the look of 'transparency' to the headlight/driving light row. Happy Halloween all.
Attached Thumbnails Grill? We dont need no stinkin grill !!-dsc00568.jpg  
Old 10-29-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More detailed pics, please! Very interesting.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

All 4 of those are driving lights, on while the high beams are turned on? CA would say no, and I wouldn't risk getting stopped because of the lights. But I certainly do like the road ahead lit up, when there is no oncoming traffic.
Great job, and uniquely yours! Have fun with the BOX.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I vote no. as it just looks awkward
Old 10-31-2010, 06:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I vote to stay out of your way when on the street. Should be ok for show/off-road use only. (dont quote me on that)
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very unique! i dont like personally, but i am strange, and you shouldn't not like what i dont like anyway.
good for you for trying something new and one of a kind
Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I believe it's legal to do that. Not sure how it is state to state, but I'm pretty sure as long as they are covered up on public roads you should be ok. I think the law states something along the lines of vehicles not being able to have more than 4 "driving lights" on at once.

I think it looks pretty slick though. Kudos on trying something new. Need a bigger picture to get a real feel for it.