Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

JDM..? Foglight Install Advice UPDATED

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default JDM..? Foglight Install Advice UPDATED

Update 9/29/11: So after a year of using HID ballasts with the JDM setup, they have both stopped working within weeks of one another. I think the JDM setup was causing some problems so I am now going to setup my fogs with the OEM setup. I have ordered a Scion OEM Style Rocker Switch from oznium.com and I will be getting a Duralast Relay #19997 using this install: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08590-52820inst.pdf . I hope everything will work fine, but I will update this thread in the future to keep everybody informed.

Original Post:

So, I had to, once again, scour Google for answers to my questions while installing these foglights: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_6097wt_1167

Of course, being the noob that I am, I discover that these foglights are not compatible with the plug and play connectors currently installed with the xb. So, I try hooking up the lights to my box, and yes the connectors worked BUT when i hooked up the switch, the connector was wrong. So, I had to wire up the lights with the supplied harness and wiring (definitely something I didn't look forward to).

For people trying to install:

The harness contains 2 connectors for the fogs themselves. Those easily hook into the lamps.

One black ground wire. That should be connected to the black end of the battery. Then the harness meets up with a relay. The relay connector is on the actual wiring and the relay itself is supplied with the kit. Just plug in the relay provided.

From the relay, wiring is split in two: one is to the fuse and one is to the switch.

Fuse: If the metal piece inside the fuse is broken, your lights won't turn on. So don't troubleshoot the problem. You must obtain a new fuse to continue on.

From the fuse is a positive electrical wire, plug it in to the positive end of your battery.

Now back to the other split half from the relay. That wire needs to go through your firewall grommet (Right side of engine compartment facing the windshield) and fed into the back of the dashboard. The switch is at the end of this cord. The switch has 5-pins, but one isnt used. There are 4 cords coming in/out of the switch. One black and 3 reds (one of these reds is coming into the switch from the relay). Another red has a plastic dongle attached to the end.

The cord with the plastic dongle must be plugged into one of the fuses in the fuse box. The fuse box is located under and to the left of the steering column. This red wire is the "power control" wire. I took the plastic off and just plugged the copper wiring into one of the available fuses. When a current flows through this wire (this occurs when the car turns on), it tells the switch that "YES, you can now activate!" which then sends a current to the fuse and relay saying, "The switch is activated! Wait for a signal!" Once the switch is active, pressing it in and out tells the relay to turn the lights on and off.

Now what to do:
The switch provided for my kit is a JDM switch with an illuminated green light inside that turns on/off when the switch is activated. In order to use it, you must ground the black wire to the body of the car (somewhere behind dash) AND attach the red wire (the one without the plastic dongle) to a power supply. You can tap into the cigarette lighter for power.

Now then, THE GREEN LIGHT IS OPTIONAL for full operations of the fog lights. The switch will still work without the red and black wires connected. The switch easily fits in one of the knockout slots adjacent to the coin drawer thingie under the mini compartment. I did not use the green light

One other note:
For some reason, my switch seems to not be able to toggle my fogs on and off. Here's what happens. I have the switch in the ON position, car is off. Turn on car. Fogs turn on when car is on. Toggle the switch to off. Fogs turn off. Car is still running. Toggle switch AGAIN to ON. Fogs stay off. So, what I do is keep the switch in the ON position all the time when operating my car. They turn on when I turn on the car, off when i turn off the car. Night and Day.

The looks:
The fog lights are tinted black and look much better than stock fogs, IMO. The provided bulbs for mine are 9006 with a blue covering over the bulb, so that when they are turned on, they appear to have a blue coloring. One of the bulbs was bad within 5mins of operation. Disappointing.

Questions For the Experts (no longer needed):
1) I have noticed that my subwoofer and audio system is half the quality as it was before. The subwoofer seems to be at half volume. It still turns on and the status light shines bright as normal, but the output bass seems to have been cut in half. Also, the door speakers (stock) seem to have lost all mid-bass sound. My in-dash speakers seem to be unaffected. QUESTION: Are the foglights sucking too much power and causing the audio system to malfunction? Btw, I am using a stock battery that I have used since owning. The sub ran fine and so did the speakers, but now that the fog lights are installed (and always ON while the car is on), this is happening.

2)If I need to upgrade my battery AND that is the problem, what battery do I need? Links? Feedback?

3)I also want to put HID lights in the fogs...So I am assuming I would definitely need to upgrade my stock battery for the ballasts. Any information regarding HID fogs?

**UPDATE**: My car audio is back to normal. I forgot that when I unplug my battery, my stock head unit defaults the car type to Scion tC, instead of Scion xB. Hold down the SSP button to view what car type the head unit is using and adjust with ****. Everything is back to normal. Thanks again!

Remember, I am a freaking noob when it comes to this stuff, so please dumb it down for me. Thanks, and hope you enjoyed the lecture other fellow noobs.

Last edited by ajcadoo; 09-29-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have some jdm fogs to but. I have no problems with my sun or speakers. My fog switch has 3wires two red and one black . One red connects with the other red wire witch u ran. In from the firewall. The other red wire I taped it with the light green wire with the brown lines from an unused harness. . The black I grounded it on the inside with a metal screw. Maybe u taped your wire to a. Wrong wife that is some how connected to your stereo.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice cheap kit. I my hid projectors cutoff too low and I can't see well at night before hills.
So I was thinking about getting some OEM style fogs.

I botched my harnesses already so I would just hook them up with a relay so they always go on whenever my parking lights go on. (no switch to worry about)

It's not hard, just get a relay (40AMP, maybe more)

attach:
pin 30 straight to the battery using a thicker gauge, fused wire (12 gauge, 30-40AMP)

pin 87 to power of fog lights (ground actual fog lights to car frame)

pin 85 to frame for ground

pin 86 to parking lights wire (tap into green wire on driver's side)

This works for many high power accessories.

As for the audio, my stock battery is 5 years old and has been drained once by accident and has to deal with increased draw from the 5 LED sets of lights I've added to the dome, the amplified 8" sub, and a set of cheap fogs with two H3 bulbs. The sound still sounds the same as always. I'm not sure what's going on with your setup.

Last edited by Zman; 09-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update 9/29/11: So after a year of using HID ballasts with the JDM setup, they have both stopped working within weeks of one another. I think the JDM setup was causing some problems so I am now going to setup my fogs with the OEM setup. I have ordered a Scion OEM Style Rocker Switch from oznium.com and I will be getting a Duralast Relay #19997 using this install: http://www.trdsparks.com/install/08590-52820inst.pdf . I hope everything will work fine, but I will update this thread in the future to keep everybody informed.