Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Which Paint Job Would You Choose?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:33 PM

Default Which Paint Job Would You Choose?

Two days ago, someone hit my car while it was parked in a parking lot. They never left a note, so I have no idea who did it. My car is a 2006 XB with no other damage and is in great condition with only 18,000 miles on it.

There is no body damage in terms of dents or dings. The only damage is to the paint -- the right rear wheel well is scratched up and a small portion of the bumper till it makes the dog-leg turn toward the rear. My car is dark blue and this was white paint scratched on it.

I took the car to the Scion dealer's collision shop and the body man looked it over. First he tried rubbing compound to see if the scrapes and scruff marks would rub out, but they didn't.

He gave me two estimates to fix the damage. The first would be to remove the body panels from the wheel well up to and including the right back side window and remove the bumper including the right rear lights, and resand, paint and clear coat those whole body pieces. This job would run roughly $890.

The second option would be to pull back the bottom moldings and sand, paint and clear coat the damaged areas up to the dogleg around the right rear light. He said that the paint would be blended in and no line would be visible from where the repair stopped. He also stated that normally they don't like to do this because the paint could flake off in time. This job would run roughly $540.

Since my insurance deductible is more than this, I have to pay for the job out of my own pocket.

Each job I'm concerned about - the $890 involves removing the right rear side window, lights, etc. So there's a lot being taken off the car that has to go back together again just perfect. The $540 job runs the risk of "flaking" as he stated.

I want to make clear this is the officially licensed Scion dealer (a huge dealer in my city) and this is their body shop center, not some fly-by-night operation.

If money were no object, if it were you, what job would you do? The $890 or the $540?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Either job there is going to be a blend line (unless he is planning to paint up around the rear window and all the way forward to the windshield pillar).

I would split the difference, have him pull the rear bumper & lights, but precision mask the rear window and blend in the pillar behind it. The way the rear window is installed makes is easy to mask it without a visible paint line.