Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Primer color from factory? That might be cool...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
DelMarVa
Scion Evolution
Scion Tuners

Default Primer color from factory? That might be cool...

Check it out...

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=00961134

Might be an option so you can paint it yourself. I am thinking of the Kamelion color that was used on Mustang Cobras back in 97. That would rock!!!

Doc
Old 11-17-2003, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah i saw that. I could do with less shine... but one of the cars had to be washed with distilled water... that could get spendy. :D

Nathan
ycart1201
Old 11-17-2003, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

who likes that idea? i think it would be a hit...i mean we have soo many peeps that take the factory paint off and do their own work...that would be cool for them you know? what you guys/gals think?
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

toyota will never sell a car in primer. Primer is not water proof and the body will rust through quickly if not painted. Also, primer can not be left uncovered for a length of time. After so much time it will need to be re-primered before paint. There is just too much liabilty for toyota to have brand new cars rusting because they sold a car in primer and the guy didnt paint it right away. just my $.02
Old 11-17-2003, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

The way that I read the article is that it would be a special order sort of deal. Also that it would cost a little bit more. Since the Scion line is more of a modular type of car that you are suppose to order to your liking, and then get financed. Then take delivery after it has been completed to your specifications I think that it is a completely feasible idea. If you are in the market to buy a car that you wanted to customize than it would be worth it to have the option of primer available. We bought our car and within a month it was off to the paint shop. If the primer option would have been available we probably would have paid more to get it that way.

I hope that if and when they start selling them this way they will arrive without all of the trim pieces attached. I think that it would be neat to be able to get a brand new car and take it to paint without having to disassemble the thing. It is an interesting concept that totally goes along with, as the article says "Scions (refusal) to play by the rules". Basically I think this would be a good option to have.

My 2 cents Vicki
Old 11-17-2003, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randode
toyota will never sell a car in primer. Primer is not water proof and the body will rust through quickly if not painted
Very good point. Primer is made to help the finish coat stick to the metal, not to waterproof the metal.

George
Old 11-17-2003, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What does however make sense, is to let buyers choose their own colors. If you're going to pay more anyway, might as well be for what you really want. Scion minimizes liability and buyers get what they want this way. Perhaps what they can do is open the paint section for custom car colors on Saturdays and Sundays -- the rest of the week they do quantity runs of factory colors.

I think it would certainly be less expensive for Scion than just primering and as Randode pointed out, less of a liability too. Hmmm...
Old 11-23-2003, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by George
Originally Posted by randode
toyota will never sell a car in primer. Primer is not water proof and the body will rust through quickly if not painted
Very good point. Primer is made to help the finish coat stick to the metal, not to waterproof the metal.

George
The cars I saw at SEMA that were painted a primer color, were painted with several layers of flat coat, therefore protecting the car while keeping the "primered look". Plus the "primer" wasn't actually primer but paint with a flat black or gray/silver look. Actual primer was used before the paint and flat coats were added. Several cars had this look and it was alright, but just looked unfinished. Not my style but it could be a good idea.

Old 11-23-2003, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is something that i've been wanting to do to my xB is paint it flat black. i just love that look.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by projxB
this is something that i've been wanting to do to my xB is paint it flat black. i just love that look.
I agree the flat black look is very nice. The only thing is, I was told the paint and outer coats are expensive. Go for it man if you like it, I bet it'd be sweet on an xB.