Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Recall for trunk handle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Default Recall for trunk handle?

I have noticed SO MANY 1st-Gen xB's with duct tape, extra screws, gorilla glue [my personal favorite] holding the rear hatch handle. Has there or WILL THERE EVER BE A RECALL ON THIS? My pricey$ extended warranty does not cover "handles". I have located the part - not bad for $99. What kicks a brotha's butt is the labor $179. The parts dept was nice enough to show me how it is replaced....but I am known for losing pieces when repairing anything. Help me out....my box looks bootleg with a handle barely hanging on...not to mention the many mendings of Gorilla Glue sticking out!
Many Blessings-
Hutx
Old 11-11-2010, 12:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's been so long that hoping for a recall now would just be pointless. They are very easy to replace though. Ive helped a few xB1 friends replace theirs and it only takes about 10 minutes. Just make sure all the screws are undone and you dont bust any clips, that way you have some spare parts incase you lose anything
Old 11-11-2010, 03:10 PM

Good fo lookin' Phobic...your nombre really matches your help homie...I no longer am phobic to tackle this task! Blessings- Hutx
Old 11-11-2010, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can get extra trim fasteners at lowes for about $0.35 ea, or just pocket em.. you didn't hear that form me though.. i think the ones i got that are almost an exact match are for Chrystler. if you bring in one, you can check the sizes and grab a few extra. if you want to replace all of em (dont have a trim puller, and you break most of them removing the trim on the inside of the hatch) you will need 13..
it would be a good time to replace with a carbon hatch handle cover, if you are into that look..i have seen em for about 99 on ebay..
takes about 10-15 min start to finish as posted above.. this is also a good time to dynamatt your hatch, remove your wiper motor (if you dont use your rear wiper), and re-upolster your hatch trim pannel, if you dont like fuzzy carpet
Old 11-11-2010, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There will never be a recall for a door handle. The Feds only mandate recalls for safety issues, and companies don't recall voluntarily.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R
There will never be a recall for a door handle. The Feds only mandate recalls for safety issues, and companies don't recall voluntarily.
True, but a Technical Service Bulletin would be nice.