Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Where to find rear passenger window motor/regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Where to find rear passenger window motor/regulator?

I'm having a heck of a time finding the Dorman part for my Mother's 05 Scion xB. Her rear passenger window regulator is not working and I'd like to order the part before I get to her house for the holidays.
She's not going to go through working with a voltmeter to verify it's getting power so I'll just return it if i dont need it and it ends up being wiring, a fuse, etc.

All I can find is the regulator WITHOUT the motor. Is the motor a separate part? Is it the same part on a Lexus, it seems to be classified the same? Should I order just the regulator, just the motor, or what?
Really could use some insight. Is the front the same as the rear? The parts do look different.

I come from the world of working on GM full sizes and I don't know what I'm doing wrong here LOL

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-17-2017 at 04:01 AM. Reason: typos
Old 12-16-2017, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll take a pass on diagnosing exactly what your issue is and what part to replace, but I might take issue with using a Dorman part - any Dorman part. I have had exactly zero positive experiences with any of the Dorman parts I or my friends have used. We generally refer to them as "the Harbor Freight of automotive replacement parts." I'd put a junkyard part in before a Dorman part.

BTW, Here's the parts and part numbers:

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto-...rear-door-scat

Last edited by 2stroked; 12-16-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
I'll take a pass on diagnosing exactly what your issue is and what part to replace, but I might take issue with using a Dorman part - any Dorman part. I have had exactly zero positive experiences with any of the Dorman parts I or my friends have used. We generally refer to them as "the Harbor Freight of automotive replacement parts." I'd put a junkyard part in before a Dorman part.

BTW, Here's the parts and part numbers:

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/auto-...ront-door-scat

Just out of curiosity, where are you located? I happen to have a complete (2006) driver side rear door in my basement with those parts inside it.
First of all thanks for your insight and quick reply. I live in Iowa, she lives in Florida. Looks like you're in NY so thank you for the offer but I'm not sure it'll be worth it!
I'm doing some assumptions on the troubleshooting you're right, I'm not there to look at it and she's not tech savvy.

Your link was for the front, but instead of asking you to find the rear for me it looks like I found it here:

Any idea why the motor and regulator come separate? would you recommend I start with the motor, then the regulator? or order both? the motor is almost 300 OEM so there's no way I'm doing that, nor will she.

To be honest, we just need a fix that will last a few years so I will do some research and try to find something. I understand your concerns with Dorman, but if it will get her by for a while I may decide to use that.
I'm open to all recommendations because I am not as familiar with this car as you are (as easy as it has been to work with in the past when it comes to the dash, I got her a new headunit for Christmas last year)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-17-2017 at 04:00 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2017, 11:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mitchell0715
First of all thanks for your insight and quick reply. I live in Iowa, she lives in Florida. Looks like you're in NY so thank you for the offer but I'm not sure it'll be worth it!
I'm doing some assumptions on the troubleshooting you're right, I'm not there to look at it and she's not tech savvy.

Your link was for the front, but instead of asking you to find the rear for me it looks like I found it here:

Any idea why the motor and regulator come separate? would you recommend I start with the motor, then the regulator? or order both? the motor is almost 300 OEM so there's no way I'm doing that, nor will she.

To be honest, we just need a fix that will last a few years so I will do some research and try to find something. I understand your concerns with Dorman, but if it will get her by for a while I may decide to use that.
I'm open to all recommendations because I am not as familiar with this car as you are (as easy as it has been to work with in the past when it comes to the dash, I got her a new headunit for Christmas last year)
I'd love to be able to troubleshoot it for you from my computer, but I think you know how hard that is. Without laying hands on it, it's virtually impossible to determine what's wrong.

That said, I think we can rule out the regulator mechanism. I can count the number of those I've seen go bad on one hand. That leaves the switch and the motor, a fuse, and one nobody mentioned - a stuck window. The first thing I'd have her try is having somebody pull down on the window (assuming it's stuck up) and see if something just got jammed. Hey, you never know! Next, I'd check for a blown fuse. My son has the official Toyota Service Books for my 2006 xB and I'll ask him to look up the circuit and fuse for you.

Trouble shooting to figure out if it's the motor or the switch is going to require somebody to lay hands on the car. But I think the reason Toyota made the motor and regulator separate parts is the fact that the motor goes bad more often than the regulator. Why replace them both when only one goes bad? Besides, regulators are generally a PITA to remove and replace. The motor should be pretty easy.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also looks like RockAuto has just what you're looking for:

2005 SCION XB 1.5L L4 Window Motor | RockAuto
Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM

I'm looking at the vehicle today and I'll do some actual troubleshooting, if I need the motor it looks like rockauto has a decent price so thanks for that.

I don't think there's a multimeter here so I'm going to grab one and start looking at electrical, if it checks out I'll order the motor. Otherwise, if I have no power, I'll start going from the switch back. Couldn't be the power window fuse or button as I checked both and they're tied together with another window that works.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:58 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Caveat Emptor:

RockAuto.com Rated 1/5 stars by 3,062 Consumers

259 ROCKAUTO Complaints and Reviews @ ____ed Consumer

RockAuto Reviews - 46 Reviews of Rockauto.com | SiteJabber

Ripoff Report | Rock Auto Parts Complaint Review Madison, Wisconsin

RockAuto.com - Poor service, Review 381939 | Complaints Board
Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 PM

So I shouldn't have spoken because I looked a little deeper and it's just the stupid window getting stuck in the seal on the top. It pulled it out of the bottom track slightly over time until the point it wore out. I'm going to just put some window sealant in the crack and let the window dry in it. I don't have silicon and I don't really care what holds it as long as it doesn't react with the rubber guide.

If anyone wants pictures let me know. The entire bottom guide rolled off its roller and was laying in the door, took me a second to realize that.

Last edited by mitchell0715; 12-22-2017 at 07:57 PM.