Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/)
-   -   Yakima or Thule Roof Rack? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-aero-exterior-1607/yakima-thule-roof-rack-141404/)

Puz06xB 07-10-2008 06:43 PM

Yakima or Thule Roof Rack?

Looking for some opinions on roof racks, generally I seem to be able to find Thule racks cheaper, is there a reason? Is Yakima the way to go?

Metro273 07-11-2008 12:39 AM

I don't have one yet but when I get one, it's gonna be a Yakima!... :clap:

DarkSide_xB 07-11-2008 01:41 AM

im a thule whore. every car i have owned has had a thule rack. and the roof of my b got scuffed bad from my thule rack. but i think its because i put it on when the b was dirty.

kewlbox 07-11-2008 03:19 AM

I had both of them, and each has something beter than the other(mostly different bike and snowboard mounting items).
Thule has square bars and the yakima has round, yakima's bars are easyr to use different brand name items with the bars.

I liked the thule better than the yakima i have now.

tCscotty 07-11-2008 03:32 AM

I have a Yakima. First rack i have ever owned. Easy to put on and the only attachment I have is a cargo basket. I was mainly going for the look, but it has came in handy more than I thought it would.

bigskyscion 07-11-2008 08:36 AM

I worked at a rack shop selling both brands for quite a while. In terms of build quality, etc. they are near identical. As you can already see, everyone has their own preference. I personally think the Yakima looks a little smoother on a car like ours.

These days most accessories for both brands will work interchangeably with little adapter brackets (many of the parts like ski racks even come with mounting brackets that will work with either one).

My opinion is to find the one that is cheaper (usually Yakima, especially for the big ticket items) and the one you like and enjoy yourself. You will get plenty of use and functionality out of either.

Puz06xB 07-11-2008 02:53 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, I too was thinkin the Yakima has a better look, plus and this maybe silly... don't like how the Thule fairing says Sweeden in the sticker logo :nope:

I found a Yakima on craigslist yesterday and am pickin up the whole setup for $125 with extra locks and a bike rack :love: CAN'T WAIT

senormeany 07-11-2008 05:02 PM

I keep my Yakima fairing backwards so even those letters don't show. Gives it a slightly cleaner look from the front. Obviously from behind you see it, but I could care less.

kewlbox 07-12-2008 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by senormeany
I keep my Yakima fairing backwards so even those letters don't show. Gives it a slightly cleaner look from the front. Obviously from behind you see it, but I could care less.

Mine is on the same way.

And $125 is a good deal.