First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

2005 xB failing Emissions Test - EVAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2005 xB failing Emissions Test - EVAP

I brought my 05 xB to get a sticker (MA) the other day and was shocked when the guy told me it didn't pass.

It threw no codes but a few tests were registering as 'Not ready'. I connected my code scanner and went for a long ride (my wife uses this car for her short in-town commute) and watched as Three of the four 'inc's (I'm assuming for incomplete) disappeared from the screen as they became ready for testing (O2 sensor heat, O2 sensor, Catalytic Converter).

One remained 'inc' - the Evap system monitor.

I've searched around and seen a couple of references to a TSB relating to this, but can't find the actual TSB on the NHTSA site. Does anyone have the actual TSB and would it cover this year?

I have not thrown any codes and my check engine light has not come on (the posts about the TSB seem to show that multiple lights come on including the trac off and vsc lights).

This car has been great and I have never had it in for warranty service - which really stinks right now because my 36 months ran out 2 weeks ago (figures, right?).

If anyone has the TSB or if anyone can give me the specific drive cyccle to make sure the Evap system would be ready for testing I would greatly appreciate it. I travel for work quite a bit and won;t be able to bring this in to the dealer until next weekend.

-Justin
Old 03-24-2008, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont see an EVAP one listed.. only one for clogged injectors, relating to fuel system..
reset the PCM latley?.. its odd to see that, but it has to have exact conditions met before it will complete..
I tried to search All Data for those conditions, but they are not there.. they can be found in the factory service manual, but I dont have one..generally a day on the road will eventually trigger the conditions..
some highway driving.. sometimes it has to meet them twice during the same drive cycle.. wish I knew what they were.. sorry
Old 03-24-2008, 12:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's the strange thing - this car has never been reset and has never had the battery disconnected for any reason. The battery has also never gone dead so it's never needed a jumpstart.

I found an online pdf of the FSM, I will see if I can find the drive cycles there. From reading the description of the monitoring system in that FSM, it looks like the system should always be in a ready state - and will throw a code if it thinks the sensors are not working.

Unless the guys at the service station reset things when they tested it, I can't imagine why so many sensors were not ready. The car is driven daily, if usually only for short spurts ont he highway.

The other systems are all ready for test - it's just the Evap that isn't.

I don't mind replacing things that make a car better... but I'm not green enough to get escited at the thought of replacing my charcoal canister.

-Justin
Old 03-24-2008, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

These are called System Readiness Tests. These MUST be set to show that the emissions systems are working properly. You will need a drive pattern to get these to set and the only way to get this is from a Toyota dealership. Hopefully you know someone who works there or someone on here hooks you up with the drive pattern...Good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So the drive cycles are definitely not in the factory Service Manual? I'm fine if it's not - knowing would save me a LOT of searching and unwanted non-recreational reading.

For those looking for FSM info:

http://www.myjdmphoenix.com/images/04_xB_Repair_Manual/

Figured I'd share - I was pretty excited to stumble across this, but wish it was a little easier to navigate.

-Justin
Old 03-24-2008, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I thought the emissions have a longer warranty than the 36k and 36 months.
But i could be wrong.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i think pollution control devices have a 5 year warranty.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wel.. I have a good canister you can have (pay for ship), but That would trigger a code if it were the issue.. like you said, short burst on the
highway will probably not get you into the drive cycle zone for that to complete.. I know for Acura its 45mph for 5
minutes, then 45-65 for 5 minutes, twice, non-stop
thats what I mean, if you cant find the info. it just means
alot of driving to find it.. the emissions portion of your warranty is longer, so tell the dealer what happened and they should square you away free.. but I know you have no time..
Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The emissions warranty is longer for certain items, but I checked the wwarranty booklet today and it seems that the evap stuff is 3/36 just like the regular warranty. If it were some kind of problem with the gas tank it would be stretched to 7/70.

The more I read about OBDII testing, it seems like you can have one sensor in a non-ready state and still pass. if I can't find the drive cycle to put the evap in ready condition by next week, I'll just hope it passes with everything but evap ready.

Annoying - my 01 Miata and 98 civic pass with no problems. The xB is the car I didn;t even think would have an issue.

-Justin
Old 03-24-2008, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Warrranty

Bring it to the dealer. If you are only 2 weeks out they should help you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. If they don't help you it is time to find a new dealer. Just my opinion - but c'mon they can get it under warranty if they WANT to.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yup^^ its called a "good will" warranty, they have a account just for that from the manufacturer, generaly cars that are just out of warranty with a legitament issue qualify for this
Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may not ven need warranty service. I assume if there were no communication or readings indicating failure then the ecu would throw a code.

The not ready or incomplete status just indicated that the ecu has not seen the required drive cycle(s) to be ready for the test.

If I knew the proper drive cycle to put the evap system in ready mode, I could just run through it myself and hopefully clear it. This is a much simpler solution for me than dealer service - even if they will cover it under warranty.

-Justin
Old 03-25-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

If you haven't spent any $$$ at the dealership, a majority of these dealerships won't "goodwill" anything after the basic warranty has expired...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I haven't spent anything more than the purchase price of the car at the dealership - or were you talking about bringing it to a dealer other than the one I bought the car from?

-Justin
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont worry about the EVAP monitor. They can take a long time to set. If there is a real problem, the Check Engine light will be ON. Just make sure your gas cap is tight, also having a full gas tank can help. If the monitor is ''not ready'' all that means is ECM has not verified that particular system is working properly after the memory had been cleared (with a scanner or battery disconnect). EVAP also will take longer time to verify when ambient temp is low.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I took my xB to the local garage and it failed the emissions test, I would take it to the dealer and have them repeat the emissions test. If it's within the warranty and it fails, then they would fix it?

One of my friends had a similar problem with an F-150. Took it to a local shop and couldn't get something to reset to pass the emissions test. I guess the mechanic drove it around for a while and it finally reset and passed. Otherwise, he was going to have to take it into the Ford dealer.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I flew back in last night, I hooked up my code scanner and all the monitors were reading ready. Brought it back to the garage and got my inspection sticker to replace the embarassing 'R' (for REJECTED) that has been on there for the past few days.

I think the garage must have reset the thing, because the car is driven daily and it didn't take much more driving of the type it sees on a daily basis to set those monitors to ready.

-Justin
Old 03-27-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^^Congrats..