Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Aftermarket LED tail light MOD (diy sorta)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

snow, do you mean to solder both ends of the resistors together at the same site on the ground wire?,sorry for the dumb questions, im not too familiar with resistors.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea thats exactly what i mean. just makes it easier on you :-)

then you can wrap everything up together as well if you wrap the wiring afterwards or zip tie it.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

;)

Way too dirty - but anyway :D Took me around 1 full day to compleate these...

Before you ask - brake / parking lights inserts are from VW Passat 06' Everything else was just soldered into them
Old 03-31-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just finished this mod, big props to snowromance for this.

I followed snow's diagram, but changed the location where i wired the resistors in, also, i used quick connects so everything can be changed back to stock, and i did not cut into the stock harness, i only cut into the aftermarket light harness. here are some pics.

Ok, my only problem I need help with (which i noticed prior to even doing any mods to the lights): on the passanger side, the second and third row of leds are dimmer than the rest, but only with the parking lights (they are the same brightness with the brake/turn lights) How can i fix this?

here is a video,i made my own led third brake light. it was fine until i installed the new tails, now it is waaayyyy to dim compared to the tail light leds. (got a brake light from snowromance on the way)
Old 04-01-2008, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by doggy
;) Way too dirty - but anyway :D Took me around 1 full day to compleate these...

Before you ask - brake / parking lights inserts are from VW Passat 06' Everything else was just soldered into them
that is pretty freakin cool that the passat OEM LED boards fit right in the stock TYC tails. great find!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by leov36
I just finished this mod, big props to snowromance for this.

I followed snow's diagram, but changed the location where i wired the resistors in, also, i used quick connects so everything can be changed back to stock, and i did not cut into the stock harness, i only cut into the aftermarket light harness. here are some pics.

Ok, my only problem I need help with (which i noticed prior to even doing any mods to the lights): on the passanger side, the second and third row of leds are dimmer than the rest, but only with the parking lights (they are the same brightness with the brake/turn lights) How can i fix this?

here is a video,i made my own led third brake light. it was fine until i installed the new tails, now it is waaayyyy to dim compared to the tail light leds. (got a brake light from snowromance on the way)
hey that works too with only cutting into the aftermarket light's harness. what i did was splice new wiring into my stock harness. about 12" long strands to each wire so that i had plenty of room to spare for adding and modding things in the future and still be able to plug in my stock tails if i needed. yours is actually the cleaner approach.

its so funny looking at all the wiring... i bet people on the fence to do this mod are like NO WAY! LOL. its really not that bad though, once you get going you just know where everything plugs in and it's rather easy.

i wish i could help you with the dimming of the 2 strands of LEDs in the right tail light. if it was like that already you may just have a bad connection on the aftermarkets LED board somewhere. no guarentee how quality those things are put together, ive never seen one on the inside to know.

does it go away at all if you get rid of the electronic converter?
Old 04-01-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This mod is not hard to do. I drew a colored diagram of the wiring before starting so i would not screw it up.

The converter had nothing to do with the two rows of dim lights, someday i will attempt to bake these open and try to fix them. If anyone ever opens these up, or has done so already, let me know how it goes.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice work. Looks good.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member

looks great, good job!!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its funny that you have a similar problem with the right side being dimmer. You did a great job with the connectors. I have to pull mine out and redo them.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice work guys..........
Old 04-08-2008, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i really need to open these up to figure whats wrong with my two rows of leds on the passanger side, its starting to bug me. i just have a few concerns.

will it be okay to bake these things open, will the heat destroy the leds?

what temp should i use?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i'm not too sure about baking these. it worries me. ok my original plan was going to be removing all the LEDs and install my own but when it came down to getting the tail light open... i stopped because although it looked as if they were only held together with a sealant, along the outer edges it kind of look plastic welded which like everyone knows you would have to cut them open then.

i just didnt get too involved into it, but from the looks i was a little worried. not saying that baking them open isnt possible, they very well could be bake-able to open. in fact they most likely are and i was just being lazy.

the heat from what most people say is 250* for 10 minutes first and then just keeping checking every couple minutes or so after that until they are able to pry the lenses off with your hands.

please take pictures or well just explain what worked for you to get them open once you do it! i have different plans for my lights once i get the lenses off :-)
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nice diy.. let me contribute my box.. no resistors.. so its puilling the 3 cel lights and blinking is to fast.. btw i just noticed after the install.. i turn on the hazards.. i can see my 3rd brake light turn on.. but was dim.. is it cause of the missing resistors? thumbs up to snowromance.. now the vid..

Old 04-16-2008, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you really need to throw some resistors in there, the lights blink way to fast and they dont look right.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cheXmiXB
nice diy.. let me contribute my box.. no resistors.. so its puilling the 3 cel lights and blinking is to fast.. btw i just noticed after the install.. i turn on the hazards.. i can see my 3rd brake light turn on.. but was dim.. is it cause of the missing resistors? thumbs up to snowromance.. now the vid..
nice work, you nailed it! now the only thing you need to fix the problem is some resistance in your brake light circuit. that is why your 3rd brake light is illuminating dim and you probably noticed the 3 warning lights on the dash. throw an 8ohm/25watt or so resistor somewhere in the brake circuit and that will go away. if you need one in hand same-day you can get them at radio shack.

i received a PM from a gentleman who told me he just put one resistor in the brake light circuit and it went away so you dont even need one on each side. just one resistor anywhere in the circuit and the problem will cease.

i would also advice putting some resistance in each turn signal circuit as well though to cure the seizure flash effect :-)
Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Yeah.. I got some from radio shack.. Forgot what I got.. I know I got 2 8 ohms and 2 10 ohms.. So I put the 8 on the turn and 10 on the brake.. Hey snowromance.. You got pm
Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I need to get off my butt and do this.....
Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

watching

Quick Reply: Aftermarket LED tail light MOD (diy sorta)