SL Member

I could be wrong, though.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by wbw6cos
Originally Posted by KryptonKalEl
I read in the xB manual that some models have the a/c filter behind the glove compartment? And if for some reason that the a/c is getting weak you should try cleaning the filter. Did anybody verify that there is an a/c filter behind the glove compartment?
I have an 06 and yes, there is something behind the glove box. Only in my case, the filter was not there. I have read posts on this and you can buy one from dealer, or order one through NAPA or whatever. Beats me to why they manufacture a filter holder, but do not install the filter. I have read that some fab their own utilizing "cut-to-size" filter material sold for home a/c use. The air filter is there only for the fresh air that comes into the system. When one "recirc" I am not sure if it is in the loop or not. My $.02
Filter is not included in xB because it is a low-end economy car. And that fan assy. is used on other Toyota vehicles which are more expensive. Those vehicles do include the filter. One such vehicle is a RAV4. So, a RAV4 filter is a perfect fit for xB. And as you've already found out, you can make your own filter or purchase an aftermaket filter.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned
SL Member

^^^ there is a direct replacement filter that is a Toyota part, i just dont have the number off hand. I believe its $30.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Helpful thread on filters:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20753

Info about inexpensive OEM filter:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...512928#2512928
Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanx for the pointer, hopefully Wal-Mart will still have the ac filter.

So Pimp Daddy! Got an 85 Biarritz huh !
Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i did mine in agust 2005 and had worked real good
the buletin numeber is AC-4007-04
they change some hoses and put a bigger condenser
and in my case a new compresor.
we get tempeture around 95 and up and works great
Old 05-30-2007, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

i have a 2004. would i still be eligible to take mine in and have it serviced under that TSB?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have an 06 and today was the first day I ran my a/c. I was pretty disappointed. It cooled it off a little but not very much at all. It was a long 3 hour drive.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife has an 04 and a rs4, the 04 has better ac than the new one, i'm a firm believer in not opening up ac systems but this one is a joke.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm kinda surprised at all the different responses. Seem it's hit or miss when it comes to the a/c. An RS4 with sucky a/c ? Those are the very last of the 06.5's ??????
And mine works really good...........
Old 06-05-2007, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SuperMario6582
i have a 2004. would i still be eligible to take mine in and have it serviced under that TSB?
A TSB is only guidance for the mechanic about a problem noted by Toyota when you come in with a specific complaint. A TSB is covered under the 3 year/36,000 warranty. After that, you pay for the service.

If your box's date of first use is earlier than June you'll have to pay, no matter the milage, because it's beyond 3 years.

There are several TSBs for the 04 AC units. Your dealer can choose to ignore them, and might, depending upon how much $$ they will lose providing the service. They are not required to do TSB work, it's only guidance to save the mechanic effort finding the root of the problem.

If you want AC work done under warranty, and your car is less than 3 years old, better get going. You only have a few months left, and once it's cold, the probem might be impossible to notice. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I noticed that the approx 18" copper/aluminum tubing that runs from the compressor to the evaporator box is so cold that frost forms on it (at least here in Hawaii on humid days). I'm wondering if I could improve A/C cooling by encasing the tubing in 1/2" closed-cell foam insulating tubing, da kine for keeping water warm in house plumbing.

Kerry
Old 11-22-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kerry
I noticed that the approx 18" copper/aluminum tubing that runs from the compressor to the evaporator box is so cold that frost forms on it (at least here in Hawaii on humid days). I'm wondering if I could improve A/C cooling by encasing the tubing in 1/2" closed-cell foam insulating tubing, da kine for keeping water warm in house plumbing.
It wouldn't hurt. There is a thermostat that signals the compressor to turn on and off. So adding insulation probably wouldn't make it colder, just keep the compressor from running as much.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kerry

Kerry
Neah, that won't make a difference. That is just warm (low pressure side) gas coming from the evaporator. Warm is a relative term as you see it as being cool. That gas already picked up all the heat it could in the evaporator. It enters the low pressure side of the compressor (which is hot) and then it gets compressed (makes it even hotter) and then it enters the condenser where it gets cooled down until it becomes liquid.

Insulatiing that tubing woildn't affect the efficiency of the AC.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Funny all the different AC outputs. My 05 has blowed so cold I hardly run it on high even when it was over 100 degrees this past summer. Most the time it's on the lowest setting.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

the only way I've ever been able to get my xb cool during the summer is to run the a/c on full blast and two windows down 2 cracked open at 70 on the interstate, dealer said "its working fine it cools to 70 thats all you need"
Old 11-22-2007, 08:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks peteski et al,

I should add that I'm very satisfied with my 2006 xB's A/C. I most always have the fan on the lowest setting w/cabin air on recirculate. I was thinking that insulating the frosted tubing might cause the compressor to not have to kick in as often.

Kerry

Kerry
Old 11-22-2007, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Only problem is that our compressors are always on. They do not have an external clutch like other a/c comps. do. They have internal valving that determines how much work it does. This is why using the a/c all the time in a Scion has very little effect on mpgs.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's good to know.

Thanks,

Kerry
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would have to dig up my wiring diagrams to make sure but I'm almost positive that xB (just as any modern car) has a temperature sensor on the evaporator which turns off the compressor when the evaporator temperature goes below a certain value. And it most certainly has a clutch! If it didn't have a clutch it would constantly cool the car (even on the economy setting). If if there was no clutch, there wouldn't be any need for the AC button on the dash.

So the xB's compressor is on only when the AC button is depressed (or if it is in defrost mode) and the evaporator temperature is above some preset temperature.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning kind of weak 2006 xB Auto