Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Any Interest in Genuine Toyota Cruise Controls?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Any Interest in Genuine Toyota Cruise Controls?

Wondering how much interest there is in the Genuine Toyota Cruise Control? It has a full Factory Warranty and is distributed by Toyota-Scion.

Ken
Old 02-08-2005, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll give ya a brand-spanking-new $50 Scion gift card for it.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Banned
SL Member

$$??
Old 02-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default $$

Originally Posted by Tamago
$$??
They retail for $250.71 they're on sale for $199.71+ $6 to $7 shipping.

Ken
Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned
SL Member

tempting! can you show the interface? does it mount on the steering column?
Old 02-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Instructions

Here's a link to our site and the instructions you can download are in the upper right hand corner of the page. I think everything is there that you might need.

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...1&parts_id=379

Ken
Old 02-09-2005, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would be afraid to do that install myself. You guys would all be on here talking about the xA that rocketed down the freeway to it's death.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default freeway rocket.

I'd be the same way. For this kind of thing, I always go to the dealer.

Ken
Old 02-09-2005, 01:29 PM
Banned
SL Member

:D i'll gladly install this for anyone in the south florida region cars are my friends
Old 02-09-2005, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

It may have warranty, but that's not a Toyota part. It's a Southeast Toyota part.

That is the cruise that is made by Rostra, and it is the same exact kit that we offer our customers here.

All of the Toyota cruise controls are on the right side of the wheel, on the lower side.

LATER
Old 02-09-2005, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did the install myself with one of these kits. It was easy. A couple of the steps in the instructions are a little confusing, but easily remedied. It takes about 2 hours if you take your time.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default southeast

Originally Posted by JUMBO
It may have warranty, but that's not a Toyota part. It's a Southeast Toyota part.

That is the cruise that is made by Rostra, and it is the same exact kit that we offer our customers here.

All of the Toyota cruise controls are on the right side of the wheel, on the lower side.

LATER
lol You make Southeast Toyota sound like a bad disease. SET is part of Toyota, just like Gulf States Toyota, Toyota in the LA Region and the others.

Ken
Old 02-09-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned
SL Member

toyota doesn't build any of their TRD crap either.. it's all rebadged products..

who cares if it's GENUINE toyota. if toyota backs it with a warranty, it's good enough for me..

pricey tho. ..
Old 02-09-2005, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

The reason why you should care if it's GENUINE Toyota, is that Southeast Toyota accessories (alarms, cruise controls, moonroofs, leather, etc) are NOT covered by Toyota's factory warranty. It is covered by Southeast Toyota, Inc's warranty, which is a separate thing altogether.

If a customer came to TN with that installed in his car, it would not be covered here, or anywhere in this region, under warranty. Southeast would have to give us permission to work on it first, and then they would have to authorize the work. Southeast Toyota and Gulf States Toyota are different entities altogether from the other Toyota regions in the U.S. My cars come directly from Toyota to the dealership, whereas their cars go through a specific 'port' prior to making it to the dealership. In addition, Southeast does their own accessories, as well their own financing.

They've got the bulb and socket there.

So as far as warranty coverage goes, it may not be as all-encompassing as it seems.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i wish west coast states could get stuff ya'll east guys get , like sunroofs , cruise , leather , all that jazz
Old 02-09-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

toyota so stingy with their warranties..
Old 02-09-2005, 11:28 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Toyota, or not.

Originally Posted by JUMBO

LATER
Not to be argumentative, but you did drop in on my thread uninvited so I don't feel bad in responding. You stated that, the Cruise Control that Toyota sells to us here is "not a Toyota part" and is the "same exact kit" that you offer there. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but our kit is sold to us by Toyota (South East Region) and yours is not sold to you by Toyota. Ours is fully warrantied by Toyota (South East Region) and yours is not warrantied by Toyota. How does that make yours the "same exact kit"?

I see that you are the Scion Manager and I know that most Dealerships have several managers throughout the store and I just wondered what part of the store you're the manager of?

Ken
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh OH OH! Fooooddddd Fight!
You know I like a good arguement but this isn't one of them. Either way the Scions don't come with a Cruise, don't have a "Factory" installed option of it. Just like in the 80 there was very few "Factory" A/C units put in Fords, or cruise for that matter. I've looked at these and sadly I'm not impressed. A Factory cruise would be on the turn signal arm or wiper arm. Not a 3rd leg sticking out of the side of the wheel. I've seen some people on here say they were getting thier xA with Factory cruise. It would appear to me that some dealers or buyers might be selling or buying these kits and confusing Factory Installed with Dealer Installed. I'm in need of 3 cruise controls however my after market ones still appear to look nicer. Looks arn't the only thing that matters but I personally have a big issue with yet another arm sticking out of the wheel. This due to a '83 F150 I had with 'Factory cruise" on a 9 inch chrome arm sticking out with wires zip tied to the arm. Needless to say that looked ___ and has turned me off ever since. I'm still trying to find a Camry or Solara arm with cruise built in, when I find it I'll let people know. To dispell all doubt I'm sure these are quality units, or atleast they better be, my cost on a after market cruise is about $140(reatailer pricing) with choice of 3 different arms. For $200 I can get a wireless steering wheel remote for it. The wirless remove looks goofy on the Scion wheel so I scrapped that idea. Maybe I've not spent enough time in a Toyota to remember where the cruise is located from the factory but I know how I like it.

As for the ____ing match that about to begin (or might already be over) remember what you say here can reflect on those around your area. Talking trash about one dealer because your somewhere else is only going to lead to preconcived ideas from those looking to buy and are checking out thier options here. It's possible that someone that reads this board may be walking in to drop $20k on a rs-1 and hop ups they might remember something that was said about this guy at this dealer or that guy at that dealer and it could scrap a deal for someone.
I know from experiance how well the internet can be used to create quite a stir in the community, just ask the Distric Manager from AZ Motorsports. I don't know where he got my phone number but he got it and called me to put an end to a 800 post stong public flaming of thier stores.
(/ end rant) I like this 'family' that we've created, lets not f&^% it up by pitting one unkle against another.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I am the Scion Brand Manager, which means that I oversee all aspects of the Scion Brand - from sales, to parts, to customer service.

Believe me, I am not trying to start a flame war, and I mean no disrespect with my posts. All I am trying to do is make sure that the product that you are offering to the Scion Life population as a whole is represented as accurately as possible.

If someone in North Dakota purchased the kit and had it installed, and then had a problem with it, he would not be able to get warranty coverage from anyone but you. That is not terribly convenient. When Toyota Motor Sales warrants an item, they warrant the entire thing, labor and all, at ALL Toyota dealerships. After speaking with our dealership's Service Manager and Warranty/Customer Relations Manager, here's what I found out. If it is a Genuine Toyota part, and installed by us (or another Toyota dealer), than it is covered, under warranty, by ALL Toyota dealers, regardless. If the part is a Southeast Toyota specific part, and installed by a dealer in the Southeast Region (Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida), than it is ONLY covered under warranty in those states by those dealers.

Since we are so close to the GA border, we have a Southeast dealer within 35 miles of us, and we routinely HAVE to send them to that dealer due to the Southeast option that needs repair.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that these items have any less reliability than Toyota accessories. Like I said before, this is the same aftermarket cruise that I chose to offer to my Scion customers as well, so I think it is a good piece. But my customers are aware of the fact that the warranty coverage on that piece does not extend beyond the dealership, and they know that going in.

Due to our proximity to a Southeast dealer, I have to speak to my customers on numerous occasions regarding the differences in the cars and warranty. I am only concerned with the buyer getting all of the correct information regarding anything they add to their car, that's all.

EExA - I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding not f**king up the family that we have here. These forums have been wonderful in helping all of us come together about these cars, and I want it to continue like this.

LATER, all.