Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   Bigger rims and tires slow you down or affect MPH? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/bigger-rims-tires-slow-you-down-affect-mph-23480/)

DarthXB 04-22-2005 08:08 PM

Bigger rims and tires slow you down or affect MPH?

Anyone who has upgraded to larger rims and tires...did your MPG change at all or did it change the way your car accelerates?

the_ill_switch 04-22-2005 08:14 PM

If they are heavier, they will certainly slow you down, drop your mpg, and could hurt handling as well.

If they are a different overall diameter, they'll affect your speedo's accuracy too.

bB2NER 04-23-2005 05:27 AM

Not enough difference to really affect either. Only thing it will do is give you better handleing through corners (more grip)
As long as you stay with the same overall height of the tire the only difference you might see is a harsher ride over bumps and you will have to be more carefull about looking for potholes and such.
I weighed my stock steel wheel assm. and it was only a pound lighter than my 17 inch alloys. So 18 and 19 inchers may be a little bit heavier. No biggie :tap:

OMAC 04-23-2005 05:47 AM

Check this link out. It is a calculator that will give you all kinds of good data when comparing 2 different tire and wheel combinations.

Just concern yourself with the top-most block of numbers. Left side is Stock, or what you have now, and right side is what you are thinking of changing to.

185 60R 15 should be entered as

Everything else is calculated from those three numbers. Enjoy!

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

Shannon 04-23-2005 05:59 AM

a larger OD will effect everything. i have 225/35/19's and they accelerate slower, more effort to stop, heavier steering at slow speeds and if the road is uneven they follow grooves or irregularities. and yes worse mileage. But... they look good.
shannon

yesti 04-23-2005 06:17 AM

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~tcroy...ineinertia.htm

xBino 04-23-2005 08:42 AM

:doh:

ouch... my head hurts

bBTOY 04-23-2005 11:32 AM

NOW Ive got some Inertia going on in My Head ! :eyes:

yesti 04-23-2005 11:04 PM

LMAO, bottom line: add weight to the wheels = handle/look better. but remember EVERYTHING is a tradeoff.

Texodore 04-24-2005 03:35 AM

I switched from stock steelies to 15" Rota Slipstreams (12 lbs per wheel) and the difference was VASTLY noticable. It accelerates and responds much quicker, RPM is 5-10% lower (3000 RPM at 70, I think it was at 3000RPM at a lower speed before the switch). I can say from experience it does affect performance.

bBTOY 04-24-2005 10:24 AM

On my Stocks I can do 80MPH @ 3000RPM :clap:

yesti 04-24-2005 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Texodore
I switched from stock steelies to 15" Rota Slipstreams (12 lbs per wheel) and the difference was VASTLY noticable. It accelerates and responds much quicker...

rule of thumb i heard was for every 1 lb taken off the wheels it is "equivalent" to taking ~15 lbs off the vehicle. so yeah, it is a vast improvement. it also allows your suspension to work a lot better too, probably the reason for your perceived increase in response?

Origin_X 04-24-2005 09:32 PM

How does it affect the MPH when you have the larger rims? My XB went 60 miles in an hour and we were going at 70MPH, does that make sense?

UnFocused 04-24-2005 11:02 PM

In know my 18" TRD wheels and Falken tire combo is lighter (if no the same weight) of my stock steelies.

Key word STEEL!

TRD 18"s are aluminum!

yesti 04-30-2005 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by UnFocused
In know my 18" TRD wheels and Falken tire combo is lighter (if no the same weight) of my stock steelies.

Key word STEEL!

TRD 18"s are aluminum!

the tC rims are aluminum too, but since they are cast versus milled they are quite heavy.

squareone 04-30-2005 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Texodore
I switched from stock steelies to 15" Rota Slipstreams (12 lbs per wheel) and the difference was VASTLY noticable. It accelerates and responds much quicker, RPM is 5-10% lower (3000 RPM at 70, I think it was at 3000RPM at a lower speed before the switch). I can say from experience it does affect performance.

Im rockin 16" rota slipstreams and love the improvement over my previous 17" wheels. Rotas are kick ___ wheels, Im glad I made the switch.

TheScionicMan 04-30-2005 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by yesti
LMAO, bottom line: add weight to the wheels = handle/look better. but remember EVERYTHING is a tradeoff.

Where do you get the handle better with heavier wheels? This is what I got:

Of course, the reduction in unsprung mass is good and I'm not covering
handling or braking issues here today. Naturally in that frame of reference, a light
wheel has additional advantages.

bB2NER 04-30-2005 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by Origin_X
How does it affect the MPH when you have the larger rims? My XB went 60 miles in an hour and we were going at 70MPH, does that make sense?

The larger wheel will have nothing to do with your speedo reading unless the overall height of your new tires do not match what came on it from the factory. For example my 205/40/17's have the same overall height as the stock 185/60/15's even though the rim is 2 inches larger diameter.

SciFly 04-30-2005 07:01 PM

because the odometer/speedo is electronic these days, can't the wheel size be punched into the car's computer to allow people to run off-standard height tires to retain speedo accuracy?

Even a ten buck cycle speedo allows this setting-up.

yesti 05-02-2005 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by TheScionicMan

Originally Posted by yesti

Where do you get the handle better with heavier wheels? This is what I got:

Of course, the reduction in unsprung mass is good and I'm not covering
handling or braking issues here today. Naturally in that frame of reference, a light
wheel has additional advantages.

well okay, maybe the cornering limit is raised by the wider, stickier, more stiff sidewalled tire. but it may not be worth the tradeoff. braking same thing. stickier tires, better braking, added weight, maybe offsets it. too much generalizing sorry.