Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Broken Rear Hatch Handle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by deadfishy12
Has anyone participated in the class action suit against Scion pertaining to this...
There is no suit. The law firm is trying to determine if there are enough people to justify a suit.

If the handle becomes loose, yanking on the play will break off the little bolts that hold it. My handle became loose and would have broken if I continued to pull on it. But I took the inside panel off the hatch and tightened up the handle. That was a few years ago and it's been strong ever since.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea you got to take a clip popper and pop the clips off of the inside hatch access cover. right there you willsee the bolts. tighten them up and your good to go. i am due to tighten mine again. Its prob coming loose from the 2 12''s cause i rarely opened it over the last 6 years.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:55 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by myselfdotcom
I think i pulled it too hard, some plastic broke and it's loose. How I can have it fix or replace?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scion-...95767133769843

Please LIKE this Facebook PAGE which addresses this issue and gives info on class action suit.

There are hundreds of complaints with the same problems....
Old 06-07-2014, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member

Default Broken latch defies all adhesives!

I have tried them all! Gorilla, spray adhesives, welders glue, cement glues, krazies... you name it, I've tried them. Duct tape. Only thing that wprks. PS ... I tried pusing the button release to guide it open when I first bought mine in 2005. No go. Didnt work. Mine also broke WHEN I SHUT MY DRIVERS FRONT DOOR! Couldnt believe it. Such a nightmare.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:34 PM
SL Member

Default Quick fix for broken rear hatch garnish

UPDATE:
My original "fix" didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. I ended up getting a pre-painted garnish from Dare2BDifferent.

https://d2bdmotorwerks.com/i-6506474...iABEgJIW_D_BwE

It's a good product and easy to replace.

- Pop out the bottom rivets and the one center rivet from the hatch interior panel. No need to unplug harness for electricals.
- Remove bolts holding old garnish and then disconnect all pieces attached to the old garnish.
- There is no body to garnish gasket included so I used a piece of window screen spline and glued it to the garnish using 3M spray adhesive.
- I opted to not use the plastic clip on the left side of the garnish but instead used the old square headed bolt and nut in that location. It's now very solid with two square headed bolts in place.
- The rubber washers used for thru holes were in bad shape so I used a piece of rubber roofing and made my own rubber washers. An old inner tube would also work well.
- I would recommend using a ratcheting box end wrench to remove and reinstall the nuts versus a socket and ratchet.....ratcheting wrench is much easier.

Product was packaged well and shipment was quick. I'm very satisfied with my D2BD experience.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

===================================================

I fixed mine yesterday, In my case it wasn't completely separated from the hatch but the center plastic clips were broken.

It was easy to do. I used RTV gasket sealant. I've used it in the past for odd things like this and it's pretty tough stuff.

Remove the plate lights.
Shim the garnish to make room for the sealant and slather it on the clips.
Remove the shims.
Prop the hatch open with a long rake.
Place a small piece of plywood on the garnish and then place a 20lb propane tank for weight....about 30 pounds total.
Leave it like that for few hours and be careful using it for a day or so.

I do think it's a flimsy design but I had some brain gas one day and tried to pull on it when I thought it was released....my bad.

Good luck,
Jay in MA

Last edited by TRCar54; 02-25-2020 at 02:45 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 09-03-2019, 07:35 PM
SL Member

Cool! So after two latches breaking and 131,000 miles on my 2005 xB this is how I should've been opening it? (too bad my manual and jack were stolen or I'd be looking this up to confirm) I did try to open the hatch by just pressing the release button without pulling up on the "garnish" (aka plastic light & latch cover), but nothing happens. Now it's broken again and has been taped back together because until today I hadn't found a cheaper way to fix it. Will look up scionpros.com to see if the metal replacement unit is still available, and thanks to Youtube, I'll be installing it myself. (no thanks, Stevinson Toyota, for offering to do so for $200 plus)
Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by LiseNeer
Cool! So after two latches breaking and 131,000 miles on my 2005 xB this is how I should've been opening it? (too bad my manual and jack were stolen or I'd be looking this up to confirm) I did try to open the hatch by just pressing the release button without pulling up on the "garnish" (aka plastic light & latch cover), but nothing happens. Now it's broken again and has been taped back together because until today I hadn't found a cheaper way to fix it. Will look up scionpros.com to see if the metal replacement unit is still available, and thanks to Youtube, I'll be installing it myself. (no thanks, Stevinson Toyota, for offering to do so for $200 plus)
I Warn about this Poor Engineered "Garnish" 10 years ago on this Site. And uneducated peeps laugh at me, blaming
I must be using too much force and their Hatch Handle never Broke. I am a Engineer and they did not believe me.

My '06 xB handle broke twice. My Scion Dealership's Parts wanted $95 for the part and $110 labor charge to Install it.
I installed it myself by removing the Inside Rear Hatch Cover. Not difficult at all. This was Before YouTube.

Now there are Superior Replacements w/ Metal Reinforcement:

Liftgate Tailgate Handle Garnish UPGRADED Rear for 04-06 Scion xB SMOOTH BLACK

MR LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-03-2021 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Agreed, the metal reinforced ones should be good - did it recently for the lads xB. December 2018.
Think it was bought via Amazon.and it came in the correct color, so no painting. Just search this on the amazon site "scion xb rear hatch handle"
I should compile and post that video
I recommend getting a bunch of the plastic rivets for the internal door cover as they will snap off rather than pull out of the door.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:02 AM
SL Member

Thank you!
Old 09-27-2019, 12:58 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by frogbox
Been opening my hatch the same way since I got her , it tells you how in the owners manual , guess your opinion is wrong , and you can't /won't /haven't read the book.

Oh well. Maybe your opinion is why your on an ignore list huh?
My owner's manual was stolen. What does it say about lifting the hatch that doesn't lift automatically? I have a 2005 xB. It is now 2019. The car is so old I'm not about to go replacing various parts to make it do what it's never done (my late husband bought it used in '09 and the hatch has never self-lifted).
Old 09-27-2019, 01:02 AM
SL Member

"I recommend getting a bunch of the plastic rivets for the internal door cover as they will snap off rather than pull out of the door.

Thanks Rich, where does one purchase these plastic rivets to replace the broken ones when you get the liner off?
I'm in a really nice jam: the hatch handle ripped all the way off (and so did the wiring) so now I cannot even press the button to unlatch it. Will have to tear apart the inside of the door, with a Catrike recumbent in my way, to get the dang hatch to even open. Ugh
Old 10-06-2019, 08:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can get the switch to open the latch (reconnecting the wires???), then you can push the hatch from the inside. May need 2 people
None of them lift automatically that I'm aware of... Do you mean that the 2 lifting arms don't lift the hatch anymore?? That happens with age and I don't know a way to re-pressurize them, so usually you just have to replace them. Here's an example for around $20 each. Apparently they are left & right handed. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...t+support,1404

I got the plastic rivets from amazon, not sure of the size, I need to check, but you can always put the blunt end of a drill bit in the hole and use that as a guide.
Sometimes you can get them from generic auto stores, but if they are 7mm - good luck