Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   CAMPING + BUGS + MUD + TREE SAP = My XB RIght now :( (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/camping-bugs-mud-tree-sap-%3D-my-xb-right-now-68300/)

worldapart2000 07-30-2006 02:35 AM

CAMPING + BUGS + MUD + TREE SAP = My XB RIght now :(

Seriously. I guess the honeymoon is over. I noticed when I got home that I had some sap on the hood. Does anyone know the best way to get that off. Generally the XB was great on the camping trip. It was amazing the amount of bugs I cleaned off the front of my windshield.

MJVsTC 07-30-2006 02:47 AM

One time I parked under a tree at school and I got sap all over my tC. I just washed it really good and it all came off, but I didn't give enough time to harden. Lesson learned.

rallying_the_scion 07-30-2006 02:59 AM

go to a car wash with the high pressure washers, those work wonders, thats the only way i clean my car, i had mud caked on so bad, the wheels were was off balance, and huge mound fell off while cleaning it, just dont get to close, or youll blow the paint off the plastic parts, i accidently did that.

ScionChe 07-30-2006 03:27 AM

if it's already set, you can use the clay bar to remove the dried-on sap.

OakToddler 07-30-2006 04:03 AM

vinegar

also works great on waterspots

OldYeller 07-30-2006 07:18 AM

Stoners and Meguires both have tar and sap removers available--give them a shot.

socalscion 07-30-2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ScionChe
if it's already set, you can use the clay bar to remove the dried-on sap.

clay works pretty good, takes alot of work, but ur car becomes silkly smooth

peterbilt 07-30-2006 09:09 PM

any good name brand tar/ sap remover that's clear coat safe is fine.

clay bar is another safe way to rid those hard spots.

please, don't use a high pressure washer. these are terrible on finishes, and if you get too close to the wrong surface or part you could cause damage.

the best way to prevent your finish from any future problems w/ tree sap, tar, bird crap, soda, spit, overspray, bug guts, etc... is a good coat of wax. wax is for the protection of the finish after you wash, clay and polish.

pooder 07-30-2006 11:47 PM

Re: CAMPING + BUGS + MUD + TREE SAP = My XB RIght now :(

Originally Posted by worldapart2000
I noticed when I got home that I had some sap on the hood. Does anyone know the best way to get that off. .

GoJo hand cleaner. No, not the kind with punice init, but the regular kind without pumice. The only downside is that it also removes wax; BUT for removing about anything and being gentle about it, GoJo hand cleaner WORKS. Just wax the area you've used the GoJo on and you're good to go...... (You prolly wanted to wax your xB all over anyways ;^)

rallying_the_scion 07-31-2006 12:56 AM

Ya, the pressure washer is bad, but if you saw the paint, after Hurricanr Rita, well, i got scratches everywhere from trying to get home, and getting to the other places i needed to be.

I usually use Meguires befroe the hurricane, i just rubbed it on over the areas with bugs and sap, i had tar, let it sit, and it came off, good luck

worldapart2000 07-31-2006 02:33 AM

Thanks Guys. I got the sap off my car after a second wash. I also got some stuff from the store in case it happens again

Jbad 07-31-2006 03:06 AM

WD40. Seriously. :)

raWr215 09-18-2006 01:02 PM

what can't wd40 do? LOL

Madzozs 09-18-2006 02:13 PM

The only thing it can't do is provide nourishment for your body.