Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Can you request that your car is totaled?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Can you request that your car is totaled?

Some of you may have seen the pix I posted of my yellow box from the accident last week. They said it wasn't totaled, but my boss said I should request that it IS totaled because I'll probably run into problems down the line since the front part was hit so hard. He used to be a mechanic and he said he wouldn't even drive that car again and he would total it. He said to refuse fixing it and say I want it totaled. Is that possible?

If you are able to, does insurance give you the same amount that they would if they totaled it on their terms?

Thanks
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From my experience, I thought I totaled my Element, had about $11K in damage(front end collision) didn't owe much more than the damage I did, but at least in Cali they seem to not want to total the car. I did have GAP coverage but I dont think that had anything to do with it.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BayAreaScion
From my experience, I thought I totaled my Element, had about $11K in damage(front end collision) didn't owe much more than the damage I did, but at least in Cali they seem to not want to total the car. I did have GAP coverage but I dont think that had anything to do with it.
So what did you do? When you eventually traded it in (if you did) did you get significantly less since it was in an accident?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

It's gonna depend on the insurance company, and how much the damage is into relation to it's value. When i rolled my jeep, Allstate cut the check to fix it ($17,000) , we found a little more damage and contacted them, they said they'd send another check for the additional amount, But after talking with them mechanic, and thinking it over, i told them i wanted it totalled. They said Ok and paid it off ($26,000). Just take a hard stand, tell them your not going to feel safe in it. Good luck!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I saw the pics of your car. From the pics it looks to me like it would be a borderline for total loss. The insurance company is only required to retore the car to its preloss condition or pay the retail value of the car whichever is less. This does not mean that if it you request it that won't say OK, it just means that by law they do not have to total it unless you can show that the repairs are of a greater cost than the cars value. So if you really feel that it is a goner then by all means ask them. You need to ask them for a diminished value payment as well. A car hit that hard will have a lesser value after it is repaired than before the accident, you are entitled to payment for this loss in value in addition to the cost of the repairs. Be advised that asking for a diminished value settlement if the car is nearly totaled could cause it to be totaled. Remember the Ins Co. only has to pay to fix the car to its preloss condition or pay its retail value to you (they keep the car when they do this) whichever is cheaper. The cost of diminished value is added to the repair cost and if that cost exceeds the value of the car they will then total. You do not get diminished value payment on a car that has been totaled and you will no longer own.

Has a truely thorough estimate been written? The car must be dissassembled for a thorough estimate to be made with the amount of damage your car has. Is the repair shop a good one, or is it one the insurance company directed you too. Get a second opinion if necessary. Most areas have independent insurance appraisers that can estimate the damage as well as the preloss value of your car (they will charge a fee for their service), and they may even be able to provide a diminished vlaue calculation as well.

It was hard to tell from the angles and lack of detail in your pics how bad the damage really is. It might really be a repairable car that will be prefectly fine after a good repair. On the other hand it might damaged such that any repair even a best possible repair, could result in a car that is not quite right resulting in multiple headaches, that is why I reccommend a second opinion from a top notch shop or estimator if you have any question of the validity of the existing "repair" estimate. Good luck to you, accidents suck:/
Old 04-12-2008, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If the car is claimed as totaled, it won't be yours anymore. My car had about $7200 worth of damage and I owed $7500 on it. If I fixed it, the car would have only been worth about $4000-5000, so I opted to just pay it off and then the car was mine. Basically the same process as totaling it, but I ended being the owner, not some junkyard.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Have you got an estimate on repairs? You are due replacement value if they total--not trade in value. Gather some listings from cars.com. The last I looked the cheapest rs2 was 7500 for a salvage unit. Everything else was about 12k Plus for total stock. If you get repaired make sure there is an iron clad guarantee on the repair work. Good luck!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You should have them do a full tear down on the car to find out how much the damages truly are. Make sure they write a tight estimate and that the vehicle is not structurally unsound to repair.

It is correct that most of the time the insurance company will either pay to fix it or total it which ever one is less. If they repair it asking for diminished value may or may not work. You will need to check your policy and see if it is excluded.

If the vehicle is a borderline total and you do not wish to repair but the your insurance company is insisting then you need to make sure that your insurance company will back the repairs for as long as you own it. If they refuse to give you a guarantee advise them that you may have to go to the department of insurance regarding the matter. The last thing an insurance company wants is to deal with a violation.

Another way around it if you dont want the car is to see if you can sell the vehicle on your own and then have them cash you out on the estimate. Make sure and have a full tear down estimate written so you can collect as much as possible.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I don't understand why you are believing others when they tell you it won't be right. If it is repaired properly you should not be able to tell anything after it's fixed.
I told you it did not look all that bad. You should be happy that they did not total it out. Unless you did not take good care of it?
If it were mine I could end up making money for mods and get it fixed right. Now would be the perfect time to do a body kit instead of using stock parts. You probably won't listen tho.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

[quote="bB2NER"]I don't understand why you are believing others when they tell you it won't be right. If it is repaired properly you should not be able to tell anything after it's fixed.

KEYWORD: "IF"
Old 04-12-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Can you request that your car is totaled?

Originally Posted by TSXB
Some of you may have seen the pix I posted of my yellow box from the accident last week. They said it wasn't totaled, but my boss said I should request that it IS totaled because I'll probably run into problems down the line since the front part was hit so hard. He used to be a mechanic and he said he wouldn't even drive that car again and he would total it. He said to refuse fixing it and say I want it totaled. Is that possible?

If you are able to, does insurance give you the same amount that they would if they totaled it on their terms?

Thanks
Your boss sounds like a complete MORON Idiot. Please stop listening to people that do not know what they are talking about.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gotta agree
Old 04-12-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I don't think she understands that the insurance company will cut her a check for the amount of the repairs. Then she can have anyone she wants do the actual portions of work she wants. This would be a great project to fix most of it yourself with aftermarket parts and still end up making money from the deal.
I pray if my xB ever gets wrecked that it is only that bad. Looks like it needs headlight, bumpercover and lower skirt, fender and door. Maybe a few other small things but that should be it.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I don't think she understands that the insurance company will cut her a check for the amount of the repairs. Then she can have anyone she wants do the actual portions of work she wants. This would be a great project to fix most of it yourself with aftermarket parts and still end up making money from the deal.
I pray if my xB ever gets wrecked that it is only that bad. Looks like it needs headlight, bumpercover and lower skirt, fender and door. Maybe a few other small things but that should be it.
From the photos it looked to me like it may have structural and suspension damage as well. It is hard to tell from the photo angles and lack of detailed shots. If it only needs bolt on external parts there is very little need for concern about a repair unless it is fixed by a total stooge. If it has structural damage and or suspension damage then the repair will need a better technicain to be sure it is done correctly.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by bB2NER
If the title is not clear, she will not get the check. It will go to the repair shop or the bank with the lein. That is how it was done when i smacked a stupid doe.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yes but only if it's totaled out. Otherwise she is free to get it repaired on her own anywhere or how she chooses. Unless she is way behind on the payments.
IDK this is getting too weird for me anyways. I think it's weird that someone would want their car to be totaled.
I'm outta here.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You cant force them to total it. Just remember that YOU get to choose the shop that does the bodywork. Shop around and use only the best one you can find.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bottom line is... Yes, you can ASK the the insurance company to total it out, but you'll have to plead your case. They will always want to do what costs them less money.

My girl had a Civic worth $13k that suffered $10k in damages, and they wanted to repair it. She refused, and just kept calling Allstate pleading her case that the car would be worthless after all of the repairs. Finally they cut her a check for the $13k.

If YOU don't feel your car will be safe, or run as smoothly as the day you bought, you have the right to explain that to the insurance company and hope they listen.

-THE DON