Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Clutch Pedal Problem - Clutch Spring/Master & Slave Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:56 PM

Default Clutch Pedal Problem - Clutch Spring/Master & Slave Cylinder?

Hi everyone,
I have 128k on my 06 xB, bought it used with low millage (1k I think). Every now and then I come across this forum when trying to figure out how to fix things, so I decided to sign up last night. Anyway....

Here's the problem:
I got into my car and put my foot on the clutch pedal to put it into neutral and started my car. When I put my foot on the clutch pedal I heard a click or a clank. It reminded me of when my clutch cable broke on my 68 VW Bug, only difference is the pedal didn't slam to the floor. I didn't notice any difference in pedal pressure so I put it in reverse. When I tried to put it in reverse there was some resistance, like the clutch wasn't fully disengaged. It went into gear without to much of a fight but when I started to take my foot off the pedal to engage the clutch it wanted to engage right away. There doesn't seem to be a problem putting it into 1st gear (from a stop of coarse) or any other gear once I'm moving. It just seems like the clutch is not fully disengaging. I read around the forums and people mentioned adding an extender rod, but everything was fine until a couple days ago. I know my box is hydraulic, could this be an issue with the master or slave cylinder? I popped the hood and looked at the master for leaks and checked the reservoir, everything seems fine. I wasn't sure where to find the slave cylinder though..... where is that thing? My step dad thinks the noise I heard was a spring breaking somewhere near the clutch, which means I need a new clutch. I'm sure I'm due for a new clutch with that many miles, any other ideas of what it could be?

Thanks,
Jon Roach