Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Countdown (Or Up) In Earnest Begins

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
5 Year Member

Are you using regular or synthetic motor oil, and what viscosity? Good to hear that these aren't maintenance queens!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Primarily Walmart's synthetic brand. 5w30 and/or 10w40. Once in a while 2w20. Depending what they have "on sale" I might put in a blend.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A little late posting this one - from Friday.............................298
Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by CMJAnew
A little late posting this one - from Friday.............................298

catch a picture of your odometer on or shortly after you turn 3 please
Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In the wee hours of this morn (not sure when -- I was asleep in the passenger seat) !!!!!!! 299,000.
To usher in 300 I put new tires and fresh oil in er.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Name:  misc003.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  misc007.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  17.5 KB
Old 07-11-2011, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

You've got like the 2nd highest mileage I've seen on an xB. Congrats on the milestone!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I recall a thread quite some time ago. That car and driver was far ahead of this one. Wonder what the mileage is on that one now!
Old 07-11-2011, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's up with the vsc light? or are you getting the three amigos? great accomplishment though! if i have the minimal problems you have then i'll definitely be taking this thing to 300k! i do on average 36k miles a year, so it should take me around 6 years to get there!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep - the whole gang of em.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yep - the whole gang of em.
lol. i haven't gotten them yet in my xb, but they were always the blunder of toyotas. i ran my corolla with them on from 07 to the week before i sold it back in march. i had an old 83 mini truck with the light on too from the time i bought it until the time i sold it. had to cheat emissions though! the lights don't mean much to me.

i'll be happy to get to 200k with minimal problems.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

good job and thx for the pictures

do you intend to ignore or fix the warning lights?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i myself am curious what codes you got? not being judgmental i just wanna know since i have the same car! or well mine's an 04, but you know what i mean! i've never rushed to fix my errors with those lights, but i've never really had any problems with the vehicles breaking down. every once in a while i get one on my f-350, but they are on, and off. you have to go to ford to scan them so i hear, and honestly i don't have a lot of money laying around to fix something potentially $1500-$2000 bucks. it's like you can't walk into a mechanic without expecting to pay $1500 bucks for something anymore, so i try to do as much of the work as i can. as long as you pass your emissions or find a way to. most states won't pass you with the light on which sucks.

i also wanna stress that i don't wanna start a ''if that light is on it NEEDS to be fixed because it can blow your motor, or lead to bigger problems'' argument. didn't mean to do that, and i'm not advocating to anyone not to fix it. i've just had good luck when i ignored them.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The lights have been on for thousands of miles. I may have the codes read sooner or later. Not highly motivated at this point.

That said, the car did stall last week at an intersection. Did not want to restart until I stepped on the accelorator while turning the ignition. Fired right up and hasn't given me an issue since.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The lights have been on for thousands of miles. I may have the codes read sooner or later. Not highly motivated at this point.

That said, the car did stall last week at an intersection. Did not want to restart until I stepped on the accelorator while turning the ignition. Fired right up and hasn't given me an issue since.
this happened to me with my 99 corolla i had before the box. i went to some mechanic that some guy i did work for recommended me for my alternator i think it was. he did a good job, but took it upon himself to plug in his code reader when he was i guess driving the car onto the lift, and saw the check engine light. he came back telling me what it was, and i think it was the o2 sensor, and he said it would be $800 bucks. i told him no thanks, because money is tight i'm just giving him $600 for the alternator i really don't have another $800 for bs. he tried to talk me into doing it, and how i wouldn't make it more than 50 miles back before it needed to be towed back. i told him it's been on a few thousand, and told him no thanks can i get to my car now? almost had to get loud with him.

that was august or september of 07, and the car had 130k+ miles. i finally fixed it in march of 2011 at 186k miles. just so a potential buyer wouldn't be scared away. once it was already on, and my car was acting funny. i scanned it with a friends scanner, and it came up with the o2 as well as the maf sensor. i replaced the maf sensor, because it was easy, and only took me $130 bucks for the part, and ten minutes of mine, and my best friends time. the car was also running very weird, and just didn't feel right so i fixed that. with the o2 you would never even know it was on if the light bulb had died.

towards the end back in november 2010 it wouldn't start one morning. did everything i could, but just couldn't get it running. used a scanner, and got a crankshaft position code. i don't know if that would have caused a check engine light, but it did give me a code from the reader. replaced that one day with the help of my best friend, and everything was good.

as long as you don't have emissions testing, because they won't pass if the light is on. oh, and yes i cheated emissions for years with the corolla. uh oh hope an epa agent isn't around here!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No emissions testing in my part of the state................YET! Just across the border though.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No emissions testing in my part of the state................YET! Just across the border though.
thats awesome! now i'm not saying this to knock your car, because it seems like a great xb, and a great accomplishment, but i remember another poster recently didn't wanna put a lot of money into his car, and his xb had just turned 200k. he just got to 200k in his xb, and they wanted $2500 bucks to fix some bs. he said he couldn't justify that, because his car was only worth $3k grand! or maybe it was $4k grand? regardless his point was he didn't wanna dump money into a high mileage car like that. now your ride with 300k is probably worth not as much as a low mileage ride, and i'm not knocking your xb just saying! so i can understand not wanting to dump a bunch of money into it! i wouldn't spend $1200 bucks just to turn the light off or even more. i don't even have $1200 bucks in the bank or on me. well that's probably not accurate, because i do for my bills! i probably only have a few hundred leftover to burn, so a repair of that kind if i couldn't do myself i would need to use the credit card, and i've got enough of a balance as it is! if it aint the motor, transmission, or the entire front end sorry, but i aint gonna spend $1200 on crap. maybe i'll learn if i end up on the side of the road.

not saying ride it till it blows just stating my way. also if it's been on for thousands of miles, and you just now stalled it could be related, and it could not. i've stalled in vehicles with well under 100k miles, well under 50k miles before, and didn't think anything of it. so stalling at 300k is nothing. it's just taking a break to catch it's breath. so what's on the agenda next? 325k miles by early next year?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Had a friend read and reset the codes (evap emissions and/or purge).
I'll drive it about 1000 mile per week and take it a day at a time. Just put those tires on it, so would like to at least wear them out.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks like Camoritaville may be on her last legs. Remember the ole 'fill the oil and check the gas' line! Well, that's what I'm doing except with antifreeze. It was a great run, and the least expensive vehicle I've ever owned over the life of it.
I looked up the 'book' value - unbelievably its still worth nearly $2,000 in poor condition.

I'm going to run her today -- hopefully to the tune of about 150 miles -- we'll see.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

that sounds weird. so no leaks i guess. maybe the coolant is stuck somewhere else or is draining somewhere else? is it running fine? make sure it didn't escape into your engine oil.

Quick Reply: Countdown (Or Up) In Earnest Begins