Electrical Question (any toyota/scion tech's?) Headlight/DRL

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Electrical Question (any toyota/scion tech's?) Headlight/DRL

Hey all,

I hope I can get help quickly...

I just need to get this last wire of my DRL spliced in... but I cant figure it out because the directions are junnk, and I dont have a XB manual/diagram.

I need to connect the White wire of the DRL modual... to the Common of the head lights.

I Just need some one to tell me where to find the wire that I need to splice into for the DRL to connect to the headlights in the correct spot (Common)

Lemmy know what yall think,
Thanks,
Old 09-04-2006, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Your term "common" makes me think you want a ground, but do you want it switched automatically with the low/high beam, or just manually switched by you at any time?
Try the search (DRL with a catagory of xB). This may be helpful.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sea...p?mode=results If not, I do have the Scion electrical schematics, so if I can be of further help, just PM me.
Good luck!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think we need more details on your DRL module. Scion Headlights (lo and hi beams) have common 12V and the ground is switched.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The DRL system I have has me do this.

Modual:
RED w/10A inline fuse go's to the bat
BLACK to chasis ground
GREEN to a trigger/voltage

And then the one I am stuck on is the WHITE wire of the unit... that wants me to connect to the headlight common. I belive the WHITE is a live wire that will give power to the Headlights for DRL. But I have spliced it into the High beem , and Low beam and it did nothing.... I gave the other wire a shot and it blew my 10A fuse.. so that means it was a ground wire.

I am really stuck and its bothering me as I have wired many fog light kits before on cars, I have installed a few Apexi SAFC's and Apexi RSM's etc... I never have problems with wires and diagrams etc.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

IMHO, the problem is that you are not used to the switched individual ground wires for the headlights. The fused red should be your power for your DRL's. Where did you connnect the Green wire, and does it have its own switch? When are you wanting the DRL's to be "ON".
Old 09-04-2006, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by koalaty2
IMHO, the problem is that you are not used to the switched individual ground wires for the headlights. The fused red should be your power for your DRL's. Where did you connnect the Green wire, and does it have its own switch? When are you wanting the DRL's to be "ON".
In order for me to pass inspection. The DRL's should come on automaticaly once the car is started. I know I can just make my own relays etc for this... but as its a Government inspection this DRL compliance modification has to be done with the proper parts or they will fail the vehicle and im screwd.

The GREEN wire in the instructions is supposed to be wrapped around a spark plug wire, and or given a voltage to tell it to switch the DRL relay over inside the modual. As you know we dont have spark plug wires so I was stuck finding power for the GREEN wire that would come on when the vehicle is started. TO test the system/install the insrutctions say to touch the GReen wire on the (+) bat terminal to trigger the modual. ( I did this for testing)

In essance with this Modual and how they are telling me to install it. I have everything installed and working correct but I am giving Power (+) to a headlight system that is not grounded so ... no power / no light.

what a mess... I have inspection booked tomorrow eavning. and its BIG fines if I fail this.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Since the green is to sense that the engine is running, and Red is your Hot to the DRL, and Black is the ground, I can't imagine what they want you to do with the white wire. You said you tried "grounding" it, and blew the fuse, so obviously that is not it. You connected the white to "hot" and nothing either. I really don't know what to suggest from here. Sorry. Hope something new to try comes to you.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suspect that your DRL module is designed for common ground headlights. Scion xB is my first car which doesn't follow that convention (it has common 12V headlights). If that's the case, your DRL module is not compatible with this car. Unless you use the white wire to power up an external relay which will apply ground to the headlights.

As far as the green wire goes, does it need a pulsing source of voltage (like from the ignition coil/spark plug) or will a steady 12V work too?

If it needs pulses, then IIRC, there is a TACHometer output available on the OBD II connector. If it will work with steady 12 V, then any ignition switched power wire (liek cigarette lighter) will also work.

What country are you in?
Old 09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am in Canada.

I have hooked up another Relay that triggers from the DRL modual and connects ground to the headlights.... it seems to work... but the relay is buzzing like a SOB. ..I dont have time for it anymore as I should be at work so Ill figure things out later
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well ..I left the setup as it was in order to pass the inspection...

I passed and have now removed everything and patched up any splices nice and neat........ nothing looks disturbed.. and that makes me happy... I was ready to launch the DRL modual into the next yard.... but figured I should try and return it.

This finishes my DRL blitz for now........ may others Learn from it..... heheh
Old 09-06-2006, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Glad you passed. I was reading in the California code that DRL's can only be on when no headlights are on. I guess DRL's are another set of lights I can put on my xB. High/Low, Fog, Driving, and add DRL's. That should pretty well cover it all, until I go off road with the box.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

On most cars, DRL actuallly use the existing hi-beam bulbs except that they run them at half brightness. This can be done several ways. One is to hook up both bulbs in series, another is to insert a resistor in series with each bulb.

I also think that I know why TRDTerror's relay is buzzing. Another way to run the hi-beams at reduced brightness is to use PWM (pulse width modulated) power. That takes 12V and chops it up into small pulses. Lighrtbulb will be as bright as the average voltage derived from the pulses. I suspect that is how that DRL circuit works and that is why the relay is buzzing (relays have quicker response than a bulb so they actually see the pulses).

TRDTerror, you might want to look for a DRL circuit which would work on common 12V headlight circuit. You might also want to talk to Toyota/Scion in Canada to see how they deal with the required DRLs on those cars.