Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Failed smog check

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Angry Failed smog check

I have a 2005 xB and it just failed the smog test because of a modified air intake system. The existing part is an Advanced Engine Management part PTS260-52040 which, in California, is only approved for the 2004 xB. I’ve read on this forum that dealers installed the AEM air intake for 2005 xB which was not an approved aftermarket accessory.

So … wondered if anyone else here has had the same problem and has a good solution. Below are the steps recommended for me to take. I’m hoping someone here can advise me if this has worked for them.

First step: My mechanic is calling AEM (or the company that bought it) to see if the parts number has changed. Hopefully, if it has, the new part number is approved in the California smog regulations. (Does anyone know where there’s a list of CARB-approved air intake systems for the 2005 xB?)

Second: Take it back to the dealership for them to fix it at no cost to me. I’ve been told that I’ll probably need to push up the management line before they might agree to take care of it.

Third: I want to make sure I can renew my registration which is due 3/26. So the other thing I need to know is if a certified smog check and repair shop can get reimbursed for installing the right part. This is assuming I can’t get the powers that be to agree to replace it before my registration is due.

I’ve been told that I can get the right part number, then go online to price it, or try to track down a used, approved one.

Fourth: If the dealership rolls over up front, they could eat the price of the part and installation. I’ve also been told I may need to go to Consumer Affairs (the California equivalent) to push for satisfaction. WHAT A PAIN!

Guess I’ll need to weight the price of getting it fixed with the energy and stress it takes to see all this through. UNLESS someone here has a better suggestion. Any thoughts? (I’m not a mechanic so will pay to have it fixed.)
Old 02-27-2015, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4th choice reinstall OE air box for inspection each time then put back your air intake after you pass.
A lot of Cali gen1's do that since there is very few CARB approved intakes.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:08 AM

Default Getting smoked

Sounds like a great answer, sdsnybny. Unfortunately, I don't have the original OE air box. Looks like it would cost me about $500 to get one. It's not an option for me to switch the parts back and forth even if I spent the $500. I can't do it.

The latest in my saga: My regular mechanic has spoken to the manufacturer who says that, after seeing my documentation, they can send a new parts sticker that will meet the smog check requirements. This isn't for certain yet.

Several of the mechanics I've spoken to say this isn't an unusual situation -- they often have to get a new parts sticker. Has that been the experience here?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hope its an easy fix for you. Lots of box owners have the stock airbox sitting gathering dust or in some locations they save it for just this instance. Wouldn't take more than 30-60min to change it out with basic hand tools. I hope AEM comes through with the sticker for ya.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Marganne
Sounds like a great answer, sdsnybny. Unfortunately, I don't have the original OE air box. Looks like it would cost me about $500 to get one. It's not an option for me to switch the parts back and forth even if I spent the $500. I can't do it.

The latest in my saga: My regular mechanic has spoken to the manufacturer who says that, after seeing my documentation, they can send a new parts sticker that will meet the smog check requirements. This isn't for certain yet.

Several of the mechanics I've spoken to say this isn't an unusual situation -- they often have to get a new parts sticker. Has that been the experience here?

yeah that doesnt make sense. if it comes to taking the part off (I really hope not) just buy a DC sport short ram for 105 off ebay, lol. I am pretty sure they are legal for the '05. I have been researching the hell out of this lately, as i am about to finally start modding my '05, and while Tx is pretty lax, ya never know.