Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Got T-boned, xB Totaled (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Whoa, that is terrible. I am glad you up and about. Get a physical therapist and listen to em, even though they may seem harsh... It is your best shot at being able to use stairs and other things that depend on your hip, comfortably, in the long term.

If this kid's mommy is so good at bailing him out, she should be taking responsibility for why this individual with a proven track record is operating a motor vehicle.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya, so this is the part where that kid has his driver's license revoked for 5 years and has to ride his sister's pretty pink bike to school.

Good to hear your alive, but thats pretty lame about your box. I'm sure things will work out.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:55 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mommy may have showed he had his shiny new license, but the kid still should not have been driving - NO INSURANCE...

(Who's car was it, and why did they let him drive it - and if they DID let him drive it, wouldn't *their* insurance be responsible if he had none? Or was the car 'stolen' and he should still be in jail after causing an injury accident? Too many questions, sorry!)

Your box did the best it could to protect you - it obviously took quite a hit. Get good docs and pay attention to them - especially pay attention to PT's - joint injuries can be bad... GET WELL!

Glad to see you actually in as good shape as you are, and hope that you get much better soon.

Try to stay on top of things!

(Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, burned it...)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sorry bout the accident man. I think you would have been safer in a tC with side airbags...no?
Old 10-14-2005, 12:39 PM
Banned
KAD
Scikotics
SL Member

aw..man.. that is just SAD! I think you should hold out for the RS3 in Shamrock Green OH YEAH!

*edit* make sure to go to ALL of your doctors appointments, Pain and Suffering usually = Medical bills x ?(what is it tom, I forgot!) SO RUN UP THOSE MEDICAL BILLS, go to EVERYTHING that you are scheduled for, and then some!
Old 10-14-2005, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

aw man that sucks, hope your doing ok. Sorry to hear about the box, but at least your safe
Old 10-14-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by joe52985
edit: Im confident that if i was wearing my seatbelt, I would have been hurt alot more because I would have stayed in that one spot I got hit instead of getting hit and bouncing the other way
uh... no

When your xB was slamed into, it jumped to the side. Your body tried to stay in one spot. So you had a door traveling at 40MPH ( or whatever it may have been) slam into your body. An object slamming into your body and "bouncing the other way" is not usually a good thing. If you were wearing your seatblet, your body would have attempted to move WITH the xB to the side. Your shoulder and possibly head would most likely have still taken a hit though. Seatbelts exist for a reason.

Anyway, I hate to hear what you're going through and hope you get well soon. Injuries suck.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh man!!! I am glad you are ok even if banged up.. you could have been hurt bad!

I agree with Thomas, get a lawyer, sue the kid. Sue the owner of the car he shouldn't have been driving, sue the cops for letting this menace out again.. Was he "impared"? If the puke is still a minor, you can sue mommy and daddy for all they are worth...and then some...It's called "future earnings"...They knew he shouldn't have been driving, but let him...They contributed to the accident...

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. Sorry that happened.
I agree with the previous posters- sue the punk. Also, hold out for the green RS3 if you get another xB.
Good luck with the recovery/compensation.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:58 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If i had been in the car, i would have waited til' parametics arrived and i'da been like, "OUCH!! My Check!--> Errr, i mean my NECK!!!"
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

punitive damages man, punitive damages
Old 10-14-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad to hear that your alive after looking at that. he mustve been going pretty fast, F*** drivers w/out insurance!!!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

yay my car is totaled . got more doctors appointments and got a good lawyer. now I have to wait for the check from insurance and go buy an xB, are there any yellow ones left?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't emphasize enough, pay attention to your doctors and such. The sort of injuries you may have can affect you the rest of your life if not handled correctly...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by 4est
Originally Posted by joe52985
edit: Im confident that if i was wearing my seatbelt, I would have been hurt alot more because I would have stayed in that one spot I got hit instead of getting hit and bouncing the other way
uh... no

When your xB was slamed into, it jumped to the side. Your body tried to stay in one spot. So you had a door traveling at 40MPH ( or whatever it may have been) slam into your body. An object slamming into your body and "bouncing the other way" is not usually a good thing. If you were wearing your seatblet, your body would have attempted to move WITH the xB to the side. Your shoulder and possibly head would most likely have still taken a hit though. Seatbelts exist for a reason.

Anyway, I hate to hear what you're going through and hope you get well soon. Injuries suck.
He's absolutely 100% right. . . and every single test and all qualified research agrees as well. . . as well as physics. Being attached to the seat would have lessed the blow, as the energy of the impact would push you away from the door, rather than inertia carrying into it.

I'm not going to argue on that, but want to advise you that you may be limited in the damages you can collect. Wearing your seatbelt is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. And in many and most states, not wearing one will limit the damages payable for injuries. . . even if the accident is not your fault.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...want to advise you that you may be limited in the damages you can collect. Wearing your seatbelt is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT. And in many and most states, not wearing one will limit the damages payable for injuries. . . even if the accident is not your fault.
I totally skipped over that, but he is right...

'Round here one is considered to have a portion of the responsibility for any injuries sustained if one was not wearing their 'restraints' properly. "Contributory negilegence" of some percentage is often cited.

The thinking goes that any injuries sustained because you chose not to avail yourself of the provided safety items are entirely your responsibility. The way that can work out is if, say, your injuries are 50% worse than if you'd been wearing your restraints, then that 50% of the medical costs are yours, not the insurance or 'other party.'

You'd still get 100% recovery of damages not related to your own actions, but anything that could be partly your fault you get reduced recovery for.

Be VERY careful in what you say to others. Talk to your lawyer. Listen to your lawyer...
Old 10-14-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just read through this post....I hope everything works out for you and glad you are alive. Good luck with it.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I know I should have been wearing it. but it didnt turn out too bad this time. I know im going to wear it all the time from now on. before it was "if I remember it" type deal. afaik, theres no law around here that limits damages, thank god. but I appreciate the concern and I cannot wait to get back on the road
Old 10-15-2005, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've gotten in the habit of wearing a seatbelt ever since I started driving, and now I feel akward if not wearing it... like jumping in a rollercoaster without pushing down the lap bar. My babysitter when I was young died of a car accident involving a drunk driver, no seatbelt.

I agree with the physics remark - Seatbelts ensure that during a wreck when the car stops or changes momentum, your body does too instead of slamming against parts of the interior or being ejected out a window.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sushi
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Yeah. . . legally, a law would just totally thrash your situation, but even if there is no law, you will have to go through small claims court.

Going through court, you have to deduce who was at fault for the injuries. He will liable for the damage to your property, no matter what. However, the damage to your body, and subsequent financial losses are going to be in question. Depending on the judge, you may completely void any right to any kind of compensation, as 1) you were driving illegally (without a seat belt) and 2) your injuries would have been significantly less, had you been wearing it. The best case scenario is that this is overlooked (depending on how well the defendant's lawyer is. . . or if they provide one in the first place). What will probably happen is that they will only be liable for part of the damages. The reason that a written law is not required is that if they can prove that the injuries were caused by the failure to wear a seatbelt, then it is your fault you sustained injuries. However, the damages to your property would still be the defendant's fault, but injuries. . .

The first question cops/paramedics are supposed to ask you after an accident is regarding your seatbelt and whether or not it was on. The second is about the airbag.

I, like the others, highly recommend you get a good lawyer. Try to remember exactly who you've told, when, and where. . . do not talk to the other party without a lawyer!!! In fact, if I were you, I would delete every post in this thread. The odds of anybody finding this stuff is small, but it's all public domain, and they're "your" written words.

Be VERY careful. Since you will be going through the courts, you have to be.

Quick Reply: Got T-boned, xB Totaled (pics)