Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Headlight trouble. Lights wont turn on.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Headlight trouble. Lights wont turn on.

Hi everyone.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my stock headlights. I went to turn them on today, and they don't work. My running lights come on, blinkers work and everything, but the headlights simply wont come on.

I was running luminics bulbs, and I thought they might have blown out so I switched back to my silverstars, but still nothing.

When I turn my headlights on, all I get is the bright light warning light on the dash.

I looked but I can't find the headlight fuse to check if it blew or not. I looked at the wiring harness that attaches to the lights, and I think I might have blown it.

Anyone have a similar problem, or know how I can fix this? The nearest Scion dealer is 100 miles away, so I hope the local Toyota dealer can fix this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I don't know how I'm even going to get to work now.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

wow... that is something that i have never encountered bro... good luck... let me know how it works out for ya ...

bump
Old 04-07-2007, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Arent there 2 places the fuses are located. One in the engine compartment, and the other in the cab, behind the storage bin above the hood release???
Have you checked those areas for the headlight fuse?

The only problem I had with lights was my speedo lights werent going on when I turned the headlights on.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I checked the fusebox under the steering wheel area, and the one next to the hood latch. I'm sure there is a headlight fuse, but it's probably marked differently then H/L or headlight.

I had to drive home tonight behind a buddy with my hazards on. I'm lucky I didn't get stopped by the cops!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I take it you actually checked for juice at the plug? Do you get anything when you try the high beams? It may not be a fuse. Sounds more like a fried H/L relay. Check those little black cube things in those boxes under the hood. The lids should identify which ones are which. If not use the service manual in the tech section for electric box diagrams.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I tried the highs and everything. I tried looking in the manual but couldn't find anything. It's too late to go out there tonight though, gonna see what I can do tomorrow morning and probably call up Toyota.

Thanks for all the info though fellas.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I tried to access the service manual but now that my premium membership is over I can't gain access to it. It's gotta be something simple so untill it's out of warranty let the dealer deal with it. I still think it's a relay or a fuse.
Old 04-07-2007, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I went out there to look, found the fuses, pulled and replaced them and now the lights work!!!

Im happy right now, but still wondering why they blew. he lumincs bulbs were 60/55 watts, but wouldnt that fry the harness and not the fuse?

Thanks bb2ner though, you helped me out bigtime!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

No , that is why the fuse is there. To save the harness. Glad you found the culprit. It doesn't take much to pop the fuse tho. Good deal!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey one more Q. The fuses were each a 10, and I replaced them with a 15 and a 30. Will that hurt or help?
Old 04-07-2007, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

That is how the the harness gets fried. If you keep popping the 10 amp fuses I wouldn't go anyhigher than a 15 just to be safe. I have the same problem on a different vehicle that has an air horn instead of the stock one. If I hold the horn for too long the fuse gets overloaded and pops.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

The non stock bulbs may be pulling more amps than they are supposed to and causing the fuse to bite it. Or you could have a headlight wire grounding out with the same result. When you get a chance check the HL wiring in the engine compartment for possible damage. Otherwise it may have just been a fluke and may never blow again. Good luck and if in doubt have the dealer double check the system and also make sure there is a 10 amp fuse in there when you take it in. Otherwise they will know you messed with something.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You definitely want to be careful about using higher rated fuses than recommended. I have had previous experience and yes it fried my harness.(Turned out there was a pinched wire.) Hope you don't have any more problems.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

60 watts x 2 = 120 watts = 12 volts x 10 amps you are right at the limits of a 10 amp fuse add a little turn on surge and poof blown fuse. Alternator puts out 14 volts and now the amps go up a little more . . . flip the high beems on and off a few time and you get high and low been turn on surges.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by iheartzombies
Hey one more Q. The fuses were each a 10, and I replaced them with a 15 and a 30. Will that hurt or help?
>>> !HURT! <<<

DON'T DO THAT!!

YOU MIGHT - CAN - (WILL??) FRY YOUR WIRING HARNESS DOING THINGS LIKE THAT. AND MAYBE START A FIRE!!!

(I hope I've made myself clear that substituting a higher amperage fuse is a bad idea.)
Old 04-07-2007, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe up the fuse amps by just a couple?

like if a 10amp fuse was in there, put in a 15? i wouldnt go anymore than 5 amps over stock rating though.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright thanks guys. Ill throw in 10's again, if those pop then Ill go to 15. If those pop it's off to the dealership.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

V E R Y G O O D !
Old 04-07-2007, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

smart choice
Old 02-05-2017, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by iheartzombies
Hi everyone.

I'm having a bit of trouble with my stock headlights. I went to turn them on today, and they don't work. My running lights come on, blinkers work and everything, but the headlights simply wont come on.

I was running luminics bulbs, and I thought they might have blown out so I switched back to my silverstars, but still nothing.

When I turn my headlights on, all I get is the bright light warning light on the dash.

I looked but I can't find the headlight fuse to check if it blew or not. I looked at the wiring harness that attaches to the lights, and I think I might have blown it.

Anyone have a similar problem, or know how I can fix this? The nearest Scion dealer is 100 miles away, so I hope the local Toyota dealer can fix this.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I don't know how I'm even going to get to work now.
I just had same problem on my XB where several lights were not coming on.
Bulbs lookws OK. Filaments were good. Problem was relay.
Open the hood and you will see a fuse/relay box (same side battery is located). There you will find a square relay called H-LP (normally gray). It is the one towards the bottom right hand side - if you standing on the front end. Replace that dude you should be alright.
God bless you all.