Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Help! Rear Skirt Came Off

Help Guys

I was driving through an unexpected rain puddle at 35MPG and the force of the water ripped the whole rear skirt off, should this repair be under the warranty?? Bad Craftsmanship??
Old 02-26-2004, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damn...thats crazy...the whole thing fell off??

last time i hit a deeeeep pothole....part of it fell off, i thought that was crazy enough..

i think they should get u a new one for free...
Old 02-26-2004, 10:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

More than likely the they won't let the warrenty cover it since it was not a defect but was caused by a road hazard. Doesn't hurt to ask but I doubt it.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:19 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Help! Rear Skirt Came Off

Originally Posted by vpkb
Help Guys

I was driving through an unexpected rain puddle at 35MPG and the force of the water ripped the whole rear skirt off, should this repair be under the warranty?? Bad Craftsmanship??

can you post a pic??
Old 02-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Banned
SL Member

Just go to the dealership and tell them it came off for no reason. There's no need for them to know that it came off "allegedly" during hard rain. Remove any scuff marks when possible.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

Originally Posted by fr130
Just go to the dealership and tell them it came off for no reason. There's no need for them to know that it came off "allegedly" during hard rain. Remove any scuff marks when possible.
even then it may be possible for them to cover part of the damage. i had a bubble come in one of my tires a few years back. the car wasnt even a month old, and i called dunlop and explained the situation and they came halfway. the tires was 200 a piece.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Scion is pretty cool.....just tell them what happened and they'd probably help you out.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
IV ACE

they'll help out the first time, or atlleast they did with me. I'm on my 3rd one ryt now and the second 2 were still given with a discount
Old 02-27-2004, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i have contacted Scion; they said it is not possible for them to determine if it will be covered under warranty, i would have to take the car to the dealership for inspection

whatever the case may be, it's still shady for the skirt to come off so easily

i will try to fix it this weekend

.....sorry, no pics.....if you've see those JGTC cars, thats what it looks like, you can see the whole muffler etc....luckily, at least i have a DC one hanging
Old 02-27-2004, 05:46 AM

is there any visiable scratches at all? Which side came off? the one on the muffler side? if there ie no physical damage then take it in and say it was coming off little at a time. Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2004, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys suck.... haha, i just posted about this a day or two ago...

anyhow, the dealership said that they wont cover it, and its like $300 for the piece. forget that, i fixed it myself. mine was just the right side, not the entire thing. if it's not damaged, just put it back on. it clips on. i believe the right side goes on first, then the left side, because there's a lip in the center that puts the two together. there is also a big push pin that holds the inner side of the left skirt up. then i zip tied the two together in the bottom where they come together. if that doesn't make sense, im sorry... but its not too hard to figure out.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by o4 USDM bB
you guys suck.... haha, i just posted about this a day or two ago...

anyhow, the dealership said that they wont cover it, and its like $300 for the piece. forget that, i fixed it myself. mine was just the right side, not the entire thing. if it's not damaged, just put it back on. it clips on. i believe the right side goes on first, then the left side, because there's a lip in the center that puts the two together. there is also a big push pin that holds the inner side of the left skirt up. then i zip tied the two together in the bottom where they come together. if that doesn't make sense, im sorry... but its not too hard to figure out.
Well, it's a big piece of plastic and if it suddenly has to accelerate a large mass of water to your car's speed something will give.

Personally, I think that it's bad design to have that thing waving in the breeze like that. Water splash shouldn't be able to tear any part of your car off!

George
Old 02-27-2004, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is this a common problem for owners? This worries me, I don't want part of my car flyin' off while driving back from Cali in my new box...