Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

High Power Headlight Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 PM

Default High Power Headlight Bulbs

I see where I can get 2 H4 bulbs for off-road 90/100 watts. I live in the counry, little traffic, no cops, coyotes, skunks,cougars, foxes on the roads. Has anybody used this wattage without damaging wiring or starting a fire? I would change the passenger side first, merely because it is the easier. That actually might be all I would need - doesn't get dark here until 9:00 pm right now, in winter around 4:30. I'd hate to hit one of them varmits 'cause I didn't see it!!! (actually I got the 2005 xBox as a father's day present Sunday, I hven't even tried the lights yet!)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 PM

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll just squint into the night, rather than risk an electrical fire!!!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

You could use the stock wires to power a relay to match the higher current draw.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:00 PM

Any suggestions for where to wire to?

PS: I have a new name and PW!!
Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by truett
Any suggestions for where to wire to?

PS: I have a new name and PW!!
Run fused power from the battery to the relays and trigger the relays using the stock headlight wiring...seems pretty simple.

Or you could save yourself the hassle and just look for bulbs that are going to provide a clearer/brighter output but still maintain the same wattage as the stock bulbs.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by MileHightC
Run fused power from the battery to the relays and trigger the relays using the stock headlight wiring...seems pretty simple.

Or you could save yourself the hassle and just look for bulbs that are going to provide a clearer/brighter output but still maintain the same wattage as the stock bulbs.
I've tried HIDs and LEDs but had issues with both. Went back to properly aimed stock housings running Sylvania silver star ultras and am quite happy.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the car has been sitting outside in the sun for a long time, the lights do get sunburned and I have not had success with any of those cleaning kits. We replaced the headlights on the lads xB recently with stock ones and the output is much better.

Makes the car look like new also.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by bB2NER
I've tried HIDs and LEDs but had issues with both. Went back to properly aimed stock housings running Sylvania silver star ultras and am quite happy.
Bingo...probably the best choice as far as 'standard' bulbs go and any HID or LED in the stock housing is going to be a poor choice since it's not a projector housing.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why don't you just do what I've done with my last two xB's - add a set of high powered driving lights. I'm running Hella 500's with 130 watt bulbs. When properly aimed, you can see considerably farther down the road. (The further a light reaches out, the more critical aim gets.) I have them wired through a relay triggered by the high beams. Believe me, when you hit the high beams and get these bad boys too, you won't have to worry about not seeing anything.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:27 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

adjust the headlight beam a lil higher, i can see pretty far when i raised my headlights up on oem spec bulbs