Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   I lost $1700 from my xB budget... (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/i-lost-%241700-my-xb-budget-671/)

Docsnuff 11-20-2003 02:37 AM

I lost $1700 from my xB budget...

First let me say that I spend everyday planning the purchase of my xB, and selling the mustang.

So I was driving along yesterday in my Mustang I saw a car with some really cool tailights so I sped up to look at them, at the RPMs went up, it started sounding funny so I slowed down. Suddenly this hard mettalic clink, clank, and bang happened and the motor started shaking really bad. I got it off the road and turned it off.
So I snapped a rod and seized a piston. So today I drop 1700 bucks for a new (used) motor. So friday I will have the pony back with a motor with only 29,000 miles instead of the 124,000 on my newly dead one.

The good thing is that the younger motor will add value to my car and I can get more for it, the more I get for it the more I can buy for my xB!!!

I was so bummed yesterday, but the outlook looks better today.

Thanks for listening,

Doc

Docofmind 11-20-2003 04:36 AM

What did you , mishift? or not even change gears?

Many, many people do that with the s2000. ever since i bought mine, i have known atleast 10 people doing the same thing.

Luckly for you, pony motors are cheap :)

Hopefuly you get some back in your resale

DibujoB 11-20-2003 04:40 AM

Sounds like you've had a bad day bro! Good luck with the new motor.

DenZinz 11-20-2003 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by DibujoB
Sounds like you've had a bad day bro! Good luck with the new motor.

Sounds like a FORD....

J/K :D

Docsnuff 11-20-2003 10:34 AM

I guess when the car has 124,000 miles on it, you probably shouldn't run every gear through the RPM range and up to red line. I should have started driving it like a blue hair so it lasted till Feb. Oh well I just have to sell it for more...(I hope)

No I didn't misshift, just threw a rod, it was in 2nd gear at about 6000 rpms and it was just moving too fast for that rod to handle, and "BOOM" there is went. I don't mind fords, my pony has been a very reliable car, and it has withstood some serious beatings, I have no complaints with this product, but I cant say anything for there other ones.

Doc

eric_m 11-20-2003 05:35 PM

Re: I lost $1700 from my xB budget...

Originally Posted by Docsnuff
I saw a car with some really cool tailights so I sped up to look at them, at the RPMs went up, it started sounding funny so I slowed down. Suddenly this hard mettalic clink, clank, and bang happened and the motor started shaking really bad. I got it off the road and turned it off. So I snapped a rod and seized a piston.
Doc

see how bad those altezza lights are? they made you throw a rod. sorry to hear about that though. very sad news.

also, $1800 is a lot for an engine. is that including installation and everything? you should be able to get a new block, forged pistons, new rods, sodium filled valves, etc for around that price. even for a V8. you could have a real engine in that thing.

BTW: scion engines are going for around $300 right now. :)

TheRedBox 11-20-2003 05:42 PM

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Docsnuff 11-20-2003 05:45 PM

That is engine, parts, labor, and install. That is not a bad price.

Well I love my FORD but the other day it was Found On Road Dead!!!

Doc

Mr_scion 11-20-2003 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Docsnuff
Found On Road Dead!!!Doc

i was going to say that! hope everthing works out for u

2fixA 11-21-2003 01:35 AM

Dude, if I remember correctly from my 5.0 isn't 6k redline? I don't know about you, but I used to run my engine pretty hard up until it got stolen and I had 180k miles. Bought it at 78k and ran it hard the whole time... what else do you do on a regular basis? either way, too bad to hear about it, and enjoy that power as long as you have it

Docsnuff 11-23-2003 10:46 PM

I got the Pony back today, the heart transplant went well, she just purrs now! I can't believe the power in that car, I guess it really was dying, it is hard to notice the loss of power over a long period of time. But now it runs great, and after New Years, she is goin up for sale...

Doc