Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

I raced a BMW for fun this morning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default aerodynamy

Hey guys about the aerodynamics on the xB, remember its perfectly flat on the bottom.
Civic is not and that has a lot to do with that wind tunnel effect.
But then again you got a slew of body kits to take care of that on a Civic.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-14-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 10-26-2003, 09:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I raced a civic couple days ago and I guess the "Red Genie Aero" give you that aerodynamic you need!!!
Old 10-26-2003, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

not to mention the red genie gives you about 10 whp.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

and about 4.6 ft/lbs. or so of torque. j/k, i really like the red genie body kit not only did you beat that civic (hopefully), you looked good doing it.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Eric M. I don't think that BMW was racing you. Even if it was an automatic it would have laid you down.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Cleveland Steamer
Eric M. I don't think that BMW was racing you. Even if it was an automatic it would have laid you down.
ok.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

You'd be surprised sometimes what a supposedly "slow" car can accomplish.

Admittedly, I don't actually own a Scion yet.......but I am getting one soon for graduation. My current car is a 1987 naturally aspirated Volvo 240. The performance mods aren't extreme........K&N filter.....performance camshaft......adjustable cam gear......chopped off the secondary muffler to cut down a bit on the back pressure. I'd be lucky if I was even hitting 130hp in that big blocky chunk of steel. But.....it's lowered on 17 inch TSW blade rims.......has an impressive exhaust note......a blacked out mesh sport grill.......and a big white sticker across the front window that says "supercharged" (a complete lie by the way). So......I get the occasional hot dog that wants to race me.

My most recent experience was with a Porsche 944. I was doing about 45.....and he pulled up next to me and matched my pace.......looked at me and my car........then took off a bit.........and then waited for me to accept the challenge. Too bad I was at my turnoff........so I took my turn.......and forgot about the Porsche. Till he showed up a couple miles later at a stoplight I was stopped at. I guess he really wanted to race. He took me off the line no problem.......but pretty soon he stopped gaining ground on me........and once i was at about 45-50mph......i was gaining on him...........and past 65........his ___ was toast.

Had a similar experience with a late 90's Stang GT.......he thought he was a tough guy cause he smoked me off the line...........but then got really disturbed when I caught up to him at about 70 and he couldn't shake me.

Also raced some tricked out civic..........this one was a good match up. We raced about 10 miles..........yes.......10 miles.........about a third of which was over surface streets at about 70-75..........then we hit the freeway and got up to about 110. I was out in front the majority of the time........but he pulled on me a little from about 90-100.......after 100.......it was my game again............and he finally had to back off when we hit a bumpy part of the freeway and he started throwing sparks out from under his car.

But I still consider my car slow as an armless monkey in a wheelchair.

KiL
Old 11-07-2003, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Don't get too carry away here guys.. Don't forget it's still an Echo... but great victory. :D and that's one more for the good guys.

________

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-14-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 11-07-2003, 08:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't think any of us are getting carried away or will be getting carried away by the HP #s of a stock Scion. 108hp can't be writting any other way, and we know it.

It's just nice to hear about the Scion being able to hang with cars with more HP than us for a change--instead of always hearing ____ being talked about how it's an echo engine, and how slow the car itself is.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:18 AM
SL Member

Default You have lost your mind...

Originally Posted by eric_m
this morning i was going to work on PCH as usual and me and this new BMW 325 (auto trans) were cruising along together. we pull up next to each other at a light and he starts asking me questions, the usual stuff. after he asks the price and who makes it, etc he asked if it was fast (like a 15,000 toyota is going to be fast) and just to be a jerk i said that it was faster than his new BMW. haha. he said ok, let's find out. so i was like sure, why not? i didn't rev or anything because this was just for fun, so when the light turned green, we both kind of took off. no tires spinning or anything.

well, to my suprise, i pulled a little ahead of him at first, and then after shifting to second gear, i was even farther ahead. he caught up a little at the end of second gear, but i shifted into 3rd and he fell back again. we only took our cars up to 60-70ish, even though it was a big open area, but that was enough for me to see that his 6 cylinder ultimate driving machine was not all that. i never got to talk to him again because there were no more red lights and eventually he turned off, but it's always fun to do stuff like that. it's so 'fast and the furious' (more than you can afford, pal).

my car is running the stock wheels and tires right now and i have a greddy catback exhaust and i'm running 91 octane. teddy said it would help, and it really does. i'm going to be taking my car to california dragway (speedway) this saturday i think, so if any of you guys want to see me take on some high performance cars and look like an idiot out there, there's your chance. i just want to do it for fun. i have nothing to prove, really.

in conclusion, i think the manual trans xB is faster than the automatic transmission. if someone disagrees, i would like to fun the cars side by side and find out.
First off they dont make a "new" 325 , the models are 320, 330, (both 4cyl engines) and a 340 which is the only one with the inline 6. But regardless all of those would have beat your scion quite easily so the guy was obviously not trying. Not hating on your car but make sure you have facts straight before posting nonsense
Old 01-14-2019, 05:20 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_scion
Good to know that it can beat a BMW that is what I have right now
It can't beat a BMW....that is almost funny that people think that.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-14-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pansies! I raced a Saturn 5 rocket this morning with my toaster on the way to MacDonald's for coffee. Let's just say he won't mess with me again!
Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dck8267
First off they dont make a "new" 325 , the models are 320, 330, (both 4cyl engines) and a 340 which is the only one with the inline 6. But regardless all of those would have beat your Scion quite easily so the guy was obviously not trying. Not hating on your car but make sure you have facts straight before posting nonsense
FYI, *Note: You responded to a 15 year old thread started by the OP Senior Member eric_m dated 08-20-2003.
According to his post, the "new" 325 was New in 2003. A 108hp 5-Speed xB vs a 2003 184hp automatic BMW is conceivable.
Not hating on your car but make sure you have facts straight before posting nonsense.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 01-17-2019 at 04:30 PM.