91.40%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

increasing MPG miles per gallon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: increasing MPG miles per gallon?

Originally Posted by andyfilius
... new owner of a 06 XB.... been hovering in the low 30's for MPG.... everyone to post their favorite way to increase MPG....
My '06 averaged 35 mpg for the summers of 2007 and 2007. There is no real way to "mod" or buy your way to good mileage. Your mileage depends on the way you drive and the conditions (like the route, the traffic, the climate).
Old 05-06-2008, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have K&N drop in, header, OBX exhaust (came installed) which would all add to MPG....I have wide sticky 215/45-17 tires and drive quickly around town (stopping, taking off and cornering) and 70% of my driving is on neighborhood streets-25% highway and I get between 27-29MPG always.

When it's wet and I drive the same roads and speeds I get 26-27MPG-friction from the standing water, wheel spin, thicker air (whatever else contributes)

Driving highways back and forth from Portland to Seattle between 70 and and 80MPH I got over 31 but never above 34MPG
Old 05-06-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by HeathenBrewing
... The warmer air from your engine compartment is better for fuel economy because is has less oxygen molecules than a cold air charge. This increases your fuel efficency, but decreases your horsepower....
Warmer air is less dense so the MAF sensor provides less fuel which makes less power. Less power requires more throttle to move the car which reduces fuel efficiency.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
... The warmer air from your engine compartment is better for fuel economy because is has less oxygen molecules than a cold air charge. This increases your fuel efficency, but decreases your horsepower....
Warmer air is less dense so the MAF sensor provides less fuel which makes less power. Less power requires more throttle to move the car which reduces fuel efficiency.
Cold air=more power, and you use less of the accelerator pedal, which is basically the throttle control. Less use of the pedal = (basically) closed throttle plate. Closed throttle plate means a restriction of the "air pump, or intake" you have a pumping loss in that air is not getting in efficiently.

Warm air = less power, and you use more of the accelerator pedal, which is basically a throttle control. More use of the pedal = a more open throttle plate. Open throttle plate means there is less of a blockage thats letting the air in, reducing the pumping loss.

At wide open throttle, you have (basically) no pumping loss at the throttle plate. so warm air intakes wont do anything here. But unless 55mph makes you have to floor it to keep going 55, a warm intake will do something. That something depends on the vehicle.

A warm air intake or WAI is a system to decrease the amount of the air going into a car for the purpose of increasing the fuel economy of the internal-combustion engine. ..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_air_intake
Old 05-06-2008, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i just filled up yesterday and got 32mpg. i race light to light, i have short ram intake and some torque master spark plugs and since i have put them in 3 weeks ago my milage has gone up every tank. i also need to get an oil change but mikage is still going up.... i just put on my 17"s yesterday and we will see how that goes
Old 05-06-2008, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

Originally Posted by CHPRBOX8
i just filled up yesterday and got 32mpg. i race light to light, i have short ram intake and some torque master spark plugs and since i have put them in 3 weeks ago my milage has gone up every tank. i also need to get an oil change but mikage is still going up.... i just put on my 17"s yesterday and we will see how that goes
idk HOW you do that...
so you say those plugs work? how much?
Old 05-07-2008, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
I understand this logic, however I'd like to see a test performed - same driver and driving style , same day/temp. outside, using a CAI vs. WAI on the same driving route and see what the mpg difference is.

Given my driving style now (conservative for the most part) , if a CAI would then increase my mpg, even by a 1/2 mpg better per gallon , I'd go to a CAI
Old 05-07-2008, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mrfuzzy4
Originally Posted by CHPRBOX8
idk HOW you do that...
so you say those plugs work? how much?
idk either but so far they are working they were like $56 with shipping...no gaping needed just pull old plugs and install new plugs very easy

here is the link
http://www.newscionparts.com/product/?id=1779
Old 05-07-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
I understand this logic, however I'd like to see a test performed - same driver and driving style , same day/temp. outside, using a CAI vs. WAI on the same driving route and see what the mpg difference is.

Given my driving style now (conservative for the most part) , if a CAI would then increase my mpg, even by a 1/2 mpg better per gallon , I'd go to a CAI
I don't feel like digging out the threads, but there have been several people on http://www.gassavers.org/ and http://www.cleanmpg.com/ who have done a WAI and seen measurable (though minor) MPG improvements. And these are people who track every tank of gas and are constantly experimenting to find what will up their MPG. The general consensus is that warmer engines using warmer air produce the best MPG (at the expense of HP)

Think of it this way, your car is set up to run optimally with a certain air/fuel mixture. Since cold air is denser, it takes more fuel to get that correct a/f mix. So if the same amount of air is flowing through, then you'd use more fuel with a CAI.
Also remember that on a modern FI engine more throttle doesn't automatically mean more fuel burned, it is a matter of air density, not throttle position, that determines the amount of fuel used.

Look up the thread here on removing the airbox snorkel, and the MPG gains people are claiming from them.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member

i think the best way to increase MPG would be to combine all of the choices... and also throw in synthetic motor oil maybe..?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a pretty heavy foot, its just the way it is. i noticed a considerable drop in mpg so i started driving a little easier and it got worse. first drop was bad gas, after that got throught the system it went up a bit then dropped when i started friving easier. To test this theory i went to the same pump at the same station and ran the hell out of it and got about 5 more mpg than when taking it easy. My car likes being run hard i guess.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Super-Stormtrooper07
....however I'd like to see a test performed - same driver and driving style , same day/temp. outside, using a CAI vs. WAI on the same driving route and see what the mpg difference is...
You mean like the one I posted on page 1?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlackTop
i have a pretty heavy foot, its just the way it is. i noticed a considerable drop in mpg so i started driving a little easier and it got worse. first drop was bad gas, after that got throught the system it went up a bit then dropped when i started friving easier. To test this theory i went to the same pump at the same station and ran the hell out of it and got about 5 more mpg than when taking it easy. My car likes being run hard i guess.
same with mine i baby it and it wants to eat the gas, drive it like i stole and give me better gas milage. its all about the vvti and the ecu that has learned you driving habits.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Must be-mine is the same way. 28 MPG plus driving like a nut (quickly accelerating to the speed limit) and corners, I like corners.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM
SL Member

ok, i always averaged 27-28 mpg.
i drive 70 miles round trip for work 5 days a week on the NJ turnpike averaging 65 mph.
last week i changed the bosch platinum +4 plugs to ngk iridium plugs.
at the end of the week i filled up and averaged 31.7 mpg
i never believed plugs would add to mpg but facts are facts.
also the engine just plain ran better , it sounded nice and tight.

i also have injen s/r, strup axelback, and 17" rims.

anybody know if my psi of 30 is to low? i
Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by PETERY2KRABBIT
anybody know if my psi of 30 is to low? i
i go to discoute tire and on my 17" they told me to run 40psi for tire ware the ride is ruff but nothing that i cant handle and so far the tires still look brand new with about 12,000 miles on them
Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

nothing has ever changed mpg for me but driving style and wheels and tires..my 18's get a few less mpg than my 15's
Old 05-07-2008, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Sciond
nothing has ever changed mpg for me but driving style and wheels and tires..my 18's get a few less mpg than my 15's
so do my 17" but nothing but like 2mpg if any at all
Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had 18s when I first got it-worse MPG but they were heavy.

40psi is probable a bit high-our cars are light. I tried 35 and that is ok, 30 in the front gives me much better turn in on the old tires, the new ones like 32-35 is fine.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I installed satellite radio in December 2007, and I have notice that my mileage has improved by just over 10% since the install, from an average of 27 mpg to 31 mpg. With current gas prices, it has already paid for itself.

Quick Reply: increasing MPG miles per gallon?