Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/)
-   -   Intake and Foglight Issues (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xb-1st-gen-owners-lounge-1602/intake-foglight-issues-29097/)

wolf3275 07-01-2005 04:50 PM

Intake and Foglight Issues

I have searched this site and seen one or two discussions about the foglight rubbing the cold air intake on the scion XB. I just got mine and have the same issue. I was told by a friend that there is an actual fix for this (a new foglight / bulb connector that points up rather than down).

I have not been able to find where anyone talks about this. Does anyone have any idea if this type of part exists?

My dealership is working with me to find a solution, but according to them there are no technical reports on this being an issue with the scion XB.

Sorry to bring up the same subject. I am just wondering if the part or fix exists.

Thanks

KingofQueens23 07-01-2005 07:16 PM

I took mine to the Dealer and all they did was Loosen the Clamp..Slide the Air Filter Down an Inch..Tighten the Clamp. No Rubbing! You can do it yourself.
I don't know of any "Part" to fix it.

eggie 07-01-2005 08:47 PM

A more specific description on the intake would be helpful. Brand and especially what type of intake.

For instance my Injen short ram rubbed slightly and I adjusted the pipe and filter and it was fine.

wolf3275 07-01-2005 09:29 PM

Sorry, I guess that would help.

AEM cold air intake ordered through toyota (the one that fits both the XA and XB)

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55160 - First one on this link or:

Product: AEM Cold Air Induction System (AKA Dealer CAI)
Type: Cold Air Intake
Part no.: PTS26-52040
Colors: Polish, Orange, Yellow, Red?, Blue?, Silver?
Application: xA/xB
No. of pipes: 2
Significant bends: 5-6
CARB EO Status: Approved 2004-2005 xA/xB

My foglight actually popped out and I was able to push it back in. I believe based on what I see that adjusting the filter lower than it is, is not an option as the filter is already down around the bend in the pipe.

I am guessing that if some type of electical plug is not available, that the entire intake will have to be adjusted by adding spacers of some sort to where it mounts to the frame.

I ordered the intake from toyota and had it installed before purchase. If I had known there were so many optional intakes and taken the time to look around I would have known to maybe go with something different. Now I am stuck with it and it is driving me crazy (my own fault).

My dealership is still looking and attempting to contact toyota about this issue. They just can't seem to find anything about this issue. So I am trying to help by posting here and in other communities for a fix / answer.

Sorry I didn't have the information about the intake posted sooner. I realize it would have helped.

squirrel 07-01-2005 11:05 PM

The AEM CAI has always had fitment issues w/ the xBs foglights. A minor adjustment w/ the filter and it should be fine.

firesquare 07-01-2005 11:18 PM

wow that sucks. any pictures. i know its under the hood and a good pic is hard to see and all...

wolf3275 07-02-2005 11:41 AM

I am taking it to the dealer this morning (Saturday July 2, 2005) I'll attempt to take some pics before I leave and post them on my website. I will post the link later today.

TheShortBus 07-03-2005 12:13 PM

fogs vs. intake

I have the AEM intake installed with factory fogs on my 05 TCM. Thanks to SL.com threads I was aware of the two bumping together, and came up with this remedy . . .

Take a short bungee cord (maybe 18-24" stretched-out), bend ONE of the plastic-coated hooks into an '"el" with an ALMOST-right angle bend. Reach down into engine bay from front of car and carefully hook the "el" over top far-right of top of conical CAI filter (important to have that "el" not the hook so filter isn't poked through). then slowly pull bungee's other end diagonally away from filter JUST until slight tension is felt. Find a place to anchor that hook end AND check to make sure you should now have a finger's width gap between foglamp reflector-back and your precious CAI filter. PRESTOh! No more rattles, rubs, dips, or foggie goosies!

Oh yeah---color of bungee is optional, but for a clean, trick engine bay, why not color-match to your 4 or 8-gauge grounding DIY kit (I chose electric blue), found elsewhere in ScionLife threads? E N J O Y . . .

wolf3275 07-03-2005 01:28 PM

Dealer was able to fix the issue by adjusting the entire AEM CAF. They now sit about 2 or more inches apart.

Thanks for all who replied!

eggie 07-03-2005 02:08 PM

Thanks for clearing thing up.

When putting these intakes on some people with begin tightening the clamps too soon when messes up the fitment possibilities, like in your case.

Glad you got it resolved.

slipknot490 08-10-2005 05:24 AM

sorry to revamp an old thread but I am having these issues too. I did as said here and moved the filter down as far as I could(there is a lip inside the filter) and now i have around 1/2" clearance but my fogs shake and move around while driving VERY bad. They do not fit tight. Any fixes for this problem? PLEASE HELP! lol

Max 08-10-2005 11:58 AM

I just took mine to the dealer and they repositioned the CAI. No more rubbing! It took me a couple trips as they thought the foglight was simply loose. They finally got the CAI moved on the third trip.

SFScionGuy 08-10-2005 12:25 PM

my friend had the same problem, the dealer did the same thing and he now has no rubbing

slipknot490 08-10-2005 06:39 PM

But is there a fix for the "wobbly" loose fitting foglights? I can't keep them pointing where I need them and they move every time I hit a bump in the road.

Max 08-10-2005 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by slipknot490
But is there a fix for the "wobbly" loose fitting foglights? I can't keep them pointing where I need them and they move every time I hit a bump in the road.

My dealer said there was no adjustment. This resulted in them not fixing the cause, which was the CAI and fog hitting. Once the CAI was moved, the FOG doesn't shake anymore, and is not pointed at the ground.

Davestoaster 08-11-2005 12:16 AM

I just put on the AEM CAI myself last week. I had the same issues. I delt with them by loosening all the clamps including the transmission mount bolt, and starting at the filter, moving the filter and tubing away slightly, and then tightening all the clamps. BUT, that still did not give me enough clearance. SO, once all the clamps and bolt was tight, I just took ahold of the tubing at the filter and pulled hard.

Don't woory too much. Any bending you do to it at this point, the pressure is applied to the transmission mount bracket, and not the clamps or the filter, or the throttle body.

I bet you that is all the Toyota Mechanics do.....BEND IT !!