Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Just a Scion xB noob looking for some 411.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 12:24 AM
SL Member

Default Just a Scion xB noob looking for some 411.

I have been wanting to get a Box for awhile now, always loved the 1st Gens. The opportunity finally arrived and was able to get one. Now, mechanically its sound, but could use some mad TLC on the outside. Previously owned by a co worker who lived out in the boonies, so it needed a good detail to say the least. Seeing as how I'm new to the Scion scene, to Scionlife.com, and basically imports, just looking for any feedback on the xB. Common failures, common fixes, best websites or local shops ( I'm in Houston, TX) for body and engine parts. Just trying to get into the scene. Loving the xB a lot so far; looking to keep it a long time. Any 411 is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

*Administrator's Note:
Sticky How To Advanced Search SL (Scion Life)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 08-30-2018 at 01:17 AM. Reason: Administrator's Note
Old 07-13-2017, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They are surprisingly reliable - how many miles?
You may find standard spark plugs wear out fast - use iridium for longer life
The A/C blower motor seems to get to about 110K miles, but not much further.

Just spend some time coasting thru the threads here
Old 07-13-2017, 04:38 AM
SL Member

I got it with 190k. Yes. I know. That's up there, but it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Good news, maintenance was always kept up with. No mechanical issues noted. The A/c still blowing cold. I'm getting about 45 degrees out of the vents. I did notice that the drivers window goes down fine, but sometimes struggles to go up. Will go up,stop., then after I wait about 2 mins it will go up again,stop. Etc. also the door locks for rear doors are pretty weak. I read some other threads and it looks like it's a common thing. Looks like I need some actuators for back doors. Like I said, it does need some mad TLC.. I'll keep looking thru these threads tho, THANKS
Old 07-22-2017, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My Son's xB is only around 130K so the window regulators have not failed yet. It may be worth your while to take the door panel off and have a look at the regulator to see if any of the rollers are made of plastic (white nylon)
and if they have cracked or fallen off. The heat does that and as I see you are in TX, that is a normal failure mode. Might just want to wait till winter for that job and just keep the window up.

I did a repair guide for a Honda Accord (crap window regulators)

It may give you an idea on how to DIY the xB
Try WD40 on the door locks before buying new ones.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2017, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Congrats on getting a Box. The more you drive it the more you'll fall in love.
After totaling my first Box I thought I could live without one. No dice, had to get another within 2 years. ENJOY!!!!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-21-2018 at 06:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-21-2018, 04:37 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
They are surprisingly reliable - how many miles?
You may find standard spark plugs wear out fast - use iridium for longer life
The A/C blower motor seems to get to about 110K miles, but not much further.

Just spend some time coasting thru the threads here
196k miles... 1st thing that went out on it? Evaporator. FML. Replaced evaporator, expansion valve, blower motor (for good measure) and the dessicant bag in condenser.. I will be doing a complete tune up when it hits 200k. I'll rock with the iridium's for sure
Old 02-21-2018, 04:40 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
My sons Xb is only around 130K so the window regulators have not failed yet. It may be worth your while to take the door panel off and have a look at the regulator to see if any of the rollers are made of plastic (white nylon) and if they have cracked or fallen off. The heat does that and as I see you are in TX, that is a normal failure mode. Might just want to wait till winter for that job and just keep the window up.
I did a repair guide for a honda accord (crap window regulators) it may give you an idea on how to DIY the xB
Try WD40 on the door locks before buying new ones.
Great input. As of now, the window motor is still kicking.. it's just selective on when it doesn't want to work. Verified it wasn't the switch. So for sure it's the window motor.. too many miles on it.. will be replacing soon.. LOVING THE CAR SO FAR!