Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Key stuck. Help?

Old 02-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Default Key stuck. Help?

Key is stuck. I can turn on car. Move it around in ignition but when I push it in to lock it just won't cone out. I've moved steering wheel around. Shifted in and out of park. Just won't budge. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spray a good amount of carburetor cleaner inside the keyhole.......turn key, wiggle the key, move the key around......once it is able to be removed, douche the keyhole with more carburetor cleaner then let the cleaner dry for 30 minutes or so. Once dry, insert some graphite powder into the keyhole. Graphite is a powder lubricant.....not a grease or oil type of lubricant.

Graphite powder can be purchased at any local auto parts store. It is more commonly known as "Lock Ease".

If this solves your problem, you will know that the key cylinder was dirty.
If this doesn't solve your problem, you will know that something in the lock cylinder is broken.

If it is infact broken, you are lucky because it will be necessary to turn the key to the "ACC" position to easily replace the keyhole.......normally, when the keyhole breaks, it WONT turn which means it needs to be drilled, hammered and beat on to replace it.

Search this Thread